Pod Your Reef

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I never changed water in my 25g during waterchanges and the floss packed in a filter sock, caught alot of dino's.

Thanks for sharing that.  And maybe filter floss is sufficient.  But, IDK, maybe a finer micron filter would be even better.  It certainly helps having someone posting here that has successfully navigated this problem.

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks for sharing that.  And maybe filter floss is sufficient.  But, IDK, maybe a finer micron filter would be even better.  It certainly helps having someone posting here that has successfully navigated this problem.

There was really dinos in the floss. I've used a lot of floss and filtered some of the water twice. Now I'm almost out of floss, gonna have to get more to do it again but I don't think I'll be able to do it as often as you did... I have toddlers...

• Wow 1
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Only whites on 133%. The rest is 0. Now it looks green.

i know how it is. i have extra actinic lights on my tank so when taking a photo, even when it looks white to the naked eye, the photo comes out blue. makes it hard because no one can actually see what you see.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Definitely.

I can't remember the micron of filter sock recommended but it was the smallest available, which i couldn't get here. So i used what i had at home for filter sock and stuffed it with the floss...i went through a lot of floss between that and changing out the floss every other day in the tank. 

Another thing i noticed was alk wasn't being consumed as much when i had dino's. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
23 minutes ago, rough eye said:

my tank earlier today.

july south side.jpg

So it's those algae that are missing in my tank?

15 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So it's those algae that are missing in my tank?

beside the GHA which is obvious, i have healthy amounts of coralline in 3 or 4 different colors, film algae, and have even had some bubble algae, but there's a lot more diversity - brittle stars, asterina stars, a  couple different kinds of snails that i never introduced, sponges, feather dusters and other worms, copepods and amphipods, not to mention all the things that can't seen: various strains of bacteria and other microorganisms. they're all competing for a place and doesn't leave a whole lot of room for anything too bad. i even have a little cyano; it's a very small amount and has been very easy to contain in the past so i don't even bother with it. there are probably dinos in there but they can't overrun the tank. (knock on wood) 🙂

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

I think yesterday's clean up paid off. Lights are not open yet and there seems to be less dinos than usual. I know they will spread when the lights go on but idk it looks better this morning.

20210703_065503.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Doing the light test with water that came from a sponge I used to clean the glass (same way I did the first light test). I then filtered the water with floss. I'm waiting to see how much dinos went through.

Kindanewtothis

So the answer is yes, some dinos go through the floss but not a lot.

In this case refiltering...

20210703_093713.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

IDK, could just be that it needs to poop.

Could be. It used to be so big and more pink/brown with green tips, now it's more mauve and green. There is of course the lighting in all this. It used to be closer to the lights and was then always fully open (except at night) when it was on the rocks. Now that it is in the sand idk it's half the size.

20210704_085241.jpg

• Sad 1
Kindanewtothis

Help, I've blowed on the frogspawn with the turkey baster to remove long dinos on it and a polyp detached itself. Will it be ok?

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Help, I've blowed on the frogspawn with the turkey baster to remove long dinos on it and a polyp detached itself. Will it be ok?

It's certainly possible.  It needs a significant amount of time left undisturbed in order to attach to something.  I've had a blasto polyp reattach.  However, generally they get blown around, never attach, and end up under a rock or stung by a competitor.

Polyp bailout is usually a sign of problems; however, it could be that the blast was just too strong.  As you have discovered, you must be fairly gentle with corals; but you can hit bare rock with a harder blast.

6 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Any tricks to clean the corals from the dinos?

20210704_121903.jpg

20210704_121826.jpg

Lightly suck the dino off.

Blowing the dino off will spread them

Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Lightly suck the dino off.

Blowing the dino off will spread them

I'll try again but it's well attached to the corals and rocks.

Kindanewtothis

Just got some zoas to try in the 10g. There are parasites on it. I bought dip. There is also a fireworm on it. It is good or bad?

Edit: red about fireworm and removed it carefully.

20210704_150226.jpg

20210704_150214.jpg

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)