Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help, mantis shrimp sighted

M. Tournesol

• 5 weeks later...

Project 9to5 is on the rails. I will go buy the tank (30cm/12inch cube) tomorrow, start it with live rock and 1~2 weeks later try to catch the mantis for the umpteenth time 🙄.

Question for @Snow_Phoenix (or other mantis expert 😉) :

I want to build a burrow out of PVC. What diameter do you recommend? 33mm, 40mm, ... ?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Project 9to5 is on the rails. I will go buy the tank (30cm/12inch cube) tomorrow, start it with live rock and 1~2 weeks later try to catch the mantis for the umpteenth time 🙄.

I want to build a burrow out of PVC. What diameter do you recommend? 33mm, 40mm, ... ?

Drill the live rock, i used 16mm bit. If anything like mine which it looks like it will excavate from there. If you do add PVC dont add too long a section without cutting into it to allow water exchange

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

Depends on the size of the mantis. You need a pipe which they can turn around comfortably in (they're quite flexible in terms of movement and can make quick U-turns sometimes). I'd personally pick the 40mm at *least, even though your mantis is small. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

you have a mantis in the salty puddle still? thats rad 

Yes, it came with the live rock. I am buying another tank for him to keep it away from my fish 😬. It has been a model citizen for the time being. 0 fish death (if we don't count the carpet surfing goby after the disappearance of the pistol shrimp) and  0 snail death. Only a pistol shrimp disappearance and a dismemberment of feather duster.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Today, I was on a mission. Find if the mantis shrimp decided to change its burrow. If not, It capture for a transfer to the new 9to5 cubicle would be easier.
Good news, it didn't move home.

1352318075_Capturedcran2021-12-1717_04_27.thumb.png.aa33f72b443c12676618dd63a114acd4.png1377027983_Capturedcran2021-12-1717_04_10.png.4c1b56b77f5f748098291f67bc62c045.png

398084835_Capturedcran2021-12-1717_02_48.thumb.png.ab0967201541c29d3ed2a23b9b078ac0.png

I will try to transfer the mantis in 2~3weeks.
My plan is to cut the tank into two with a plastique cover and remove the rock on the side where its burrow is.

• Like 1