SaltCritters.com

First s.w. Tank 32g

Michael78

3 hours ago, Tired said:

You can just look at the macroalgae descriptions and see what kind you like the look of. Don't put it in the filter, it'll die in there without lighting.

Most of the red macroalgaes are easy to keep and should do fine. I like- I forget the spelling, graciliaria, but many herbivorous animals will try to eat it. You may want to avoid caulerpa, it's invasive. Halimeda needs calcium in the water, but regular water changes generally provide that just fine, it's not particularly fussy. 

Bottled bacteria and filter floss should work fine to cycle the tank, just keep an eye on the parameters. If you're going to quarantine, though, you should quarantine all the fish- what if you get ich into the tank with that first fish? 

Thanks... will pick some some red up.. so far I looked and the red looked decent... agree on the q.t. But I typically throw the first fish in the new tank after it’s cycled and chance it..and the second addition goes in q.t first..etc.. etc.. hasn’t backfired on me yet.. if it does I’ll just have to remove snails and medicate the whole tank... thanks again!

Day 13.... 95% water change to get nitrates down... added 1 purple firefish and 2 cerith snails... very light start but I’m ok with that.. I’ll give it a week or two and add a couple more snails.. hopefully the trocus snails will be in stock... fish seems happy does not seem skittish at all.. one snail is already all over the place looking for food..