Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia anemones. They can sting corals, and will spread rapidly and become a nuisance. Take the rock out of the water, keeping a very close watch on them, and put superglue directly over them. They shrivel up very small when out of the water, and if you glue over them, they can't reinflate and will die off. Don't worry- they don't have brains, they won't feel it. Wait for the superglue to set some before putting the rock back in the tank, or your fish can glue their mouths shut picking at it. 

Your tank is not "fine" if you have ammonia. It will burn the gills of your fish, causing them discomfort, illness, stress, and eventual death. Your tank is still overstocked, regardless of them not fighting each other. "Overstocked" here means that your fish are producing more waste than your biofilter can easily handle. This will only get worse as they grow, and at their size, they should be growing pretty fast. If they aren't, something is preventing them from doing so, and that something is bad.

What state is your 10-gallon in? Is it set up at all? Cycling at all? 

Starfishie99
22 minutes ago, Tired said:

Aiptasia anemones. They can sting corals, and will spread rapidly and become a nuisance. Take the rock out of the water, keeping a very close watch on them, and put superglue directly over them. They shrivel up very small when out of the water, and if you glue over them, they can't reinflate and will die off. Don't worry- they don't have brains, they won't feel it. Wait for the superglue to set some before putting the rock back in the tank, or your fish can glue their mouths shut picking at it. 

Your tank is not "fine" if you have ammonia. It will burn the gills of your fish, causing them discomfort, illness, stress, and eventual death. Your tank is still overstocked, regardless of them not fighting each other. "Overstocked" here means that your fish are producing more waste than your biofilter can easily handle. This will only get worse as they grow, and at their size, they should be growing pretty fast. If they aren't, something is preventing them from doing so, and that something is bad.

What state is your 10-gallon in? Is it set up at all? Cycling at all? 

thank you i will take them out n superglue them right away

everything is set up and pretty much back in place 

should i test the water again? do i cycle in the fish?

Exactly what state is the 10-gallon in? Has it been fully cycled? Does it have live rock, a filter? What are its parameters? Have you been feeding the 10 gallon or otherwise adding ammonia? 

Starfishie99
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Exactly what state is the 10-gallon in? Has it been fully cycled? Does it have live rock, a filter? What are its parameters? Have you been feeding the 10 gallon or otherwise adding ammonia? 

live rock in, fully cycled, filtered, and feed

does parameters mean the pH and all that(i’ve been wondering for a while cuz you keep saying it)

Parameters are, most crucially, salinity, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Phosphates, pH, and alkalinity are also important. Magnesium and calcium are important for corals and some algae, but not for fish. 

If you have a 10-gallon totally cycled, you need to immediately move your cardinalfish and clownfish to it. The dottyback can stay in the 5gal for now, but should go in a bigger tank soon. Removing 3 of the fish will probably fix your ammonia problem in this tank, but will likely overload the biofilter on the next tank, so you'll need to do a lot of big water changes on that one until it adjusts. Ammonia should be 0, nitrites should be 0, and nitrates should be under 20 but not 0.

What did your cycle look like on the 10 gallon? Did you see ammonia rise to 2ppm in the early stages? How did you cycle it? 

Right, I suppose I should be clear- you want cyanoacrylate superglue, with nothing but that. Liquid, not gel. Superglue brand works great. There are commercial aiptasia-removal products, but when you only have a few, the glue is pretty effective. Just be sure to cover the whole thing, or it can get out from underneath. 

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

This thread is hard to read just return the fish for store credit and get more later when your tanks are cycled. Not only are you overstocking you might kill them with the cycle. You're approaching this like freshwater and it is not the same slow down. Sorry for being rude but come on.

• Like 1
Starfishie99
5 hours ago, Fryguy0201 said:

This thread is hard to read just return the fish for store credit and get more later when your tanks are cycled. Not only are you overstocking you might kill them with the cycle. You're approaching this like freshwater and it is not the same slow down. Sorry for being rude but come on.

literally already fixed the problem... you’re a bit late

Fryguy0201
12 minutes ago, Starfishie99 said:

literally already fixed the problem... you’re a bit late

where? your last update was asking what parameters means...and from your last test your tank is clearly cycling and that was less than a week ago so unless you gave all the fish back i don’t think you did. no one here wants to hurt your feelings but you are kinda refusing to do anything anyone suggest unless you did and haven’t updated which isn’t my fault and I'm not trying to berate you I would absolutely love to be proved wrong (for the fishes sake)!!

