inTank Media Baskets

Phyto water usually does contain some phosphate.  However, the phytoplankton itself will consume phosphate.  So I'm saying that while it might add phosphate, it might also cause additional phosphate consumption.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Brightwell NeoPhos ordered...

Free shipping with 99$ purchase? If you insist, I'll add a Hanna checkers Nitrate LR with that 🙂

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis

-Siphoned all the sand bed.

-Removed a lot of dinos and about 3 gallons of water.

-Filtered the water 3 times and returned the water in the tank.

-there are algaes on the glass, would need to use a blade but I'm thinking since it's something else than dinos I'll leave it for now.

20210715_104319.jpg

20210715_104324.jpg

• Like 2

Yes. They are still extremely small.

Try a magnifying glass or zoom in with your phone camera on your rocks. If you see movement hold still on that area for awhile. Might need 5-10X zoom.

Kindanewtothis
41 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Yes. They are still extremely small.

Try a magnifying glass or zoom in with your phone camera on your rocks. If you see movement hold still on that area for awhile. Might need 5-10X zoom.

"We do not call CopePODS microscopic because they can be seen with the naked eye, but the nauplii (babies) are." 

Edit: Did not see anything in the bottles, just green "water".

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Did not see anything in the bottles, just green "water".

When looking closely, you should have been able to observe some life in the bottle.  Sometimes you have to tap the bottle to see movement.

I suppose that you could contact the supplier.  IDK, maybe they were exposed to high heat during shipping; and maybe they'd be willing to send a replacement.

Although I'm not all that surprised you aren't seeing tons of pods crawling around your tank.  Conditions must be optimal in order for a population bloom to occur.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

When looking closely, you should have been able to observe some life in the bottle.  Sometimes you have to tap the bottle to see movement.

I suppose that you could contact the supplier.  IDK, maybe they were exposed to high heat during shipping; and maybe they'd be willing to send a replacement.

Although I'm not all that surprised you aren't seeing tons of pods crawling around your tank.  Conditions must be optimal in order for a population bloom to occur.

Damn I was expecting a "take it slow" "be patient" type comment.

Sent them an e-mail, will see.

The others pods are on their way.

55 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Damn I was expecting a "take it slow" "be patient" type comment.

You are essentially seeding life, not stocking it.  However, I've seen pod populations explode, and I've seen where seeded pods just seem to disappear; it kind of depends if they have what they need to thrive, and what predators are in the tank.  IDK, dino invested tanks might not be the optimal conditions for pods.  Still, I feel that adding pods is a good step to take.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Answer from the pods supplier:

It can take weeks before the culture is more visible .

A trick I would try is give it a couple of more weeks then shine a flash light at the tank after a hour or so when the light have been turned off .

The pods will go towards the light.

I’d not worry about the health of the pods as they were only on the shelf a few days before shipping.

• Like 1

The picture I showed with tons of pods on my 20H glass was 2 months after seeding with one bottle and dosing phytos almost daily. They currently have no predators. After a couple weeks I would see them when I used my camera in zoom mode. Someone with younger eyes might see them without help.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, PeterU said:

The picture I showed with tons of pods on my 20H glass was 2 months after seeding with one bottle and dosing phytos almost daily. They currently have no predators. After a couple weeks I would see them when I used my camera in zoom mode. Someone with younger eyes might see them without help.

Thanks, it's been only a week in my case.

Kindanewtothis

They say 1 bottle is for 30 gallons.

I'm thinking 1 bottle in the 10g and keeping one for later.

And 1 bottle a week for 4 weeks in the 50g.

Instructions say to remove the sticker and the cap and to put the bottle itself in the tank for 24-48 hours.

23 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.08 in the 50g (was 0.04 yesterday and it could be the tester)

Also, phosphate is still going up in the 50g, it's now 0.14. Could it be the phyto? Brightwell Neophos will arrive today, I don't think I need it.

15 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Brightwell Neophos will arrive today, I don't think I need it.

It's still good to have it on hand should phosphate start to decline.  If it bottoms out while you are waiting for a delivery, you could be back to square one.

• Thanks 1
On 5/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Is a flame angelfish too big?

I have a flame angel in my reefer 170 and she’s been a model citizen.  I think the key to it is keep them well fed so they don’t go after your coral.  But you are always taking a chance with angelfish.   I added mine when she was a juvenile but I would wait it out till your tank is more established.

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

I have a flame angel in my reefer 170 and she’s been a model citizen.  I think the key to it is keep them well fed so they don’t go after your coral.  But you are always taking a chance with angelfish.   I added mine when she was a juvenile but I would wait it out till your tank is more established.

Thanks but so far it has been a model citizen vs the corals.20210614_130756.thumb.jpg.82de3d756b7cc179ad89f9ca27c4616c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thanks but so far it has been a model citizen vs the corals.20210614_130756.thumb.jpg.82de3d756b7cc179ad89f9ca27c4616c.jpg

That’s great!  I realized that my reply is to your post in May.  😳

• Haha 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)