Jump to content

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...


Kindanewtothis

Recommended Posts

All of my GHA is on glass walls.  Back wall of my tank is the wookie!

 

I can grab pinchfuls off walls, but the razor blade + siphon is best method I've found to remove GHA.  I need a filter sock to get the water back in my tank without the Algae.   

 

Tried a Tropical turbo snail last week, and couldn't get him to suck the wall.  Placed it on the sandbed and it died by the next day for some reason.  2 days later, removed him and YIKES .... he stank.  Is there some kindof acclimation one needs to do for snails?

 

Gonna try another snail this week hoping for some better luck.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Is there some kindof acclimation one needs to do for snails?

I typically just temperature acclimate then place them on a rock.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

 

Hopefully the specific gravity is close, as I feel that osmotic shock can be a legitimate concern.  Another issue that some people have is dinos.  The toxicity of dinos can kill snails that eat them.

 

For new snails, sometimes shipping is just to much stress, and losses can happen.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I typically just temperature acclimate then place them on a rock.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

 

Actually was first time I didn't do that.  I agreed to take Tropical snail and bumblebee snail in same bag. When I got home and saw the two on top of one another, I freaked out cuz I didn't want bumblebee to eat my Algae grazer and just put em both right into tank.  


Bumblebee snail is still around, Tropical Turbo - is out of here.  I wish I knew how to get the snail out, as the shell would be great home for of of my Red scarlett hermits. 

Link to comment
Critteraholic

@Jakesaw If the dead snail is 2 days+ you can generally pick them up and shake them out of the shell. Outside of the tank.  If it won't shake out, get something pointy (steak knife, toothpick, depending on size) and stab the carcass and pull gently but steadily and it should come out. 

 

Bad news... if you took it out of the tank and let it dry out, you'll have to soak it to rehydrate it. You can also put it in a pan of water and bring the water up to a boil for 10 minutes. That will kill any nasties that are growing and help loosen things up.

 

Annnnnd... If the the snail is small enough for the size of the tank, you can also leave it in the tank for your clean up crew to eat.

 

Hermit crabs have also been known to pull dead crabs and snails out of shells that they want.

 

Have fun! 😆

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

@Jakesaw If the dead snail is 2 days+ you can generally pick them up and shake them out of the shell. Outside of the tank.  If it won't shake out, get something pointy (steak knife, toothpick, depending on size) and stab the carcass and pull gently but steadily and it should come out. 

 

Have fun! 😆

" Have fun "... Thanks!!!!

 

It's in a bag in garage ( winter keeping the smell out )

 

I pulled the shell from tank b/c it smelled awful.  The foot had hardened and didn't know what to do, so put it in a bag and tossed in garage waste basket.  But I did want the shell.  If my tank was bigger than 10 gal I would have left the shell in for Crabs to deal with, but didn't want to pollute water.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
DevilDuck

Put the dead snail in some boiling water, the flesh should become firm and you should be able to pull it out the whole snail with a fork. That's what I do when I cook escargo.

Toss it into your sump and let the CUC clean up the rest.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis

I have dosed Reef fusion 1 and 2 for two days now. I tested KH twice (18 hours after dosing the first time and 1 hour after dosing the second time) and dKH is still roughly 7.5.

 

Is this normal ? Should I dose more than what they say? How can they know what a particular tank needs?

Link to comment
Quote

Dose aquarium every 1-2 days. Shake well before using. Add 1 mL of Reef Fusion 1™ per 25 L (6.5 US gallons) of water. (For reference purposes, the cap holds 5 mL.) Add this to a high current area of the tank. Wait a few minutes, then add Reef Fusion 2™ in the same manner, 1 mL per 25 L (6.5 US gallons), after shaking well. It is preferred that the two products be added to separate locations in the tank. This dose contributes 4 mg/L of calcium, and 0.176 meq/L of alkalinity. Never mix Reef Fusion 1™ with Reef Fusion 2™ directly.

So you'll have to do a little math to figure out how much to dose.

