Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help, mantis shrimp sighted

M. Tournesol

I dunno, the eyes on the little ones are kinda cute. I'd pick "cool" or "neat" as descriptors over "cute", though. That iridescence is fun. 

Noahlikesfish

I think you should make a mantis shrimp whale fall tank with a whole fish inside it then put gross inverts like bobbits crabs and mantis and then catch a hagfish 

Do mantis shrimp turn up at whale falls? I thought those were a much deeper affair than mantis shrimp live at. 

A fish skeleton could make a neat addition to a tank, but you'd need a really clean skeleton to avoid horribly polluting the tank. An entire dead fish of any decent size would pollute the tank beyond what anything can survive in.

M. Tournesol
On 5/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, Tired said:

Do mantis shrimp turn up at whale falls?

🤷‍♂️ @Noahlikesfish seems to be the expert.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, Tired said:

A fish skeleton could make a neat addition to a tank, but you'd need a really clean skeleton to avoid horribly polluting the tank. An entire dead fish of any decent size would pollute the tank beyond what anything can survive in.

True, but without a little rot it's not really a whale fall 😉.

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • 4 weeks later...
M. Tournesol

Today, I heard the mantis shrimp for the first time after a period of silence of 2-3 weeks.

I don't like its news sound. Before, it was small "tic-tic". Now it's a "TIC-TIC". 

I think she has molted and may have become a threat to my snails 😬.
Tomorrow, I will remove the rock in which I think her home is. I hope to catch it 🤞.

wish me Luck 🍀

• Like 1
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

Today, I heard the mantis shrimp for the first time after a period of silence of 2-3 weeks.

I don't like its news sound. Before, it was small "tic-tic". Now it's a "TIC-TIC". 

I think she has molted and may have become a threat to my snails 😬.
Tomorrow, I will remove the rock in which I think her home is. I hope to catch it 🤞.

wish me Luck 🍀

you got this, good luck!

• Thanks 1
M. Tournesol

The mantis seems to now live in a new rock.

1056941356_Capturedcran2021-06-1113_47_40.thumb.png.67e1862d4daefdc69f8a70bb9549849a.png

I will try the "at night removal". This time it will work🤞.

It's been 3 days since the last time that I did see my yellow watchman goby. I hope the mantis didn't kill it.

• Like 1

If it's in the rock and not in a tunnel under it (which I think is the more common one), I'd still strongly recommending just pulling out the rock and putting it into a bucket (dry), letting it sit for a couple minutes, adding an inch of tank water, and then swishing a bit and removing the rock - maybe repeat a few times if necessary.

They will try to hide in their secure tunnel when it's available, but if it seems like the rock isn't going to be submerged all the time, they'll very often just run off of it when they get the chance, then you have it in a bucket.  You want to wear gloves (not just latex/nitrile thin ones) and be careful with the spots you grab, but their instinct is going to be to hide first in most cases if you just grab the rock and move it.

Personally I doubt the effectiveness of night removal, the ones I had were a little active during the day, the most active when the lights started dimming into twilight, and then they were never out of their tunnels during the night.

• Like 2
M. Tournesol

It 00:00 in France. I removed all, my rocks, destroy my "scape" (no the best but style mine 😭) . I did find my watchman goby alive 🥰, and confirm my randall's shrimp death (did not see any shrimp under the rocks)?

Put out of the water my two Monetaria annulus 😰 and my two fishes who were sleeping in rocks ( sorry to have disturbed your sleeping time 😢). Put them back in the tank and did not find the mantis 🤬.

I have the biggest rock still out in hope that the mantis sleep inside as the over rocks do no seem to have big enough tunnel.

IMG_3478.thumb.png.06f63dc4232618f1d7195cbbbf5d43c1.png

On 6/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, DaJMasta said:

If it's in the rock and not in a tunnel under it (which I think is the more common one), I'd still strongly recommending just pulling out the rock and putting it into a bucket (dry), letting it sit for a couple minutes, adding an inch of tank water, and then swishing a bit and removing the rock - maybe repeat a few times if necessary.

I will try it tomorrow(today 🙃) morning on the big rock🤞.

If no mantis is found (and thus, is still in the aquarium), would a Alpheus bellulus win again a stomatopod?

• Like 1

The mantis will probably win against any pistol you can get, and I'd worry that any pistol with enough oomph to kill a mantis might attack other things.

No luck with bottle traps? 

• Sad 1

Oh, you can absolutely catch that in a bottle trap! Mostly the traps fail if the mantis is too big. 

Has it been killing snails? If so, remove all your live snails to the bucket with the big rock in it, so it won't have those to eat and will be more temped by the bait. 

Also, I would put the bottle trap in for only a few hours at a time, preferably only when you can watch it. You don't want a fish getting stuck in there with the mantis. Be sure to poke ventilation holes in the trap, so anything in it can breathe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...