Cultivated Reef

Torch coral barnacle?

justkeepitalive

justkeepitalive

I just saw this hole in my torch I’ve had for a few weeks. Inside the hole looks like a barnacle. Anyone have any idea? I can’t find anything like it on google. The hole is a perfect circle like it was done with a drill. 

DEC00376-CF1C-4B0D-B93D-D4E301A00373.jpeg

BB6B08CC-7D22-4496-8BEC-0F04CEE561E5.jpeg

justkeepitalive
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Probably a barnacle or rock-boring clam. Harmless, either way, it'll just burrow into the skeleton. Doesn't mess with the meaty parts.

Do they open or is there any way to know for sure what it is? I had a torch about a year ago and it died suddenly. It had a few little holes in it so this makes me worry a little. 

Periodically watch it. If it sticks out a thing that looks sort of like a spindly hand or the end of a feather and 'grabs' at the water, it's a barnacle, a harmless filter-feeder. If not, it's probably a clam, also a harmless filter-feeder. 

As far as I know, there aren't any pests that kill torch corals by burrowing into the skeleton. The coral just needs the skeleton for support, the skeleton isn't alive and doesn't have any important parts in it. The holes in your prior one (assuming they weren't in the flesh) were likely coincidence. 

• Thanks 1
justkeepitalive
8 minutes ago, Tired said:

Periodically watch it. If it sticks out a thing that looks sort of like a spindly hand or the end of a feather and 'grabs' at the water, it's a barnacle, a harmless filter-feeder. If not, it's probably a clam, also a harmless filter-feeder. 

As far as I know, there aren't any pests that kill torch corals by burrowing into the skeleton. The coral just needs the skeleton for support, the skeleton isn't alive and doesn't have any important parts in it. The holes in your prior one (assuming they weren't in the flesh) were likely coincidence. 

Thank you I feel much better I hope it’s a barnacle that would be interesting.