Coral Vue Hydros

WILL MY FISH WORK TOGETHER??

j-dubs

WILL THESES FISH WORK TOGETHER IN A 75 GALLON

FISH, Flame angelfish, clownfish, True Percula Clownfish, Engineer Goby, diamond back goby, purple coral goby, multi color angelfish, snowflake eel 

I am starting my first saltwater tank i a month or so and theses are the fish that id like but wanna know if they will work in a 75 gallon or if they will kill each other 

THE LIST OF CORALS I'D LIKE

CORALS, bubble tip anemones, Open brain coral, trumpet coral, bubble coral, Star polyps, Zoanthids for sure, torch coral, palythoas, kenya tree 

You should pick one type of clownfish, and probably stick to one type of angelfish. Engineer gobies get large and dig a lot, you'll want to look into those and make sure you like the end result. Angelfish are only somewhat reef-safe at best. 

ok thank you very much what about the eelwill they eat my clownfish or any other ones.

also you dont have to but are there fish tht you suggest that are easy to keepbut also look nice and would go good in a 75 gallon tank

28 minutes ago, j-dubs said:

ok thank you very much what about the eelwill they eat my clownfish or any other ones.

also you dont have to but are there fish tht you suggest that are easy to keepbut also look nice and would go good in a 75 gallon tank

In a 75g, I would do one angelfish, no engineer goby, do not add a diamond goby until the sand bed is established... especially if you use live rock... even when t hey eat food they can starve without living organisms in the sand to scavenge. 

Snowflakes need an escape proof tank and they eat inverts in the wild which means eating your clean up crew. So you will need to be able to control algae without small snails and hermits or keep adding new ones. They can knock over rocks and corals so make sure everything is secure. Some will eat small fish. If you are okay with all this, 75g is big enough for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ok then i wont do an eel than and only one angle speices and only one clown speices aswell if you can think pf any other nice but easy speices that would be great. thank you soo much for your help so far

Define "easy". Tolerant of shifting water conditions? Simple to feed? Lacking in any special requirements? 

Cardinalfish are fairly basic to keep. 

Diamond gobies, on the other hand, are not. They require an established sandbed to eat from, even if you get one that eats prepared foods, and they may never eat prepared foods. They also eat a lot of the microfauna in your sandbed. They have some special requirements, in other words. 

• Like 1

Most commonly kept reef fish will die about as easily as each other if water parameters are awry. Angelfish aren't always reef-safe, they sometimes pick at corals and it varies by individual. 

If by purple coral goby, you mean a purple firefish, be sure it's one of the first fish you add. Timid fish like firefish should be added first, and aggressive fish should be added last. 

Also, get a lid. All fish (except seahorses) can jump, so you need a tight-fitting lid with no gaps. A fine mesh is good in order to not block too much light or oxygen exchange. 

3 hours ago, j-dubs said:

ok then i wont do an eel than and only one angle speices and only one clown speices aswell if you can think pf any other nice but easy speices that would be great. thank you soo much for your help so far

I would add a wrasse. Something like a yellow coris wrasse or melenarus would be easy and be okay in that size. They also eat pests and are not a sensitive wrasse. They add a lot of movement.

• Like 1

How long you been at this?  How long has the tank been set up? 

IMO if this is your first tank then here are my thoughts - of course with the intention that your tank be successful and beautiful

- While Angelfish are beautiful they're only reef-safe "with caution" meaning they have a tendency to eat corals. They also need a tank with a lot of mature rock that has a variety of algae on them because they're grazers.   If you decide you still want to do one then my recommendation is not a flame.  Get a captive bred coral beauty if you can - get every fish captive bred if you can!!  The reason is that angels are very hardy and they harbor all sorts of parasites in the wild and once you stress it out the parasites infest the host more severely. A captive bred specimen will be eating prepared foods and will be much less likely to be infested with parasites.

- Get some Damsels.  IMO damsels get a bad rap but they're simple to keep, and there are enough variety that you can find some that are less aggressive.  I like yellow tails, and talbots. 

- Get a pair of clowns, again captive bred

- Purple firefish/coral goby, IME, don't do particularly well with clowns and angelfish.  But in a 75 they probably will be fine. 

- I second what others have said about the engineer goby and diamond goby and snowflake eel.  I'm not even sure a 75g is enough substrate for one. 

- Cardinalfish would be a great add!  Especially captive bred.

- There are various reef safe wrasses that would do great as well.  Almost any fairy or flasher wrasse would work.  Just don't get a leopard or cleaner wrasse.  You can try some of the larger wrasses in the Halichoeres genus (like the yellow coris), but same as angelfish they are only sort of considered reef safe because they can munch on small snails and crustaceans. 

- Hawkfish are also really cool.  Maybe a bit harder to find and they're considered quite aggressive but if you're not set on having snails and shrimp and crabs these are pretty nice fish and not particularly hard to care for.  

