SaltCritters.com

First build - What can be done for $2k?

Bedowyn

Come back to add my tally on my currently running equipment, prices as I recall:

Tank - IM 30 Long ~$320 (xmas sale, before they include the pro package) - a cheap metal frame for a 40 breeder with a nice plywood slab over top for stand

return pump - IM Mightyjet ~$100

wave maker - Icecap Gyre 1K ~$120  (will likely pick up a second one used on NR marketplace as I like it a lot)

light mounts - two Kessil rigid arms ~great deal on NR classified from a fellow member  $50 (maybe?)

heater - cobalt neotherm 150W ~$100

Light - custom nanobox ~$900 (more coverage than a Radion, similar total power)

dosing pump - BRS basic dosing pump ~ $70 on a timer-controlled powerstrip

One thing missing from your original inquiry, what are the fish and corals that you're looking to keep as that will also drive different subsets of requirements.  skimming thru, seems like a lot of equipment discussion, but no one had asked you what the end goal should look like from "what's in the glass box" perspective?      

as my commitment/addiction to the hobby grew (reefing since 2013), these equipment obviously have been upgraded over time - not a one-time shopping cart like you're trying to do now.  I just wanted to show you how far you could go for under $2000 worth of equipment in the 30-40 gallon range.

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

One thing missing from your original inquiry, what are the fish and corals that you're looking to keep as that will also drive different subsets of requirements.  skimming thru, seems like a lot of equipment discussion, but no one had asked you what the end goal should look like from "what's in the glass box" perspective?      

That question is up there above, somewhere.  The point is extremely valid.  Unfortunately, my answer is an extremely naive "I dunnooooo.  Pretty is good!'  

I will try to wrap my brain around that as I get closer to making a decision, for sure.  But it might be as simple as "pile of rocks on sand, with whatever corals are easier to grown/maintain, and some clownfish."  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bedowyn said:

"pile of rocks on sand, with whatever corals are easier to grown/maintain, and some clownfish."  

your light cost should be significantly less than mine 😄.  depending on the footprint of the tank, one of these (Prime16HD, Kessil 160, or Hydra32HD) would probably be more than enough to start you out and carry you through the first 3-4 years of reefing journey if you do intend to take it slow on the coral side of things.   

I think what @mitten_reef did above is really helpful for you to also make a checklist, so I'll share mine too. Also note that I didn't get all this stuff at once. Tank + sump, stand, plumbing, sand, and salt mix was all I had for a while until I found the items I needed/wanted at the price range I was willing/able to pay for them. The packages from Waterbox, Redsea, etc. are all appealing, but you pay a premium for the ease of ordering most major components at once. Don't know if anyone has thrown this into the thread, but you might also look at SCA tank packages. I went with the innovative marine, but I highly considered an SCA.

• Tank: Nuvo 50 EXT about $500 
  • Lighting: Two AI Hydra 26 HDs I got secondhand, but with AI warranty and mounts $500
  • Sump: Trigger Systems Emerald 36 $150 (this was an absolute steal IMO and very oversized,  but just to illustrate the magic of FB marketplace and the classified sections of forums)
  • Return Pump: Some Jebao on Amazon $50
  • Skimmer: Octo 150 SSS $185 (also secondhand from a forum)
  • Sand and Rock: not exact values, but the rock I have now is Caribsea Liferock. Amazon has a deal you have to check for because it sells out fast, but its 40 pounds for $80.
  • Flow: MP10 about $150 secondhand, but I also have to buy a new driver and thats included in there.
  • Stand: Built myself, but I'd estimate about $50-100 in materials
  • Test kits: depends what you get, but to begin you'd likely only need nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. Might run you $30. A refractometer will also likely run you around $20-30 from someone on the forum. 
  • Like 2

The checklists are definitely helpful.  I am going to see what I have, when I get home.  And am still trying to window shop the various AIO systems that are out there.  

It seems like some come with more than others.  The Red Sea Max E series looks interesting.  It includes a lot, and seems to have an upgrade option for an in-cabinet Sump.  But I wonder if that is practical for an existing system.  IE - can it be added if their is already water in play?

Need to look at others as well, besides RS and WB

On 2/5/2020 at 6:12 PM, Bedowyn said:

Hullo.  I am a middle aged, Midwestern guy with a family.  I did freshwater when I was younger, And I think I am finally ready to make the leap to marine! I have been talking about it for FOREVER. 

I am wanting to learn, learn, learn.  And before I go visit my LFS, I am trying to read as much as I can, and the more I read, the more I realize how very little I know.  Ideally, I would love to find a good A to Z guide for newbs.  But so far, I have not found it.  So my first question is ... anyone have any suggestions on such a site, document or thread? 

But my main question for this thread is ... what can I realistically afford?  I just have to keep my entire budget under $2k.  And my sense is that this will NOT get me as far as I hoped or thought.  For example, if I spend $1200-ish on a 40 gallon AIO, I thought I would be good to go. But now I gather that this presumption is wildly inaccurate?

So ... how can I figure out what kind of stuff I can afford?  SO that I can begin to ballpark and set my expectations?

Thanks in advance guys for any and all advice.  Sorry if this post is redundant.

This thread for book ideas:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list!

There are LOTS of great books, but start with Martin A Moe's two main books....you can get em cheap used and they are excellent. 

Footnote to reading:  "New info" that's not in a book is often of the kind that you won't miss and which you might be better off without.  Plus, it's easy to find that kind of "pop info" online.   So don't worry about a book's age.   IMO one of the best books on the subject was written in the 1850's.  Check out Aquarium History.  Moe's books are still a better place to start though!  😉

Nano Reef has a great Library section so check that out as well as these online sources:

http://reefkeeping.com/

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/

It's pretty nerdy, but I'll also recommend my Reef Success blog too where I mostly comment on and link to relevant articles in science journals.   They're usually very narrow in focus though, so I'd suggest it only as a compliment (or sometimes antidote) to traditional sources of hobby advice.

A couple of good books and some online info from Nano Reef and those two websites will be a lot of reading already.