Jump to content
Kindanewtothis

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...

Recommended Posts

Kindanewtothis

Rinced the sponges in the canister filter and change the carbon.

 

Changed the filter in the powerhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Would a hob skimmer do a better job than my tonze 9001 (designed for up to 37 gallons) or would I just empty the cup less often? The tonze skims, I'm getting darker ice tea water from it and some brown "goo" in the cup.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I feel that your skimmer is adequate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Flame angel now nips on the glass, it never did that before. I guess that's a good sign too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Only swiped the front glass and blew the dinos off the rocks with the baster.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Your Royal Gramma seems to be out and about more frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Your Royal Gramma seems to be out and about more frequently.

Really and it goes all around the tank now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

New zoas are not opening in the 10g

20210725_185350.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Phosphate is back to 0.10 in the 50g.

 

Dosing NeoPhos to take it back to 0.15.

 

I know, I know.. 

 

The way I see it something is consuming the phosphate and the phyto is not enough to maintain it.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
46 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Dosing NeoPhos to take it back to 0.15.  I know,

I'm with you.  Normally I wouldn't be dosing phosphate when your level is 0.10; however, as part of your treatment protocol, I'm all for dosing it back up to 0.15ppm.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

So dosing NeoPhos did not bring the phosphate back to 0.15... it's now even lower at 0.07.

 

@seabass you said something about the phyto that could either raise or lower the phosphate, I would bet on the lower side.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Dosing phyto will immediately raise phosphate (but not by that much), then afterwards, it's possible that the phyto can consume some of the available phosphate in the water.  I'm not sure what the net change would be.  Plus, there are a number of other consumers of phosphate (like cyano, corals, and any other photosynthetic life).  Obviously, keep monitoring, and try to maintain stability.

 

Also, there is a fairly big margin of error in that test, so don't get too worked up over the number (it's a ballpark).

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Also, there is a fairly big margin of error in that test, so don't get too worked up over the number (it's a ballpark).

Yeah and I've tested it (doing 2 tests in a row). Most of the time I get about a 0.02 margin.

 

But I went from 0.10 to 0.07 so at best phosphate stayed "stable".

 

Also, regarding the phyto, it says 1 to 5 teaspoons per 100g, so in my case 1/2 to 2.5 teaspoons. I'm dosing 1 teaspoon (5 ml) in the 50g and 1ml in the 10g. Should I dose more ?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I culture my own phyto, and once a week I dump in almost a quart of it in a 40 gallon tank.  Increasing the dose shouldn't be a problem, but you'll run out sooner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
19 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Only swiped the front glass and blew the dinos off the rocks with the baster.

The dinos are not back on the rocks for now. The sandbed is full, but not getting worst. 

20210726_094409.jpg

20210726_094353.jpg

20210726_094348.jpg

20210726_094342.jpg

20210726_094325.jpg

20210726_094338.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw

Glad somebody else is going through the ugly stages besides just me ( on my 7 mo old tank ).  I actually thought early on, that I somehow lucked out and would not have an ugly phase.

 

I was WRONG!!!!

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
36 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Glad somebody else is going through the ugly stages besides just me ( on my 7 mo old tank ).  I actually thought early on, that I somehow lucked out and would not have an ugly phase.

 

I was WRONG!!!!

 

 

I hope dinos are just a stage... I prefer what seems to be diatoms in the 10g

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Phosphate is 0.12 in the 50g, dosed Neophos 5.7ml.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
22 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I hope dinos are just a stage... I prefer what seems to be diatoms in the 10g

Talked to my LFS and decided not to worry about em.  I have been rocking zero nitrates / phos and a light load from 1 fish.

 

I've recently upped my feeding and going to add another fish.  Already noticed some of my DINO wall has been clearing up on it's own ( crossing fingers ). Time will tell.  

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
23 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Talked to my LFS and decided not to worry about em.  I have been rocking zero nitrates / phos and a light load from 1 fish.

 

I've recently upped my feeding and going to add another fish.  Already noticed some of my DINO wall has been clearing up on it's own ( crossing fingers ). Time will tell.  

 

 

 

 

Fishs do not seem to care about Dino, except my flame angel that doesn't nip on rocks anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Fishs do not seem to care about Dino, except my flame angel that doesn't nip on rocks anymore.

The extra livestock was to increase my bioload as a natural way to raise nutrient level via extra food / poop / nitrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
24 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

The extra livestock was to increase my bioload as a natural way to raise nutrient level via extra food / poop / nitrate.

Yeah I understand. 

 

In my case nitrate is high (around 20) but I don't know since when because I was obviously reading my nitrate test wrong because I thought I was under 5... 

 

The tank looks terrible, sand is full of dinos and it is back on the rocks too. The walls are green and brown (dinos). Fish and corals are looking good and growing.

20210727_145621.jpg

20210727_145617.jpg

20210727_145607.jpg

20210727_145558.jpg

20210727_145546.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Keep up the efforts.  It's going to take time.

 

This seems like a very a bi-polar thread where you report that things are looking better, followed by (only several hours later) reports that it's getting worse again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
Just now, seabass said:

Keep up the efforts.  It's going to take time.

 

This seems like a very a bi-polar thread where you report that things are looking better, followed by (only several hours later) reports that it's getting worse again.

Yep, a couple hours of light and it's terrible again. I had to blow off the rocks again... seems it was just a pause.

 

On the bright side, there seems to be cyano a little bit everywhere mixed with the dinos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

You guys are still positive that I should not clean and let the pods and algae establish?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...