Coral Vue Hydros

First s.w. Tank 32g

Michael78

Nice.. let’s hope so... I have a f.w. Tank that’s just about cycled as well so hopefully will be ready soon and I can get some stuff in both tanks on the same day!

• Like 1

Glad you asked... I have not been.. should I at all? Also this will be cycled pretty soon... since stores by me are all closed I will be ordering online.. I know it was recommended to start with a c.u.c but my rock was dry and there is no algae in my tank would it be wise to start with a fish? Also since they charge so much for shipping would it be ok to do a real small c.u.c. And a fish? This way there is feeding and some leftovers? Or shall I just do a c.u.c and feed them?  Thanks a lot! Not the end of the world if I have to pay for shipping twice

• Like 1

I Would probably start with a purple firefish if that matters. don’t think they are to messy but not sure..I want to do this right and am in no rush whatsoever.. so if adding a fish is not wise at this point then I will gladly wait.. just figured they charge $30 for shipping each time.. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Michael78 said:

Glad you asked... I have not been.. should I at all? Also this will be cycled pretty soon... since stores by me are all closed I will be ordering online.. I know it was recommended to start with a c.u.c but my rock was dry and there is no algae in my tank would it be wise to start with a fish? Also since they charge so much for shipping would it be ok to do a real small c.u.c. And a fish? This way there is feeding and some leftovers? Or shall I just do a c.u.c and feed them?  Thanks a lot! Not the end of the world if I have to pay for shipping twice

23 minutes ago, Michael78 said:

I Would probably start with a purple firefish if that matters. don’t think they are to messy but not sure..I want to do this right and am in no rush whatsoever.. so if adding a fish is not wise at this point then I will gladly wait.. just figured they charge $30 for shipping each time.. 

No, no need to turn the lights on. I was just wondering, it's better this way to avoid some of the algae bloom but once you do turn them on regularly you will see some, it's sort of inevitable in a new tank. I would go ahead and order a small C.U.C. along with your fish still as the algae will come quick once you turn the lights on.

You're also good to add fish so go at it. No issues with a purple firefish, those are beautiful. I wish I can keep one but sort of impossible to put a full lid on my tank. (They are very jumpy fish).

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Steemax said:

No, no need to turn the lights on. I was just wondering, it's better this way to avoid some of the algae bloom but once you do turn them on regularly you will see some, it's sort of inevitable in a new tank. I would go ahead and order a small C.U.C. along with your fish still as the algae will come quick once you turn the lights on.

You're also good to add fish so go at it. No issues with a purple firefish, those are beautiful. I wish I can keep one but sort of impossible to put a full lid on my tank. (They are very jumpy fish).

Awesome.. Thanks! I never ordered by mail so hopefully all works out well.. still have a few more days at least but now just need to pick a small c.u.c.. that’s gonna be the hard part as I’m not sure what I need.. I will try to do some good research... any opinions are welcome!!! I did hear the fire fish are good jumpers so glad I have a lid! Thanks again

Check out the pre-built packages on reefcleaners.org.  Shipping is included in the price.  I've ordered from them several times and have always been happy.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Michael78 said:

Awesome.. Thanks! I never ordered by mail so hopefully all works out well.. still have a few more days at least but now just need to pick a small c.u.c.. that’s gonna be the hard part as I’m not sure what I need.. I will try to do some good research... any opinions are welcome!!! I did hear the fire fish are good jumpers so glad I have a lid! Thanks again

To put things into perspective my 2 Trochus snails and 3 Blue leg hermits keep my 20 clean. I'm not a fan of a ton of c.u.c a lot of them end up dying due to lack of food in a new tank. I also gave my hermits various sizes of empty shells and they've left my snails alone.

If I had a 32g I would probably do 3 Trochus snails and 5 blue legs. I also really want to add a serpent star fish down the road.

Be careful if you're looking to add a cleaner shrimp. Once you start adding corals they could become a problem. I had to give mine back to the LFS and it was a pain in the rear to catch.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

Check out the pre-built packages on reefcleaners.org.  Shipping is included in the price.  I've ordered from them several times and have always been happy.

Thanks.. I checked that site out just now and seems like they really recommend a lot.. I think if my tank was having an issue or was fully established and going through algae that would probably be the way to go... I will keep that in mind in the future.. place seems legit.

