Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kindanewtothis
12 minutes ago, seabass said:
  • siphon out some of the sand with the dinos
  • filter the water (as indicated earlier) and return it
  • thoroughly rinse the removed sand with tap water and return it

Ok I'm lost. I was siphoning some of the sand with the dinos then returning the water (filtered) but not keeping the sand.

Then I asked if I could vaccum the sand bed because of the tisbe pods and the answer was that it was best not...

So please enlight me 🙂

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Each product has their own instructions. Mine was every other day, 1ml per some odd gallons.

Me it's 1 to 5 drops per gallon per day... and it doesn't really "drop"... gonna use a syringe. 

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Wait, it has to be at night?

You should dose pods at night, so that the fish won't eat them all.  However, I haven't really considered dosing phyto only at night.

Ok I'm lost. I was siphoning some of the sand with the dinos then returning the water (filtered) but not keeping the sand.

Then I asked if I could vaccum the sand bed because of the tisbe pods and the answer was that it was best not...

So please enlight me 🙂

Haha, yes we're giving you conflicting information.  Welcome to reef keeping. :lol:

Yeah, removing dinos from the sand will likely also remove some sand and pods.  You certainly should wait at least a day after adding pods before you do any tank maintenance.  If you feel that you can let things go (leaving the tank a little dirty), then that's what I'd do.  However, as things get worse, you might consider removing the larger concentrations of dinos.  Does that help at all?  It's a real pickle.  I feel there is some intuition involved.

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, removing dinos from the sand will likely also remove some sand and pods.  You certainly should wait at least a day after adding pods before you do any tank maintenance.  If you feel that you can let things go (leaving the tank a little dirty), then that's what I'd do.  However, as things get worse, you might consider removing the larger concentrations of dinos.  Does that help at all?  It's a real pickle.  I feel there is some intuition involved.

The pods were added last thursday, so I guess I'll wait more and just siphon the dinos from the rocks and coral. I'll clean the glass (which I must do daily) I don't like the idea of removing pods that I just added (and paid a lot for). It helps to siphon and filter the water but after a day or two it's all back.

Wait, it has to be at night?

Mine suggested doing it at night as other life like fish are asleep and more pods will come out and not be at threat.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, rough eye said:

pods will be on rocks too. [ftfy]

Yes, I agree.  I suppose that's good, as removing some pods from the substrate won't necessarily get rid of all of the pods in the tank (and vice versa).

4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

that's the best I can do with this gadget.imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

2021_07_12_21_47_45_651.png

Do they look like any of these.

Do they move or flip over?

IMG_0401.JPG

VideoCapture_20180819-132341.jpeg

VideoCapture_20180819-132432.jpeg

Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, seabass said:

Can you at least see them moving around?  Can you do video with it?

Are you using a slide with a cover?

Yes I see them moving around and yes I can video with it. Will try again today.

No slide with a cover, don't have any

Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Do they look like any of these.

Do they move or flip over?

IMG_0401.JPG

VideoCapture_20180819-132341.jpeg

VideoCapture_20180819-132432.jpeg

Yes they look like this and they move.

Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, rough eye said:

pods will been rocks too.

Yeah I guess so but removing dinos with a baster will surely take out less pods than vaccuming the whole sand bed.

Kindanewtothis

On the AI prime facebook group I was told to cut the UV and Violet from my lights to fight the dinos (not a blackout).

No slide with a cover, don't have any

I only mention that, as it might allow you to get closer, to up the magnification.  I have a similar scope, and was surprised just how close you need to get the lens to the subject at high magnification.  I'm not sure that a slide would actually help; I was primarily just curious.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

On the AI prime facebook group I was told to cut the UV and Violet from my lights to fight the dinos (not a blackout).

Like I implied earlier, a blackout only disperses the cells, it doesn't promote competition, and it doesn't kill dino cells.  I'm not sure that cutting the UV/violet spectrum does much to combat dinos.  However, maybe it encourages competing algae growth.  I've been contemplating this too, in my effort to promote algae growth.

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I have a similar scope, and was surprised just how close you need to get the lens to the subject at high magnification

Cannot get closer without removing a part of the scope. It's directly standing in the water. Picture as exemple.

20210713_090106.jpg

• Thanks 1

If I can remember correctly, I believe that you can remove the clear guard to get even closer.  I assume that it's not adjusted all the way to 1000x.

Not that it's absolutely necessary, as you have identified them as dinos through the shake test and via your microscope.  I'm not sure about a positive ID, but I don't feel that an identification would change your plan of action anyways.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
18 minutes ago, seabass said:

can remember correctly, I believe that you can remove the clear guard to get even closer.

After looking, I don't think it can be removed without breaking it.

Kindanewtothis

Just water from cleaning the glass with a sponge. The  same water after 10 minutes under de lights.

Then still the same water but filtered and returning to the tank.

20210713_135533.jpg

20210713_140454.jpg

20210713_141550.jpg

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Makes me wonder when this appears in the 10g after lowering phosphate

Does it look brown like it does in your 50 gallon tank, or is it reddish?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)