Coral Vue Hydros

First time nano-reefer

bradk

Hello,

First time poster, occasional lurker. I've thinking about a nano-reef for some time now. I used to keep tropical tanks of various sizes, but was always afraid of saltwater, despite people telling me it wasn't as difficult as I was believing it to be.

Fast forward to today, I am the proud owner of a Coralife Biocube 32. My finger's been on the trigger for a while but what pushed me over the edge was Petco is currently offering 15% off in-app purchases for in-store pickup. Unfortunately due to some issues with the app and inventory, it wouldn't let me go for the 32, but mercifully the store offered to pricematch the online price + give me the 15% off so I now have the cube and stand.

immediate term plan is to put the tank in the bathtub and fill it up to check for leaks. then short term plan is to get some live aragonite and live rock in, with potentially clown fish to follow, possibly an anemone and/or coral

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, bradk said:

Hello,

First time poster, occasional lurker. I've thinking about a nano-reef for some time now. I used to keep tropical tanks of various sizes, but was always afraid of saltwater, despite people telling me it wasn't as difficult as I was believing it to be.

Fast forward to today, I am the proud owner of a Coralife Biocube 32. My finger's been on the trigger for a while but what pushed me over the edge was Petco is currently offering 15% off in-app purchases for in-store pickup. Unfortunately due to some issues with the app and inventory, it wouldn't let me go for the 32, but mercifully the store offered to pricematch the online price + give me the 15% off so I now have the cube and stand.

short term plan is to put the tank in the bathtub and fill it up to check for leaks. then short term plan is to get some live aragonite and live rock in, with potentially clown fish to follow, possibly an anemone and/or coral

:welcome:

• Like 1
TerraIncognita

If I were you first thing I’d do right now.

put the tank where you want it in your house completely empty.

and then spend all your time researching and planning the following. If you don’t do it right now. As excited as you are, you will be so mad later. Especially if you try to back track.

1. - Rock Scape. Really decide if this is important to you, and then decide on a basic design. Just google “aquascape designs” for some inspiration.

find one you like, and then look up and make sure you have all the tools and glue/apoxy to build it. You can get most all of this at a LOcal Fish store and hardware store.

you can buy rock online super cheap, Or go get it for about $5.00 a lb in a local fish store.

once that’s done, then build it, place it, fill it with sand and water and just get a simple cycle starter for $8.00 from local fish store. After 1-2 days you can add your first fish if you’ve used a good cycle starter.

then get your first fish! I’d suggest clowns or similar hardy fish.

once you have something inside and your initial excitement has been satiated then I’d really spend time and research looking at what type of fish and coral you want, and the extent of care needed with them.

easiest ones to start with in corals are soft coral and Large Polyps (or LPS)

but really make sure you have decided on what you want. UNDOING something once you’ve done it in this hobby is the WORST IDEA EVER. Hahaha

the worst part of this hobby is the learning curve is so steep.

The more time you just study now, instead of later when everything is going wrong. The happier you’ll be.

good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty limited on where I can place it, I rent a townhouse apartment the upper floor is all carpeted except for the bathrooms. I've placed it where I think I'll appreciate it most, the biggest issue was determining if I should make it fit into the corner (allowing room for the hood to open)  or place it diagonally to the corner, which I think I've decided to do as it gives the most viewing area from where I'll be most of the time.  

Right now the tank is filled in my tub to check for leaks and I'm about to head out to my LFS to look into pre-mixed seawater as it's not something I want to attempt right away. Based on reviews, it looks like nutri seawater is a good option, but it's also a bit expensive to load up the tank, I was wondering the potential of mixing it. I'd prefer ocean water but it  wondering if it's worth the investment or if i can get by with mixing it with pre-mixed.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Filtered seawater can be great, if you have a good source. In boxed 5 gallon jugs at Petco, it's usually terribly expensive. Many LFS's offer pre-mixed water at a much more competitive price per gallon, and most can even sell you a reusable 5 gallon container for under $15. Priced around $1 or $1.25 a gallon is common here in Phoenix. We actually have one LFS here that has huge tanks of filtered seawater that gets trucked in from LA every few months, but that's unusual to find. I use both pre-mixed and filtered seawater in my pico reef, both have been fine, but I find my corals tend to respond best to pre-mixed water. The pre-mixed I buy for my pico reef uses RedSea brand salt.