9 minutes ago, Steemax said:

To put things into perspective my 2 Trochus snails and 3 Blue leg hermits keep my 20 clean. I'm not a fan of a ton of c.u.c a lot of them end up dying due to lack of food in a new tank. I also gave my hermits various sizes of empty shells and they've left my snails alone.

If I had a 32g I would probably do 3 Trochus snails and 5 blue legs. I also really want to add a serpent star fish down the road.

Be careful if you're looking to add a cleaner shrimp. Once you start adding corals they could become a problem. I had to give mine back to the LFS and it was a pain in the rear to catch.

I agree and definitely think A smaller c.u.c is better for now as I can always add later as needed.. not really interested in getting any shrimp, so shouldn’t be an issue there...I think what you recommended is perfect for me..those snails are pretty cool and some blue legs are pretty cool as well... think I’m set now!! That was quick!! Lol

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Michael78 said:

I agree and definitely think A smaller c.u.c is better for now as I can always add later as needed.. not really interested in getting any shrimp, so shouldn’t be an issue there...I think what you recommended is perfect for me..those snails are pretty cool and some blue legs are pretty cool as well... think I’m set now!! That was quick!! Lol

Awesome! Yeah blue legs I found to be the least aggressive hermit and shouldn't bother any of your corals or your snails. Just make sure to add some empty shells for them to grow out into shortly after introducing them. That'll keep them from trying to murder your snails to hijack their shells.

Those serpent stars are pretty cool.. I would assume they get pretty big.. what tank size is recommended for them as the website I saw them on doesn’t say? 

Just now, Michael78 said:

Those serpent stars are pretty cool.. I would assume they get pretty big.. what tank size is recommended for them as the website I saw them on doesn’t say? 

They can get VERY large, eventually spanning their legs to a foot long but they can maneuver in very tight spaces which is why their recommended tank size is around 10 gallons. A small red one is on my list. They are fun to watch when you throw food in the tank. I would wait on getting one though until you're a few months in.

58 minutes ago, Steemax said:

They can get VERY large, eventually spanning their legs to a foot long but they can maneuver in very tight spaces which is why their recommended tank size is around 10 gallons. A small red one is on my list. They are fun to watch when you throw food in the tank. I would wait on getting one though until you're a few months in.

Definitely way down the road if the do.

58 minutes ago, Steemax said:

Sounds good.. do the stores send extra shells? Or can you order from the stores?

15 minutes ago, Michael78 said:

Definitely way down the road if the do.

Sounds good.. do the stores send extra shells? Or can you order from the stores?

None that I know of, I bought a pack of assorted sizes from Amazon

ReefCleaners sells extra hermit shells, cheap. Strongly recommend them for cleaners as well. Throw in a macroalgae with your order, maybe. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Tired said:

ReefCleaners sells extra hermit shells, cheap. Strongly recommend them for cleaners as well. Throw in a macroalgae with your order, maybe. 

Any specific kind? Noticed there are lots of different kinds.. all seem to do a fairly similar thing...Do you recommend putting it in the tank like a plant? Or in the filter like some do? 

so my first fish will go right in the tank along with a couple snails but I’m thinking a month or two down the road when fish #2 comes.. I can set up a 10g q tank.. do you think that some filter floss from the established tank and maybe a little bottled bacteria will suffice? What do you guys do when it’s time for a new arrival? With f.w. I usually just run a sponge filter in my main tank and transfer it to The q tank.. Does used floss typically cut it or do you cycle the q tank every time? I Value your opinions .. thanks

You can just look at the macroalgae descriptions and see what kind you like the look of. Don't put it in the filter, it'll die in there without lighting.

Most of the red macroalgaes are easy to keep and should do fine. I like- I forget the spelling, graciliaria, but many herbivorous animals will try to eat it. You may want to avoid caulerpa, it's invasive. Halimeda needs calcium in the water, but regular water changes generally provide that just fine, it's not particularly fussy. 

Bottled bacteria and filter floss should work fine to cycle the tank, just keep an eye on the parameters. If you're going to quarantine, though, you should quarantine all the fish- what if you get ich into the tank with that first fish? 

• Thanks 1