Pod Your Reef

WILL MY FISH WORK TOGETHER??

j-dubs

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would not put a dotty with a purple fire fish goby, the only damsel I would add is if you can get a springer damsel. Midas blennies sometimes pick on flasher wrasses since they are both planktivors. sometimes they target fire fish gobies too.

Finding the right fish to put together can be challenging. Some of your fish are peaceful and others are more aggressive on that list.

My thought was that due to the size of the tank (75g) some of the aggression would be smoothed out - as long as OP doesn't go overboard stocking.  The firefish definitely stands out a bit - you may not see it much with this list, but it would help to offer a ton of hiding spots.  Obviously there's some risk there - but there is with any fish combination.

OP - my list was more focused on care level, as pointed out there are some possible aggression issues with your stock list, but having a larger tank, not stocking too many fish, lots of hiding spots, and being sure to add the less aggressive fish first will go a long way to helping you minimize (not remove) issues with aggression. 

• Like 1

NICREW ClassicLED G2 Aquarium Light, Dimmable Fish Tank Light with 2-Channel Controller, White and Blue LEDs, High Light Output

this is the light that i found on amazon for 70 dollars witch is all i can afford after all im only 12 lol. can you please take a look at it and tell me if its good or bad

So what's your budget for this thing?   A 75 gallon reef tank in all honesty will cost a few grand by the time all is said and done.  Your fish list without the angelfish is probably $350.  And probably another $350 for corals, excluding the anemone.   Rock and sand will be at least $200 even with dry rock. 

I just got a similar light to that NICREW for my refugium, but that's only 12" deep.    If your tank dimensions are 48x18x21 then one of those lights alone probably isn't enough for coral.   Maybe it would be in a 12" deep tank but not at 21".  Even two of these side by side wouldn't really be enough.  You'll need a 6-8 bulb T5-HO, 300w+ of metal halide, or an LED light with optics to keep LPS coral.  

If you just go with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) then you'll be fine with that light.  

• Like 1

ok so my thoughts were that i would add everything over time and that i could work than save then stock

and i know that the light is very important and im going to keep saving but i just wanted to know if i could get away with a light that 

is good for that tank and is somewhat cheep.

the dimensions of the tank are 47 by 16 1/2 by 20

are there any light that i can save for over a few months. i cant evan get this tank cycling because the baby's that i breed are occupying that tank

3 hours ago, j-dubs said:

ok so my thoughts were that i would add everything over time and that i could work than save then stock

and i know that the light is very important and im going to keep saving but i just wanted to know if i could get away with a light that 

are there any light that i can save for over a few months. i cant evan get this tank cycling because the baby's that i breed are occupying that tank

This hobby is really expensive and it is a hobby that you will need to sink money into regularly, especially with doing corals.

Lighting is one of the most important aspects and alone it costs a lot.

The cheapest lighting you can do that is known to work are black box fixtures like Mars Aqua or Viparspectra and for a 75g you will need 2 - 3 of them depending on the size of the fixture.

Other costs to consider besides the tank, sand, rock

Are:

Salt - pretty regular expense since you need it for water changes

Rodi water

Test kits- with corals you are looking at alk, mag, ca, nitrate, and phos(this can be a monthly expense)

Dosers - eventually with corals there will be a need to dose ca and alk to keep them stable

Ato - on such a large system you will need one to maintain salinity levels due to evaporation

Refractometer

Heaters

Filter floss, carbon

These are the common expenses but there are others.

Have you considered maybe doing a nano reef or just fish only?

• Like 2

Yeah, if you're 12 and don't have a steady source of income, you probably want a smaller tank. It's cheaper to set up, and cheaper to maintain. You don't want to be unable to do water changes because you don't have any salt or water left and can't buy more. Saltwater's not like freshwater that way- can't just use tap water in a water change.

You can always start with a smaller tank, then upgrade when you can get a job or otherwise increase your available cash. Maybe go 20 or 30 gallons instead. 

• Like 2

I bought my first aquarium when I was in 3rd grade.  It was a 29 gallon FW community tank.  I've had a tank almost continuously since then and I'm in my 30's lol.   Got into Saltwater around 2008.  

So I totally understand the desire to get this thing up and have a cool tank - but if I were you I would discuss with your parents how to proceed.  Lay out a basic plan (maybe slightly less ambitious than you've outlined so far!), and keep it manageable. A smaller tank will allow you to get up and running much quicker - but just remember you need your parent's support here.  You need them to 1) provide you with a clear budget 2) make sure they understand that you will need to do maintenance and 3) they need to be aware of the aquarium requirements when you go on vacation and stuff.  Their support will make you more successful.  Note that I'm not saying you don't already have their support - I'm just covering the bases.