Starfishie99
7 hours ago, Fryguy0201 said:

you are kinda refusing to do anything anyone suggest

i did! and i even updated! just not in the past few days but if you go up you can read all about it. i’ve heard so many things from so many people and honestly i thought a complete restart was unnecessary but looky here, i did it. anyway, i do understand people are giving me advice for all the right reasons

ive heard different things about parameters so instead of taking people advice on that, i searched up a little guide. my numbers all match up being 0 except for nitrate which still is <5.

i did re-add the clown and orchid. both have been doing fine for the past couple days. 

i will do another water test later in the day 

You need to remove all fish except the dottyback from the 5 gallon tank. The dottyback is acceptible TEMPORARILY but will need a larger tank as it grows. 

The cardinalfish and clown can, TEMPORARILY, go in your 10 gallon. You have to closely monitor water parameters to be sure the ammonia doesn't show at all, and you need to get that 55-gallon tank as soon as possible. If you reasonably can't expect to do so, you need to rehome the clownfish. 

Starfishie99
5 hours ago, Tired said:

You need to remove all fish except the dottyback from the 5 gallon tank. The dottyback is acceptible TEMPORARILY but will need a larger tank as it grows. 

The cardinalfish and clown can, TEMPORARILY, go in your 10 gallon. You have to closely monitor water parameters to be sure the ammonia doesn't show at all, and you need to get that 55-gallon tank as soon as possible. If you reasonably can't expect to do so, you need to rehome the clownfish. 

i don’t need to rehome her just yet. i’m going to get my 55 COMPLETELY running until i add anything. 

like i said, cardinals are rehomed but not in the 10 gallon, i’m holding off on that one so i can focus on the 55

i understand that have the two together isn’t ideal but for now it works. i’ve read up on reasons why you shouldn’t have 2 in one nano and i found that if i am careful, doing many water changes n etc then it will last for the time being. 

Is the 55 cycling yet? Might as well get it up and going now. Try not to add large tangs (Dory) to it or then you will need to get a 180g going. 😛

If you like fish more than corals then get the biggest tank you can fit/afford.

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef

It can't be this hard. Very simply ensure you have the correct equipment, filter (live rock, skimmer, mechanical pad filter, whatever or all of the above), heater with thermostat, half decent light, test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Fill tank, test, test, test, 0 on amo and nitrite, low level of nitrate, steady readings for a few days, water change, jobs a good un! Enjoy weekly maintenance.... 

Before adding any fish, research the size of the tank.. and the fish you would like to check 1, the tank is big enough 2, comparability with other animals. 

End to end that full thing should take a few weeks max.. and save you a bunch of drama and £$ to boot.. 

Not sure I have over simplified this... 

• Like 1
Starfishie99
52 minutes ago, Murphych said:

It can't be this hard. Very simply ensure you have the correct equipment, filter (live rock, skimmer, mechanical pad filter, whatever or all of the above), heater with thermostat, half decent light, test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Fill tank, test, test, test, 0 on amo and nitrite, low level of nitrate, steady readings for a few days, water change, jobs a good un! Enjoy weekly maintenance.... 

Before adding any fish, research the size of the tank.. and the fish you would like to check 1, the tank is big enough 2, comparability with other animals. 

End to end that full thing should take a few weeks max.. and save you a bunch of drama and £$ to boot.. 

Not sure I have over simplified this... 

naw this is good, thank u. 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, Starfishie99 said:

live rock in, fully cycled, filtered, and feed

does parameters mean the pH and all that(i’ve been wondering for a while cuz you keep saying it)

Does this not mean that the 10-gallon is set up already? 

Also, I didn't notice it earlier- DON'T touch zoanthids with your bare hands. Their toxicity levels vary. You might get a more toxic strain in the future, or you might touch one while you have an unnoticed cut on your hand, or your body might react badly to the toxin on your skin. Or you might touch your eyes after touching them. DO NOT TOUCH POISONOUS CORALS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. Get long tweezers or gloves. You could seriously harm yourself in the right circumstances, and during a global pandemic is a bad time to have to go to the ER for palytoxin poisoning. 

Zoanthids and palythoas, if handled properly, are safe. Don't cut yourself while fragging them, don't boil them, don't scrub them vigorously with a brush, that sort of thing. Don't take big ones out of water near your face, because they can squirt poisoned water. And don't. Touch. The toxic. Corals. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...