Welcome to the community @bradk!

I went to the closest LFS and they sell water but had no jugs so they told me to bring my own. I went on an unsuccessful quest and the store closed too early so I ended up going to another place a bit further away. they sell saltwater for $1/gallon and RO for $.50/gallon. they have 2 huge tanks so not sure if they mix their own or if they buy it, but I ended up buying 2 5 gallon jugs at $15 a piece (including fill up) and they let me borrow the rest so now I'm full. I also added hawaiian black aragonite and she kinda talked me out of buying live rock and pitched me some accelerant bacteria and dr. tim's live nitrifying bacteria. I also bought some epoxy and a few pieces of dry rock shelves I managed to scrape together, so we'll see how that goes. 

she told me to bring water sample in a week for testing and says i should have about 2 weeks for the cycle.

• Like 2

Hopefully this works, assembled the rocks and put them in. Pretty happy with how they turned out. the structure is a little deeper than I might hope but I can still access the sides of the tanks. it's basically a ring with a lot of open areas for the fish to go through

Ec2lonGUYAUn0zG.jpg

• Like 4

Nice! Congrats on the new tank!! Looking forward to following along. I have two Biocubes myself, a 16 and a 32, and I love them... hope you enjoy yours as well!!

TerraIncognita

Looking good! Great solid base, you can always Add more rock later as well if you want too! You can add more rock whenever you want.

But again don’t ever try to undo, undoing disagrees with this hobby.

did you get some live bacteria to start cycling it?

did you get/know about the basic auxillary equipment? Return pump, flow pump, media filtration system, not 100% needed with nano’s but recommended Protein Skimmer, and lights if you plan on corals.

10 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

you can always Add more rock later as well if you want too! You can add more rock whenever you want.

My feeling as well. I like what I have and my main concern is to give the fish and coral what they need, but I am watching a lot of videos where the goal seems to be to hide the mechanics of the tank and I am starting to see the benefits of taller structures. but we'll see. I still may consider some live rock if I can find a piece that seems to fit.

did you get some live bacteria to start cycling it?

yes, LFS sold me a bag of water which I hope contained the bacteria they said it did. hard to tell for sure as my vision isn't that great, but we'll see where I'm at in a week or so.

did you get/know about the basic auxillary equipment? Return pump, flow pump, media filtration system, not 100% needed with nano’s but recommended Protein Skimmer, and lights if you plan on corals.

I'm completely stock at the moment. Right now I'm looking into a heater/thermometer as next purchases. I keep house at 74 year round but when it's 110+ outside, it gets slightly warmer inside and 74 is a bit on the low side anyway. I have a few other items in mind, like the intank media basket, though other than the adjustable aspect, I'm not sure what advantage it's going to give me over the stock right now. I've seen people complain about having issues removing the stock, but it seems to come out pretty easily to me. I guess I need to research what I plan on using for filtration. all i know right now is nobody expects you to use the coralife carbon cartridges and as many seem to advocate for bioballs as they don't.

in regards to the pumps, I guess I need to do more research there too. didn't realize there was a return vs flow, again, just have whatever the stock is. i've seen some mentions of a wave maker but I don't know if that'll benefit a couple of clownfish, so maybe for later on. same for the lights, as i understand it, the stock system will handle soft corals okay and I'm not sure I'm ready for more right now. even soft corals are going to be months away. what I do know is I don't want to lose the hood. I don't like the aesthetics of an overhead lamp and plus I have cats (one of whom has already found a home on top of the tank).

TerraIncognita

With a stock Biocube, you do end up with a lot of good things you can use to keep some more common/basic/easy to take care of fish.

Just because they're common and easy to take care of also doesn't make them boring or not unique fish, some of the most beautiful saltwater fish are the easiest to take care of.

Go to some simple online fish store website, and look at all the photos, chose some you like, then just google "FISHNAME CARE"

All saltwater fish need to be kept around 80-82F Water, So you will 100% absolutely need a heater. A moderate flow return pump comes stock, but if you want to make sure you'll never have a problem look at upgrading to a better or higher Gallon Per Hour Return pump. Flow pumps are not necessarily needed in a biocube.

