Cultivated Reef

Reclamation project

snostorm

Montipora are awesome; they're a very hardy and forgiving SPS (and they come in many shapes and colors).  Just keep a watch on your tank's alkalinity to know when you need to start dosing.

• Like 2

Yes I was running about 7.8dkh. I switched salt to Red Sea Coral Pro as I’m looking to support my LPS as well. Trying to keep things as simple as I can with just water changes. I run no media. No skimmer. Just filter floss. 

3254F878-B34B-41EC-A112-00A46A19317A.jpeg

005C8ABB-C29D-4C28-9132-C3131D59E3A7.jpeg

46371841-207B-4497-B2C5-E4C9A0620395.jpeg

7CE7CF78-9ADA-4D6A-8615-451DA86278F5.jpeg

9 hours ago, snostorm said:

Yes I was running about 7.8dkh. I switched salt to Red Sea Coral Pro as I’m looking to support my LPS as well.

Stability, is most important.  I know some people that use a high alkalinity salt mix (like Red Sea Coral Pro) to maintain alkalinity at a level lower than a newly mixed batch of saltwater (like at 9 dKH).  Then as alkalinity drops below that level, they perform a partial water change to bring it back up.

Personally, I feel it's easier to dose two part (maintaining the alkalinity level of a newly mixed batch of saltwater, so that water changes don't affect levels either way, no matter how much or how little you change).  But whatever works best for you.

Things are looking good; keep it up.

• Like 1

Hard to tell, but that looks about right for a ball anemone. Some people have them go a little invasive, but some people never have more than one or two. IMO, leave it alone- they're easy enough to take out by typical aiptasia methods if you notice them spreading.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Chop off a nice big frag, keep the frag, and sell the rest? 

If I trim it back will it react and pollute my tank?  

• 4 months later...
filefishfinatic
On 6/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, Tired said:

Oh, you've got some pretty old clowns! That's impressive. I will warn you that they're probably getting near the ends of their life cycles, but as long as they still seem active enough, they've probably got awhile left to go. 

Do you plan to add any other fish, after the rock is swapped over and everything is stable? 

they live 40 years 

10 hours ago, filefishfinatic said:

in captivity they do. ask paul b 

I’m about to hit 40, currently in captivity. Don’t ask the wife, she’ll swear I’m in the wild. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, 1891BroJr said:

I’m about to hit 40, currently in captivity. Don’t ask the wife, she’ll swear I’m in the wild. 

Yeah I just did 40 milestone.. im watching every meal I eat.. I'm sure she's going to slip something into my roast beef anytime now .

• Haha 4

Some species /can/ live 40 years with good care and luck in the genetic lottery. That doesn't mean that every single clownfish will live to be 40 years old. Just like not every human will live to be 120. 

• Like 4

Good Morning Mcarrol.  How have you been doing?  I came across this by accident and I want to correct some things.  My tank is now 50 years old and one of my fireclowns is almost 40.  Maybe 38 or 39.  His mate is a few years younger but they still spawn constantly.  Have a great day and Merry Christmas. 😀

IMG_1769.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Paul B said:

Good Morning Mcarrol.  How have you been doing?  I came across this by accident and I want to correct some things.  My tank is now 50 years old and one of my fireclowns is almost 40.  Maybe 38 or 39.  His mate is a few years younger but they still spawn constantly.  Have a great day and Merry Christmas. 😀

IMG_1769.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Forget the fish for a minute! The same glass and silicone? 50 years old? Now that surely is pretty amazing Man! Not these days.. I couldn't imagine a red sea or waterbox lasting 10 years lol... My clearseal is 12 months or just shy and it's hankering for a replacement.. mind that might be 90% me wanting a Marine X, no @NoOneLikesADryTang

19 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Forget the fish for a minute! The same glass and silicone? 50 years old? Now that surely is pretty amazing Man! Not these days.. I couldn't imagine a red sea or waterbox lasting 10 years lol... My clearseal is 12 months or just shy and it's hankering for a replacement.. mind that might be 90% me wanting a Marine X, no @NoOneLikesADryTang

No.  It was the same glass for 40 years but I moved here 4 years ago and being my old tank was built in a wall and very scratched, I bought a new tank and brought it here.  I put everything in vats and moved it including most of the water. 

It will be 51 years old in March. 😀

629734870_FTSHippoCopperband.JPG.b2a46bd3903005078d3bc660b61a76dc.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Paul B said:

No.  It was the same glass for 40 years but I moved here 4 years ago and being my old tank was built in a wall and very scratched, I bought a new tank and brought it here.  I put everything in vats and moved it including most of the water. 

It will be 51 years old in March. 😀

629734870_FTSHippoCopperband.JPG.b2a46bd3903005078d3bc660b61a76dc.JPG

Very nice.. good to see this thanks 

8 hours ago, Paul B said:

Good afternoon – we're hanging in there!!  🙂 

Glad to hear all of that – the tank looks great!    Did you end up rebuilding your water cooled lights?