Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank all my money

Jungle_vip

Will post some new test results later today. Been fairly steady. 

ph 8.1-8.2

alk -7.9-8.2

cal- 440-480

mag-1350-1450 (prob me mis testing)

nitrate- 0 (think my test kit is bad because I’ve been around 10 but hopefully it’s not 0. New one on way)

Phos- N/A (waiting on kit to arrive) 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:23 AM, debbeach13 said:

Recovery is so slooow compared to how fast things can go wrong. 

I know it’s so difficult to look at. Especially with all the time we put into our systems.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:23 AM, debbeach13 said:

Love the sleeping dog through the tank.

That’s Dax! I didn’t even notice him until after I posted lol. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A lot has happened since my post. Lost my mystic sunset montipora and I have major tissue loss on the green birds nest. The monti plate is trying to grow over the red dragon so I’m going to have to relocate. Which means breaking off at rock and relocating.  A couple types of zoas have receded and shrunk significantly imo. A white sponge has taken over my red acan. The cloves have grown over my blue/red acan. I did neglect the tank since my last post. I’ve only done a 3 water changes. Between b days for the daughters, mom, hockey, the holidays, and then Covid ripping through the house I just never got it done. Excuses excuses but the tank has paid the price. Did some testing this morning to see where where we are at. Time to get back on track. 

Ph- 8.1 one hour before lights turn on

No3- undetectable or zero (forgot I think I picked up a bad test kit. Ordered another)

Po3- .3 

Alk- 8.1

Cal- 470

Mag-1240

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Shit this is an epic little tank! Great job

Thanks!

On 7/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, Sturgi_0225 said:

I love when corals grow into massive colonies like this!! Great tank

Thank you! Been a lot of work lol

• 7 months later...

Fatal mistake. Over two years of hard work flushed down the drain almost over night. On Saturday, when it was 10 degrees here, the basement was extra cold. This just so happens to be where I make my saltwater. Being the purest of an idiot I didn’t have my heater on to match my tank. I take two gallons of saltwater and dump it right on top of my birds nest like a wave crashing on an ocean reef. Except this time I gave it a cold water bath and shocked it. Dropped the tank to 70. Sunday it was fine but I could tell the tank wasn’t happy. Monday I had some tissue loss on the birdsnest but everything else looked fine. Had fingers crossed but it didn’t work out. Since last night it went from minimal to 75 percent tissue loss  the entire colony. The carnage is depressing. 

7E178CD4-70AB-410F-92DF-74AB33979B3A.jpeg

2022F6E4-DFC6-4527-AC44-779EE29B94C1.jpeg

844FE281-E49F-484F-809A-E1C3C00BD200.jpeg

• Sad 5
geekreef_05

Sorry for your loss. It looked amazing in its prime. Hopefully some of it is salvageable..

SPS nanos are so touchy. Goodluck going forward.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping some of it would be fine by the time I got home today. Sadly it’s not. Entire colony is bleached out. Pure white. Going to yank it and do a water change now. @Christopher Marks after sleeping on it I agree with you that I’ll look at this as a reboot. See what makes it over the next couple weeks and go from there. Looks like my zoas and the new nepthea i added may not make it either. Hard to say right now. Everything is shut down and tank is very cloudy. See what happens:/

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Your setup looks great, and remember, it's all about enjoying the journey. Everyone's got their own take on things, but as long as your tank makes you happy, that's what counts. I can imagine that creating such a beautiful reef must have required quite an investment, but it's clear that you're passionate about it. Speaking of money, even though I'm not much into tanks myself, I've recently made some pricey purchases in my own hobbies, and been exploring ways to boost my income. Interestingly, I've discovered that playing bingo games online can be a fun and potentially profitable way to spend my free time. It's always a plus to find new avenues for earning extra cash, right? 

• Like 1