SaltCritters.com

Clam in the sand?

RandomLetters

RandomLetters

Hello I seem to getting mixed opinions when i search, I just picked up a 3" Crocea clam. I dont know where to put him. As my rockwork sits right now if i put him on a rock if he closes he falls, but I've also read they shouldnt be on fine sand, and I have a silicate based sand which is fine. Should I try to re-work my rockwork inorder to give it a shelve or can i just pick up rubble, make a pile in the sand and put him on it? Id much rather do the rubble option as i would make it look like hes up on a pedistle :)

crocea clams are high light clams which meams they are attached to rocks so try and wedge him in a rock and he will hold on if given enuf time usually a day or two in the same spot and he will grapple on

RandomLetters

96watt 50/50 PC. I know, MH is first choice for clams, but I also know of people having success with clams and PC. It really does make the tank, im so glad i bought it.

as far as i know most clams like squamies will be fine under that but crocea and maxima really need halides i suppose it could surrvive if you placed really really high up in the rockwork but its colors will probobly fade a bit:*( .

Why did you buy him in the first place? Both responses tell you that they are very high light clams. In fact the Crocea are the most demanding of all the clams. Anything under 3", they relay on tons of Phyto which leads to an algae bloom . Any clam over 3-3 1/2 inches depends only on the lights. Which in your case is not enough. There is a reason why MH is recommended. PC cannot maintain what a clam needs and again the most demanding is the Crocea. He will soon become brown and wither, from lack of light. Give him back now while he still has a chance, and read up before you by something for your tank.

B)

RandomLetters
Originally posted by bobioden

Why did you buy him in the first place? Both responses tell you that they are very high light clams. In fact the Crocea are the most demanding of all the clams. Anything under 3", they relay on tons of Phyto which leads to an algae bloom . Any clam over 3-3 1/2 inches depends only on the lights. Which in your case is not enough. There is a reason why MH is recommended. PC cannot maintain what a clam needs and again the most demanding is the Crocea. He will soon become brown and wither, from lack of light. Give him back now while he still has a chance, and read up before you by something for your tank.

B)

My first flame, fantastic.

I did read, this forum actually, there is no definative answer to weither or not clams in general should be under which type of lights. Sure it seems to be the majority are siding with metal halides.

First we have brooklyn jhonny's thread here he has clams under PC, yes their maximas, but now theres this thread Here where mheiden has a crocea under the 96w and says its doing great, one more thread Here where Katara says Maximas NEED Metal Halide, refer back to link one.

Now seriously after reading all that I figured I could keep him in my 10 gallon which has been up sense feburary under 96watts. But maybe I just didn't read what you read which is appearently the only correct answer.

B)

For every thread you find that has one under pc's there are 20 that are against it. Do what you want. But when the clam loses it's color from lack of light you will know the reason why.

Good luck, keep it at high in the tank as possible and since it is only 3 inches, target feed it at least 2 times a day.

:

RandomLetters

Im going to target feed it twice a day yet in a previous post you said

Any clam over 3-3 1/2 inches depends only on the lights.

Being against it and it being impossible are two totally different things.

Excellent water quality, high calcium, correct levels of idione, stronium, etc are all factors to a clam doing well. I have been very successful with my crocea under a 96 w 50/50 light. The clam is half-way up in the 12 gal Eclipse tank. I have had it for 8 months. It was under PCs where I bought it from. It is growing (two new "rings") and is actually gaining color. I feed with BioPlankton once or twice a week. I do target feed that. I also use Marine Snow, but I'm not sure how good that stuff is.

I know people say that halides are the only way to go for clams, but that is just wrong. If I could get halides over my tank for a decent price and so it looked decent in my front room, I might do it. But, hanging a pennent or similar set-ups don't have a clean look and take away from the tank. There is so much light bleed and wires that it just looks terrible. My tank is very important to me and I take very good care of it. But, I also care about how it looks in my front room.

I have had success. I know others have as well.

So, I would advise placing the clam up high in the tank. It will take ahold (and won't let go!). Target feed it twice a week or so and keep your water perfect. Keep your calcium high with Kalk, etc.

Good luck!

RandomLetters

Thanks for the reply mheiden. I do currently have it on a pile of rocks on the bottom. I was going to wait until it connected to a small rock then epoxy the small rock to a large one near the top. I don't see any other way of putting it on a rock and having it stay put once it closes it shifts a little bit causing it to topple over. I cant wedge it anywhere because then it may not be able to open properly, have any other ideas?

Just try to find a rock with some flat area on it. I was able to find a natural place for mine after doing some rearranging. Now that he is firmly set on the rock, my arrangement is set. Getting him towards the top will give it more light intensity, which is the goal. Just play around with it and see what you can find. The clam will do some burrowing. Mince actually snapped off a small piece or two of rock around it so it could get a better grip and still open widely. They do have some power!

try them out up high, but if they keep falling, then let them figure out where they wanna be...wouldnt it make sense to let the organism choose what it wants? also in a 10 gallon, there isnt a whole lot of difference between the top and bottom light-wise. the only other thing is to feed him...not twice a day, but 2-3 times per week with live phyto will keep him jammin.

O.K. I haven't posted here before, but I've been a member for a while now. Everyone has their own opinions and experiences with sensitive critters: Here's mine. 1 crocea, 2 black maxes on the sand in a 15L under 80w of 50/50 PC. I don't feed or dose anything. I also have a sabae, some SPS, and 1 flower pot(also no-no's). 32 months now. Great growth and color. All around happy tank.

Filtration: 20lbs. Live rock and an aquaclear mini with sponge and chemipure. Flow: Rio 90. The tank is around 4 years old. In Feb. the clams, gonipora, and sabae will be in there 3 years. They were a package deal. For $100 I couldn't pass it up.

Crocea are the most light dependant however they can survive by consuming phytoplankton. The consumation of phytoplankton or other nutrients is secondary. Photosynthesis of zoozantelle in the clams tissue is its primary source of nutrition. Under pc's the clam is still utilizing photosynthetic nutrients but also if not moreso the clam is relying on outside nutrients. Eventually (yes even years later) the clam will die. They have survived millions of years, give em some strong light.

• 4 weeks later...
RandomLetters
Originally posted by Travis

yeah um, just a question, why do you have a Silicate based sand!? isn't that BAD!?

Depends on who you talk to, Southdown wasnt available at the time and still isn't. I read of a few user's a while back that use the same sand with no problems, I also have no problems that are sand related.

The clam is still doing good, gets phyto a couple times a week and looks as good, if not better, then the day I threw it in there. I'll try to get in picture within the next couple days but honestly im a little embarrased to post a picture I tried my works RO water and appearntly the unit needs to be thrown in the trash, two days later I get a bad outbreak of hair and slime algae, the slime is gone now but the hair is going to take a while.

a silicate sand bed is ok aslong as it dosent break down and release silicates i keep up a 10 that has a silicate sand bed and has been doing great for 8 months

• 3 weeks later...
RandomLetters

7 weeks later

Clam.JPG

Kept him in the sand but made a platform for him, hes doing great and seems to have grown atleast 1/2 inch. Full tank shots once this hair algae is gone :) which should be very soon now its decreasing by the day

Archived