It is a Nano tank (on the larger side but still a nano tank), so it's quite small, depending on your return pump, it might be enough, some hobbyist just upgrade their return pump, and never bother to buy a flow pump (like myself with a 13Gal Nano), because it's so small I'm not trying to make whirlpools in a 13gallon.

some of the things are preference, some are necessity, are some are only necessity when you have certain pets.

Decide on the fish, and basic coral types you like, some corals need super high flow water and are much more difficult to keep. Some like to be in "low flow". You need to set up your tank according to your fish.

If you got a big dog, you'd need a place for him to run around, small dogs not so much, big dogs eat similar but maybe different food to small dogs, you need to make your environment for your pet, BEFORE you get your pets (your fish), it's important, for fish specifically because with too many  things wrong, they die like it's going out of style.

And yes If you have cats' DO NOT. lose the lid lol.

I'd suggest researching in this sequence.

- Cycling a tank (First step to setting it up, getting live bacteria going to help maintain an ecosystem in which you fish can survive)

- How much live rock should i have vs what do i minimally need. (Bioballs help reduce the amount of live rock you need) This is part of cycling and water parameters.

- Water Parameters, understanding what they are and what levels they need to be. You need to understand why and what you do that changes your water parameters, and how you can make sure you don't do something that will spike them into a bad level and kill your fish. even feeding changes parameters that can kill fish.

- Filtration Media & Accessories What's is a MUST HAVE, and what are "nice to have" (These all manage your water parameters)

Must Haves are Carbon, Some kind of sponge, or filter pad, return pump, heater, light.

- Fish types, compatibility, Utilitarian fish vs ornamental, aggressive vs non-aggressive/mild

- Coral Types

- Invertebrae types, Cleaner Crews (you don't need 100 snails, for a bio cube I'd say maybe 9?, and a few hermits), Anemones (do you want one, they can be a nightmare, but great for clowns) Shrimps, Crabs, Clams.

- I also noticed you mainly have black rock at the bottom and no sand, this is fine, but if you want to get a Goby, or other fish or animal dependent on sand, you should look at that now before you start building your tank out more.

All these TINY little points are super important. again, just study study study, you'll never regret that you studied too much.

If you feel overwhelmed already I understand! but don't, it's just a STEEP curve.

A really good web series, you can watch just the first 10 episodes and you'll have a REALLY good understanding is here: This takes out the guess work of "what to research" and they just go over EVERYTHING one by one from start to end.

it's 52 episodes following 52 weeks of this very large reefing company setting up a brand new reef tank and taking you through every motion.

I'd watch the first 10 episodes, then come back here with any other immediate questions, then just continue watching them as you can, by the time you're through episode 30-40 you'll know more than enough to take care of that sweet biocube you've got.

Welcome to NR. Your off to a great start. The suggestion to watch the BRS series is spot on. Going by some sweet tanks on here I think the Bio cube is one of the best plug and play tanks out there. The stocks light will be fine for fish and some corals. You should absolutely check out banashophia tank. Good luck with your tank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Your off to a great start. The suggestion to watch the BRS series is spot on. Going by some sweet tanks on here I think the Bio cube is one of the best plug and play tanks out there. The stocks light will be fine for fish and some corals. You should absolutely check out banashophia tank. Good luck with your tank.

:flower:  thank you, @debbeach13, that was nice 

@Jackal227’s tank is another good example of a Biocube 16 with stock lights... many of use with the LED Biocubes followed his lead on setting them up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

All saltwater fish need to be kept around 80-82F Water, So you will 100% absolutely need a heater. Return Pump and Flow pumps are not needed in a biocube.

I bought a 100W Eheim Jager today along with a temperature probe, it's branded Coralife but I see the same one is whiteboxed and is sold under various names. It's currently reading the water at 79.2 without the heater (which I have yet to install). I'll check it in early morning, but it'll probably be around the same as I live in the desert and the summer is pretty unforgiving. I was thinking about the Cobalt Neo-therm but I want the 100 so if it goes crazy, it's not likely to boil the fish, but everyone appears to be out of stock on it currently.

Decide on the fish, and basic coral types you like, some corals need super high flow water and are much more difficult to keep. Some like to be in "low flow".