Why don't you scale this down to something like a 10 gallon?  Given you have experience in fairly advanced animal husbandry I think this would be a great start and you can get a great system for substantially less dinero ($$).  You probably have a 10 gallon lying around - or you could spend a little more and get a used all-in-one.   For a 10 gallon you can get a nice LED light that will keep any LPS or soft coral for less than $70.  NICREW has a 30 watt pendant that would work nice. 

Spend some time going through the build threads of similar sized tanks and you can piece together a plan for equipment purchases and example stocking lists.  

Good luck. 

• Like 2

I am 12 and have my first saltwater tank I got it 1 year ago as a birth day present. Every day since then I have not stopped spending money and researching. My tank is a aqua one mini reef 90. I swapped out the light for a ai prime and that helped the corals a lot and I also got a chiller. You and your parents are going to have to be prepared to spend thousand of dollars even on a 20 gallon tank.

• Like 2

i already have the 70g tank but all the money is mine i have a job and make about 70 dollars a week and i do have a couple 10 gallons laying around but i dont know if it would be worth it be that ive already spent most of my money on this tank but i definetly understand the downsize but.. i dont know i geuss i could put freshwater in it then give it a goood rinse when im ready idk what do you think

is it even possible to do that 

the tank stages saltwater/dry/now

is it possible to rinse for freshwater then rinse a put salt back in it or would that mess up the sump

Yes, you can rinse a tank out and use it for whichever water it wasn't before. Easy enough. 

Start with a small tank. Upgrading is easy- just put all the stuff from the smaller tank into the bigger tank. 

Yep. Just plain water and anything that won't scratch the sides. Make sure nothing you use has had soap anywhere near it, and wipe it out afterward. If you're setting a tank up for a reef, consider quickly wiping the inside down with RODI water on a paper towel afterward. I'm not sure if regular paper towels would be safe to leave in a reef tank, but they're definitely safe to clean things with. Then let it dry. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, j-dubs said:

i already have the 70g tank but all the money is mine i have a job and make about 70 dollars a week and i do have a couple 10 gallons laying around but i dont know if it would be worth it be that ive already spent most of my money on this tank but i definetly understand the downsize but.. i dont know i geuss i could put freshwater in it then give it a goood rinse when im ready idk what do you think

Vinegar is also a safe cleaner if there is some stubborn build up.  Just rinse well when you're done.  As with any used tank, inspect the silicone for adhesion and do a leak test on your driveway before setting it up! 

$70/week is some pretty sweet coin for being 12!  What do you do for work?  I ask because I have a daughter that's almost 11 and I'm trying to think of some ideas for her to earn money in the next few years.

So definitely do what you want - but as you'll learn with other hobbies, it's usually better to start smaller and do it right than go really big for the first attempt.  Years ago the guidance was to get the largest tank you could afford.  But today our knowledge base is much better and the tech is also better so you can be just as successful with a 10g tank as with a 100g tank.

There are some amazing 8-20 gallon tanks on the forum, that's for sure! 

• Like 1

yeah thats what i was thinking that i would either use my 10g or buy a cheap 20g

If you can find like a neighborhood website or something like that. my job is mostly dog walking and just cleaning up there house and garage and sometimes

yard work and i get paid 11$ an hour  1hour monday 1hour thursday and 4hours saturday so i make 66dollars a week

basically if you can find a person with a garden or dogs or evan a big yard just something you'd look at and say do you think they want help with that then you can tell them your daughter wants a job  and if they say yes let them decide the pay you can throw out suggestions but never make them feel like you are telling them things that you want.

you also may want to meet them a couple times more and once you feel like there safe people than tell them the hours you can and cant do and try and do a longer day a maybe couple extra hours but nothing your not comfortable with where i live we have a homedale site witch is the nice piece of brantford so wherever you live if you can find a site similar and post an add saying that your daughter wants an hourly paying job (list if thing she will do) no matter what season the chances are if your daughter does a good job theyll probably what her back again for the summer or the winter or fall but if you can find a job a be good at it chances are youll have she'll have that job for a while.

• Thanks 1
On 1/16/2021 at 6:43 AM, j-dubs said:

If you need a budget light then I would suggest black box leds. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Control-Dimmable-Aquarium-Spectrum/dp/B07SMY9KWF/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=reef+led&qid=1610909014&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE1VzJBNERMU0RUUzUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5Njk1NTczVUlQV1dGUEhKSEEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDY1NTMwMDNTTjZHME5LNUUyQkkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can just hold off adding any corals until you get your light. Basically start out with a fish only with live rock until you can afford the light. Fish don’t need any type of special lighting.

Dont bother with some cheap stuff no one really knows of. $70 on a light that can’t work to grow coral well is $70 wasted.

You may want to consider downgrading to something less expensive like 20g range.