SaltCritters.com

Help!!! Please!!! Im new and I got a 5 gal

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

I also bought a glass magnet algea scraper that is AMAZING!!! my Xenia stung my blasto a bit Bce the hermit knocked over my blasto. However my Acan is puffy and healthy knockwood and so is everything else.

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If you drive your po4 and nitrate to 0... you will starve your corals. They need nitrate and po4 to survive. Nitrate and po4 are NOT THE ENEMY and are necessary building blocks for life. 

Bristleworms and feather dusters are good guys, fireworms are rare. I would not worry about it. 

You are running way too much carbon. It will pull out trace elements and good things a long with the bad. I run like 2 teaspoons in my 6g with just a piece of floss over it. 

Also welcome! 

Also!!! I will probably clean out my filtration set up on Sunday and replace with 2 finger  thick carbon pad, 1 finger thick FILTER FLOSS and biomedia from aqua clear again. Hope every works out 

• Like 1
2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Good morning!! My corals were open all night with feeders out and swimming around. I guess what I have atm after what I put in is doing good. However I will change out my filtration BCE I don't want stuff building up. And mabye it's just begginers luck with my DIY filter. I see what happens. Phos are 0 they used to be like 1-2 nitrates are around 0 so it's not like they're eliminated. Ammonia however is still a problem. Roughly .25ppm is Ammonia. So I used that Seachem prime for it

Chadicus Meridius
5 hours ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Good morning!! My corals were open all night with feeders out and swimming around. I guess what I have atm after what I put in is doing good. However I will change out my filtration BCE I don't want stuff building up. And mabye it's just begginers luck with my DIY filter. I see what happens. Phos are 0 they used to be like 1-2 nitrates are around 0 so it's not like they're eliminated. Ammonia however is still a problem. Roughly .25ppm is Ammonia. So I used that Seachem prime for it

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
19 minutes ago, Seea said:

What test kit are you using?

if it’s API the ammonia always reads 0.25 it never read zero. @devaji108 told me this .

Are you fu**ing me right now.... 

Ok well... Yeah that's the test kit...........

But it used to tell me 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So wtf. Lol. 

• Haha 1
Chadicus Meridius
52 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

I could be wrong.

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
7 minutes ago, Seea said:

I could be wrong.

It doesn't really matter if you are or not. But thanks for letting me know that. I'll be taking other tests with a grain of salt before I look into it again... However atm all is good. I also got lucky with my blasto frag, it has coralline algea Aon the plug. 🙏 So hopefully it grows after I seed it. Thank you to all for your help I'll let you know if anything else happens

Chadicus Meridius
17 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

It doesn't really matter if you are or not. But thanks for letting me know that. I'll be taking other tests with a grain of salt before I look into it again... However atm all is good. I also got lucky with my blasto frag, it has coralline algea Aon the plug. 🙏 So hopefully it grows after I seed it. Thank you to all for your help I'll let you know if anything else happens

Ok good luck.

• Thanks 1
2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Ok another problem pops up... Why isn't my GSP opening more growing. For 4 months it hasn't grown at all. Is glued to a frag plug...

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
6 minutes ago, Tired said:

Probably it's not growing because the carbon is filtering out all the nutrients, which means you're starving it. GSP likes dirtier water.

Wow... Y'all are good at this... Good point bro. Kk I go fix that thing and be back soon 😗😋😉🙃

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Ok just want to make sure with everyone!!!! I should just take out one layer of carbon and leave on in? Cuz atm I have 2 layers. See. It goes

Carbon

Filter floss

Carbon

Filter floss

Bio media

Filter floss

The filter floss is just a white foam padding similar but not quite filter floss.

I did buy some filter floss though. So how should I do this. I need help here. Someone tell me how to layer it or draw me a picture

15872263835812687276715630610513.jpg

4 hours ago, Seea said:

What test kit are you using?

if it’s API the ammonia always reads 0.25 it never read zero. @devaji108 told me this .

That's not necessarily true. Some ppl get false readings, some ppl have a hard time telling colour differences because of lighting.

I have never gotten an ammonia reading with my fully cycled tanks and I've only used api.

3 hours ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

If you are using Seachem prime, the api tester will not show accurate results within 48hrs of dosing. That's why I suggested the seachem ammonia badge because it does with use of Prime.

20 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Ok just want to make sure with everyone!!!! I should just take out one layer of carbon and leave on in? Cuz atm I have 2 layers. See. It goes

Carbon

Filter floss

Carbon

Filter floss

Bio media

Filter floss

The filter floss is just a white foam padding similar but not quite filter floss.

I did buy some filter floss though. So how should I do this. I need help here. Someone tell me how to layer it or draw me a picture

15872263835812687276715630610513.jpg

Bio media on bottom, carbon above that and floss on that.

I use 1.5 tbsp of carbon in my 25g and 1 tbsp in my 20g. Small bags that I fill myself. 

It's more cost effective and you can control how much you use buying your own bags and larger containers of carbon.

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
3 minutes ago, Seea said:

Sorry for possible false information 

That's ok! It's good to know tho

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Bio media on bottom, carbon above that and floss on that.

I use 1.5 tbsp of carbon in my 25g and 1 tbsp in my 20g. Small bags that I fill myself. 

It's more cost effective and you can control how much you use buying your own bags and larger containers of carbon.

Yeah, that sound like a good idea. I'll try that in the Future. For now I'll do what you guys said

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Hello everybody! I just did a 50% water change. Put in 1ml of amino acid. Sifted the gravel. Moved my new lps corals. And finally... Changed my DIY filter. Sorry I don't have flash atm. But

It goes.

FILTER FLOSS.

Carbon.

Bio media.

Support foam pad to hold bio media in place 

15872488396833439629346522481734.jpg

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
3 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Hello everybody! I just did a 50% water change. Put in 1ml of amino acid. Sifted the gravel. Moved my new lps corals. And finally... Changed my DIY filter. Sorry I don't have flash atm. But

It goes.

FILTER FLOSS.

Carbon.

Bio media.

Support foam pad to hold bio media in place 

15872488396833439629346522481734.jpg

How’s the corals doing?

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
3 minutes ago, Seea said:

How’s the corals doing?

They're ok... I guess. 

GSP looks like it has no life what so ever. Just purple dirt... Lol. Hasn't extended polyps for 2 almost 3 days now... Everything else is great! Acans love the acids and reef roids from time to time. Same with blasto. My ricordea never eats so that's nothing new. On my new blasto frag, it had some CORALLINE algea growing on it. So I scraped it off and dropped the shavings in the tank. Hopefully they grow!  My snails are good and so is hermit.

I really hope this works out 😅 😬

Anyways thanks to everyone for the help!!! I'll probably be posting more questions and updates to keep in touch!!! I'll probably test the waters in the morning just to give the nutrients and elements a settle. I'll let you guys know then 

• Like 1
2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Hey guys.

Phosphates= .25ppm

DKH=9-10

Nitrates= 5.0ppm-10.0ppm

Ammonia says still at .25 so mabye it is just reading that and never goes below 0

23 hours ago, Clown79 said:

If you are using Seachem prime, the api tester will not show accurate results within 48hrs of dosing. That's why I suggested the seachem ammonia badge because it does with use of Prime.

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Correct however, it's been 48hours since used. And I didn't use the actual dosage due to it being a 5 gal