Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Your Reef Aquarium-Oriented Reading List!

mcarroll

There are a million great books and periodicals out there -- wondering what folks are reading to get their aquarium knowledge these days?

Always looking for something new and interesting!

Lately I've been reading Martin Moe's classic "Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder" again.  

Very good book that has been updated (at least) four major times over it's life -- standard reading for MANY a great reefer through the decades!!

What are you reading or what have you read lately?

Edited by mcarroll
Better title.
  • Like 6
  • The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - by Robert M. Fenner: a recognized classic
  • Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility - by Anthony Calfo: good for novice/intermediate aquarists
  • Clownfishes - by Joyce D. Wilkerson: a must for anybody wanting to breed clownfish

Clownfishes is available as a Kindle ebook.  Unfortunately, the others are out of production, but should still be available used.

Sadly, I haven't read anything new lately.  I'm hoping people will add to the list; I'd like to pick up something newer (not as concerned about equipment, but would like it to include newer thoughts about nutrients, microbes, biodiversity, etc).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:
  • The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - by Robert M. Fenner: a recognized classic
  • Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility - by Anthony Calfo: good for novice/intermediate aquarists
  • Clownfishes - by Joyce D. Wilkerson: a must for anybody wanting to breed clownfish

Clownfishes is available as a Kindle ebook.  Unfortunately, the others are out of production, but should still be available used.

Sadly, I haven't read anything new lately.  I'm hoping people will add to the list; I'd like to pick up something newer (not as concerned about equipment, but would like it to include newer thoughts about nutrients, microbes, biodiversity, etc).

Even as old as it is, "The Reef Aquarium" trilogy actually has decent info on most of that....and save the occasional allusion to low nutrient reefs, they don't recommend the zero nutrient goal folk so often seem to stumble onto these days.

But you might also appreciate another book I got a while back:

Marine Microbiology: Ecology & Applications

I have 1st edition and I think they're about to release a 3rd edition.....should be able to find older copies cheap.

Strangely their copyright prevents ANY utilization of ANY material in this book for ANY reason in ANY medium (not even new kinds in the future!) without EXPLICIT written permisson from the publisher. 🙄  How douchy can you get?  Hopefully they won't mind that I used their precious little title to refer to their precious little 282 page book.  It is excellent reading material.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Only online articles or books on the ocean I have.

Never purchased a book for my tank, so much info online now and it's pretty current.

Currency is the strength of online material, so of course.  

In the areas of completeness and basic integrity is where online info usually falls down.

Unless you have something against books (which would be weird BUT OK!!!) I would highly recommend any of the ones mentioned.  It's unlikely that you would learn nothing of interest.  😎

While you're here, and since you've been using online exclusively, why don't you lay some links on us for the best stuff you've read?  (And promise to post if you DO decide to try out a book someday!!)  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I haven't really bought any books but will probably buy Pauls that was relaunched....all the proceeds go to Multiple Sclerosis research. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1692558358?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

I read some chapters of really old books randomly online and it's interesting just to see how far things have come. 

I do have the coral magazine subscription.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Paul B's book is great!  I have it and highly recommend it!

Anything in particular you'd point out that's been in Coral recently that was useful or specifically interesting to YOU in any way?

• Like 3

Not too often....but stuff like The Reef Tank has apparently hit "collector status" so the prices of Vol 3 of that series are looney.  

There are probably others in that status too, but not many.  

Fossa and Nilsen's series are generally reasonably priced.  

The Debelius and Baensch series was reasonable.  

So were books from Tullock, Riddle, Moe, Straughan and others.  

TONS of great, inexpensive options out there.  Don't forget your LOCAL used book stores too!

(It should go without saying to buy these local if you can, whether new or used.)

Not sure what the selection of anything is really like on eBook....the times I've shopped for ebooks (not even on aquariums) the selection always seems WAY too limited.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

@Paul B's book is great!  I have it and highly recommend it!

Anything in particular you'd point out that's been in Coral recently that was useful or specifically interesting to YOU in any way?

Chiming in - just about everything in Coral is excellent.  You can look at the tables of content at their website and purchase digital and for issues paper copies.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, OldManSea said:

just about everything in Coral is excellent

No pressure 😎 but I'd love to hear about any particular articles that were specifically interesting or useful to you.  (From anyone really!)

Edited by mcarroll
clarity
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Even as old as it is, "The Reef Aquarium" trilogy actually has decent info on most of that....and save the occasional allusion to low nutrient reefs, they don't recommend the zero nutrient goal folk so often seem to stumble onto these days.

But you might also appreciate another book I got a while back:

Marine Microbiology: Ecology & Applications

I have 1st edition and I think they're about to release a 3rd edition.....should be able to find older copies cheap.