- Fish types, compatibility, Utilitarian fish vs ornamental, aggressive vs non-aggressive/mild

- Coral Types

- Invertebrae types, Cleaner Crews (you don't need 100 snails, for a bio cube I'd say maybe 9?, and a few hermits), Anemones (do you want one, they can be a nightmare, but great for clowns) Shrimps, Crabs, Clams.

- I also noticed you mainly have black rock at the bottom and no sand, this is fine, but if you want to get a Goby, or other fish or animal dependent on sand, you should look at that now before you start building your tank out more.

The plan is start out with a clownfish pair. I haven't narrowed down the species yet but ocellaris is probably the favorite. gobies are out, as I don't particularly care for them and I already considered that the substrate would be too much for them. I went with the larger aragonite over finer sand that would potentially be kicked up constantly.

Beyond the clownfish, I've been looking at kupang damselfish but the LFS advised against that. I also inquired about the potential of a blue tang but I was told it'll probably be okay for a year before the fish outgrows the tank. I still may go in that direction because in a year, I may relocate/have the opportunity for a larger tank, or worst case, they'll buy it back for 50% of retail if its healthy. I haven't considered coral much, but with the stock, I can only do soft coral, but it'll be months before I'm considering that. clams would also be nice but from what I've read, the ones that the stock tank will handle will outgrow the tank fast. But an anemone is absolutely on the wish list.

- How much live rock should i have vs what do i minimally need. (Bioballs help reduce the amount of live rock you need) This is part of cycling and water parameters.

so as I mentioned, I do have the sample water/bacteria from the LFS plus dr. tim's one and only. I also picked up a couple of pieces of live rock today. In regards to the bioballs, I picked up some seachem matrix which I was going to use to help colonize the bacteria though the LFS advised against it if I'm going to have corals, I presume for the nitrate, but I'm so far away from that, I figured the matrix can only help for now.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

thank you and thank you both @banasophia for the recommendations, I will definitely check them out.

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56
20 minutes ago, bradk said:

I bought a 100W Eheim Jager today along with a temperature probe, it's branded Coralife but I see the same one is whiteboxed and is sold under various names. It's currently reading the water at 79.2 without the heater (which I have yet to install). I'll check it in early morning, but it'll probably be around the same as I live in the desert and the summer is pretty unforgiving. I was thinking about the Cobalt Neo-therm but I want the 100 so if it goes crazy, it's not likely to boil the fish, but everyone appears to be out of stock on it currently.

The plan is start out with a clownfish pair. I haven't narrowed down the species yet but ocellaris is probably the favorite. gobies are out, as I don't particularly care for them and I already considered that the substrate would be too much for them. I went with the larger aragonite over finer sand that would potentially be kicked up constantly.

Beyond the clownfish, I've been looking at kupang damselfish but the LFS advised against that. I also inquired about the potential of a blue tang but I was told it'll probably be okay for a year before the fish outgrows the tank. I still may go in that direction because in a year, I may relocate/have the opportunity for a larger tank, or worst case, they'll buy it back for 50% of retail if its healthy. I haven't considered coral much, but with the stock, I can only do soft coral, but it'll be months before I'm considering that. clams would also be nice but from what I've read, the ones that the stock tank will handle will outgrow the tank fast. But an anemone is absolutely on the wish list.

so as I mentioned, I do have the sample water/bacteria from the LFS plus dr. tim's one and only. I also picked up a couple of pieces of live rock today. In regards to the bioballs, I picked up some seachem matrix which I was going to use to help colonize the bacteria though the LFS advised against it if I'm going to have corals, I presume for the nitrate, but I'm so far away from that, I figured the matrix can only help for now.

Welcome to this obsessive hobby we all love and enjoy! There will be plenty of headaches as you learn and grow but promise this is a very rewarding experience after all of the headaches of course lol I’d research which color variant of ocellaris you’d be interested in! For example I have a davinci grade A and Darwin misbar ocellaris (black and white) and bubble tip anemones became my obsession, they are the easiest to care for and don’t require much when established in a reef tank! Any ideas on power heads and lights? I’m not sure the stock good would suffice for an anemone but they surprise me lol 

TerraIncognita
2 hours ago, bradk said:

You’re already sounding like a salty.

Keep it up Making good study progress! 🙂

Also sound like good steps so far, all on the right track.

you’ll do just fine!

ill follow your journal when you get it started! 

• Like 1