Coral Vue Hydros

Clam in the sand?

RandomLetters

The lighting isn't as much a concern as the algae, THat should really be brought into check before introducing any other animals. You mentioned "target Feeding" the clams. Not really effective. They will siphon it from the water column either way. They may actually reject green water if you try to shoot it right at them (increased "pollution" could cause this response).

I'd back off on the phyto dosing if you are, and concentrate on proper CA and Alkalinity levels. No gaping which is a good sign(usually) but the mantle seems quite extended. I would concentrate on maintaining sparkling clean water quality to maximize light penetration.

Your system must be hella unstable to have algae problems like that.

And am I the only one who feels that CraigL is throwing us some serious BS? C'mon now, you know my rule:

81ee04e7.jpg

Smokin-Reefer

that algae is from the silicate sand.

there is a tank at a lfs near me with the same problem.

i tell him "its that silica sand" he says "it's a bacteria bloom" for 4 months? yea right..."asshat"

lol

I also concur that craigL. is full of said substance!

Originally posted by BKtomodachi

Your system must be hella unstable to have algae problems like that.  

And am I the only one who feels that CraigL is throwing us some serious BS?  C'mon now, you know my rule:

81ee04e7.jpg

It's amazing! After all the thousands of hours I've read up on the hobby, I finally found the guy who knows it all. God, the time I've wasted. Just because your experiences aren't reflective of other's, doesn't mean they aren't so. Although I wouldn't recomend it to everyone, there is more than enough information available on housing sensitive species. I've met alot of very smart people who think they are above learning from others. I on the other hand, perfer to listen to others experiences. I'll leave you alone now, I'm sure your cracking genetic codes or something else we can't ponder.

Whoever said up there that a pendant doesn't have a clean look is out of their bloody mind! My pendant is black and hung w/ an interesting black chain. It matches the black rim around the tank (20Long, top and bottom) the black pipes for my CPR, the black powerheads, the black edges of the skimmer, and the black stand. Thank you very much. Many many many MH setups are nice looking like mine. I know it's often expensive, but if you're not willing to spend the money to do ###### right the first bloody time in this hobby, then it isn't for you. Save up and do it right. If you don't have the patience and you jump right in then take up another hobby. KTHX! ::Steps down off soapbox::

I think that clam would do great if you got a tiny 75watt MH above the tank. Would look really nice too. There is a difference between keeping something and having it thrive or even do well. I'm sure the clam will "live and survive" under your lighting... But I think it will probably lose a lot of its coloration over time. My crocea is under 250watt of MH in my 20L and it's in the sand bed. He looks great and always has his matle waaay out and fluffy when the lights are on. Good luck w/ your clam, though. I do hope you have some success w/ it, despite whether I think it's a good idea or not. I'm not one to wish a person ill just because I disagree w/ their methods. ;)

Originally posted by Kogut

I know it's often expensive, but if you're not willing to spend the money to do ###### right the first bloody time in this hobby, then it isn't for you. Save up and do it right.

That is a good point... I am on my 3rd PC (13w, 27w, and now a 80w orbit) and still wishing for MH. Next tank will have MH for sure.

Good luck with your clam....

you know craig, a picture would be worth 1,000 words.

it costs what, like $150 to get a full 70 watt MH setup for a tank? And how much did you spend on your clam? probably close to half that. thats what i don't understand. people are willing to throw down crazy amounts of money for livestock, but won't spend the money to buy decent equipment to keep their expensive livestock happy.

A pic of my MH, crunk? Well here's an older shot of the whole setup. (My camera is a 3 hour drive away and unavailable... :( )...

MH_Fixture.jpgTank_MH_Distance2.jpg

Sry I don't have any w/ the flash. :|

Archived