Strangely their copyright prevents ANY utilization of ANY material in this book for ANY reason in ANY medium (not even new kinds in the future!) without EXPLICIT written permisson from the publisher. 🙄  How douchy can you get?  Hopefully they won't mind that I used their precious little title to refer to their precious little 282 page book.  It is excellent reading material.

Currency is the strength of online material, so of course.  

In the areas of completeness and basic integrity is where online info usually falls down.

Unless you have something against books (which would be weird BUT OK!!!) I would highly recommend any of the ones mentioned.  It's unlikely that you would learn nothing of interest.  😎

While you're here, and since you've been using online exclusively, why don't you lay some links on us for the best stuff you've read?  (And promise to post if you DO decide to try out a book someday!!)  😁

I have a thing against the cost of them and space they take up, that's it.

I like the convenience of online but you have to find the correct material to read.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Not too often....but stuff like The Reef Tank has apparently hit "collector status" so the prices of Vol 3 of that series are looney.  

There are probably others in that status too, but not many.  

Fossa and Nilsen's series are generally reasonably priced.  

The Debelius and Baensch series was reasonable.  

So were books from Tullock, Riddle, Moe, Straughan and others.  

TONS of great, inexpensive options out there.  Don't forget your LOCAL used book stores too!

(It should go without saying to buy these local if you can, whether new or used.)

Not sure what the selection of anything is really like on eBook....the times I've shopped for ebooks (not even on aquariums) the selection always seems WAY too limited.

I find a lot of selection but under certain subjects only.

Locally, the few books I have found are Ocean based not hobby related and used they range from $30+

• Like 1

Well I bought Paul's book since it supports MS so that will be the only reef related book I will own besides coral mag. 

I would buy Albert Thiel's Nano Reef Aquariums book if I could find it. 

null_zps882f39ac.jpg&key=b988231d6aafdfb

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well I bought Paul's book since it supports MS so that will be the only reef related book I will own besides coral mag. 

I would buy Albert Thiel's Nano Reed Aquariums book if I could find it. 

null_zps882f39ac.jpg&key=b988231d6aafdfb

Looks like that one has been rendered useless to us by collectors as well.  $90 + $20 shipping from the UK for a book that (at least Amazon lists as) a dang Print On Demand book.  :sad:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I find a lot of selection but under certain subjects only.

Locally, the few books I have found are Ocean based not hobby related and used they range from $30+

Cousteau's Ocean book by DK books is AWESOME if you can find that one. 

Martin Moe's books are all trade paperback size.  (Smallish.)  If you got one of them and never got another aquarium book, you'd still be set and only have to dedicate .0009 cubic meters of your space to it.  About the space a liter of water takes up (0.001 cubic meters)!  😄

The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates by Martin A. Moe is his other awesome book...and it's get more used copies available for around CDN$8-9, shipped.

Marine Aquarium Handbook by Moe Jr., Martin A. is only a little cheaper than brand new at $22.  $26 new.  But there's an ebook version for CDN$10.  You can't resist.

🤣

@seabass it looks like Amazon has a Kindle version of Marine Aquarium Reference on the US store for $11.

Wonder why digital is cheaper in Canada?  Maybe just for you Clown79!  😊

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Cousteau's Ocean book by DK books is AWESOME if you can find that one. 

Martin Moe's books are all trade paperback size.  (Smallish.)  If you got one of them and never got another aquarium book, you'd still be set and only have to dedicate .0009 cubic meters of your space to it.  About the space a liter of water takes up (0.001 cubic meters)!  😄

The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates by Martin A. Moe is his other awesome book...and it's get more used copies available for around CDN$8-9, shipped.

Marine Aquarium Handbook by Moe Jr., Martin A. is only a little cheaper than brand new at $22.  $26 new.  But there's an ebook version for CDN$10.  You can't resist.

🤣

@seabass it looks like Amazon has a Kindle version of Marine Aquarium Reference on the US store for $11.

Wonder why digital is cheaper in Canada?  Maybe just for you Clown79!  😊

That is odd, usually everything is more expensive here. I will check them out.

Ty

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Looks like that one has been rendered useless to us by collectors as well.  $90 + $20 shipping from the UK for a book that (at least Amazon lists as) a dang Print On Demand book.  :sad:

Might be cheaper if you have Paul himself mail you one. Then he can sign it 😉

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Might be cheaper if you have Paul himself mail you one. Then he can sign it 😉

That was RE: Albert Theil's book.

I do think I remember reading that Paul B was able to do that for folks....not sure tho.  (He can be asked since he's a regular online.)

38 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That was RE: Albert Theil's book.

I do think I remember reading that Paul B was able to do that for folks....not sure tho.  (He can be asked since he's a regular online.)

where did you see alberts book for sale? I can't find it. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

where did you see alberts book for sale? I can't find it. 

Sorry!  I totally meant to post that!

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30248110963

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

@Paul B is here too, occasionally!  🙂