- A Midas blenny or a dottyback would also be cool.

- I think your coral selection is fine - though I would be wary of the anemone.  If you don't know what you're doing you could end up with a disaster there.  You'll need a pretty beefy light for a 75g.   Good luck!!

• Like 3

my tank isn't running yet. i have been in freshwater for a year or so and have breed axolotls and other fish but this is my fist saltwater so ill stay away from an anemone for now than. thank you very much

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, j-dubs said:

my tank isn't running yet. i have been in freshwater for a year or so and have breed axolotls and other fish but this is my fist saltwater so ill stay away from an anemone for now than. thank you very much

One of the important things for salt is to go slow and stock your tank slowly as the bacteria and biological mechanisms need to adjust. Bacteria/microorganisms are the heart of a successful reef aquarium. Start with the most peaceful fish first and ofc be sure to cycle the tank first. 

Another thing to be aware of in salt is these fish are wild and from the ocean and parasites are common. Some like velvet can wipe out an entire tank of fish in 48 hours. It is a good idea to read up on these diseases and know how to recognize them and react quickly should a fish fall ill. Many people quarantine their fish.

• Like 3

i have heard basically one fish at a time and the least aggressive first. Do you think it would be better to invest in a quarantine tank. and what size tank for quarantine as well as will i have to cycle it to? how long do fish need to quarantine for.

1 hour ago, j-dubs said:

i have heard basically one fish at a time and the least aggressive first. Do you think it would be better to invest in a quarantine tank. and what size tank for quarantine as well as will i have to cycle it to? how long do fish need to quarantine for.

Yes, a quarantine tank can save you a lot of headaches and money.

If you get a parasite, you then need to move all fish into a hospital tank for treatment and your main tank has to go fishless anywhere from 4-9weeks.

Most quarantine a fish for 4 weeks

• Like 2
19 hours ago, j-dubs said:

other nice but easy speices that would be great.

longnose hawkfish is a cool fish. It chills on the rock most of the time. Mine was pretty peaceful, but i've heard that hawkfish in general can be a little aggressive. But in a 75g with a few other fish I think it would be okay, 

Longnose hawkfish are predatory, like other hawkfish. It's not so much that they're aggressive, it's that they eat things. They'll eat any shrimp you put with them, and may try to eat small fish. Great fish, but they have big mouths.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, j-dubs said:

are they picky. will they kill my cleen up crew?

Mine ate pellets and frozen mysis. I had never tried flakes with them. They're so fast at eating it's crazy. They dart around all over the food. 

They didn't touch my clean up crew (snails and crabs). But like Tired said, they could eat shrimp and small fish.

They probably won't eat snails, hermits, or other things with heavy shells, but anything else that fits in their mouth will be made to fit in their mouth. A pixie hawkfish is a smaller species, so can eat fewer things, but should still not be kept with shrimp. They should greedily eat anything bite-sized that you put near them. 

A watchman goby and a pistol shrimp would be great. Pistol shrimp should be safe from hawkfish, as they stay under the rocks, and they pair up with the goby in a really interesting symbiotic relationship. I think most tanks should have a goby/shrimp duo. Diamond gobies don't pair with pistol shrimp, you need something like a yellow watchman, or anything with "shrimpgoby" in one of its common names. Again, easy to feed, though you have to make sure some food goes down near the burrow for them both.

• FISH, Flame angelfish, clown fish, purple coral goby, multi color angelfish, CARDINAL fish, flasher wrasse, damsels, Dottybacks, Midas blenny, watchmen goby and pistol shrimp, longnose hawkfish or pixie hawk 

• CLEEN_UP_CREW, 15 hermit crabs, 3-5 brittle stars, 15-25 snails 

• CORALS, bubble tip anemones, Open brain coral, trumpet coral, bubble coral, Star polyps, Zoanthids for sure, torch coral, palythoas, kenya tree 

so i think that this is what ill do in my 75 gallon. does this look good to you guys?? 

40 minutes ago, j-dubs said:
  • FISH, Flame angelfish, clown fish, purple coral goby, multi color angelfish, CARDINAL fish, flasher wrasse, damsels, Dottybacks, Midas blenny, watchmen goby and pistol shrimp, longnose hawkfish or pixie hawk 

• CLEEN_UP_CREW, 15 hermit crabs, 3-5 brittle stars, 15-25 snails 

• CORALS, bubble tip anemones, Open brain coral, trumpet coral, bubble coral, Star polyps, Zoanthids for sure, torch coral, palythoas, kenya tree 

so i think that this is what ill do in my 75 gallon. does this look good to you guys?? 

I would not put a dotty with a purple fire fish goby, the only damsel I would add is if you can get a springer damsel. Midas blennies sometimes pick on flasher wrasses since they are both planktivors. sometimes they target fire fish gobies too.

Finding the right fish to put together can be challenging. Some of your fish are peaceful and others are more aggressive on that list.

• Like 1