  • It says that 1ml adds 0.176 meq/L of alkalinity to 6.5 gallons of water.  So you'll need 7ml to do the same for 45.5 gallons of water.
  • Note:  1 meq/L = 2.8 dKH = 50 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents.  So 0.176 meq/L = 0.4928 dKH.
  • Therefore, roughly 7ml (of Reef Fusion 2) should raise alkalinity about 0.5 dKH in your 50 gallon tank.  Likewise, 7ml (of Reef Fusion 1) should raise calcium 4 ppm in your 50 gallon tank.

 

On their site, under Directions, there is a dosage calculator that you can use that might also help.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
13 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Is it moving? if it retracts and then come out, it could be a worm.

False alarm, it was indeed my cleaner shrimp... moult...

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
On 1/8/2022 at 2:34 AM, seabass said:

So you'll have to do a little math to figure out how much to dose.

  • It says that 1ml adds 0.176 meq/L of alkalinity to 6.5 gallons of water.  So you'll need 7ml to do the same for 45.5 gallons of water.
  • Note:  1 meq/L = 2.8 dKH = 50 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents.  So 0.176 meq/L = 0.4928 dKH.
  • Therefore, roughly 7ml (of Reef Fusion 2) should raise alkalinity about 0.5 dKH in your 50 gallon tank.  Likewise, 7ml (of Reef Fusion 1) should raise calcium 4 ppm in your 50 gallon tank.

 

On their site, under Directions, there is a dosage calculator that you can use that might also help.

It's going up, dkh is now 8.

 

Nitrate 14.5

Phosphate is high... 0.30

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's going up, dkh is now 8.

 

Nitrate 14.5

Phosphate is high... 0.30

So without water change due to the dinos historic (insert dinosaur joke here) and without using a phosphate remover pad in the canister because no one likes it for some reason, what do I do about the phosphate ? 

Link to comment

If you see something that looks like that and is in fact alive and grabbing around at the rocks, it's a spaghetti worm. Harmless scavengers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
38 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you see something that looks like that and is in fact alive and grabbing around at the rocks, it's a spaghetti worm. Harmless scavengers. 

I think I have some of those but this time it was a false alarm.

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

without using a phosphate remover pad in the canister because no one likes it for some reason, what do I do about the phosphate ?

I don't know that we are necessarily opposed to all phosphate removers.  The problem is the large swings (quick reduction) and potential of bottoming out this critical nutrient.  The biggest issue with your pads is the lack of precise control.  IDK, maybe you can cut the pads into smaller pieces so that you can slow down the phosphate reduction so that isn't so sudden.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't know that we are necessarily opposed to all phosphate removers.  The problem is the large swings (quick reduction) and potential of bottoming out this critical nutrient.  The biggest issue with your pads is the lack of precise control.  IDK, maybe you can cut the pads into smaller pieces so that you can slow down the phosphate reduction so that isn't so sudden.

Ok thanks for the advice. The pad would reduced phosphate from 0.30 to 0.20 in a bit more than a day from previous experiences. I still have the one from last time, I think I'll use it a few hours at the time.

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis

Phosphate is down to 0.23. No idea if it's the hanna checker or what but it was 0.30 yesterday. 

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
On 1/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

It's going up, dkh is now 8.

dKH is now 8.5

 

 

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sell Mortimer, Sell!

See the source image

Haha.

 

But that left the question of once I reach 9, how to know how to dose just to maintain this level.

 

Also, wtf if in my 10g? Are these all flatworms? There seems to be 2 types.

20220112_151813.jpg

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Also, wtf if in my 10g? Are these all flatworms? There seems to be 2 types.

There are more pods than flatworms from what I can see.

 

8 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

once I reach 9, how to know how to dose just to maintain this level.

As I suggested earlier, measure the drop in alkalinity over a set amount of time (without dosing).

 

For example, tomorrow the dKH is 9.0.  Now wait 7 days without dosing and retest.  The drop in alkalinity is your tank's weekly consumption.  To compute your tank's daily consumption, divide that result drop by 7.

 

You can decide how often you wish to dose alkalinity.  If the drop (over the course of a week) was only 0.5 dKH, then weekly dosing is fine.  However, if the daily drop was high (like 0.5 dKH), then I'd dose daily.

 

Every other day might even work out well for you.  Some people dose calcium one day, and alkalinity the next day (and so on).

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

There are more pods than flatworms from what I can see.

I never saw pods becoming this big. Could they be amphipods ?

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...