Top Shelf Aquatics

T5 fixture emitting fumes?

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I've been running an ATI 24" 4 bulb for almost two years now (Though i got it used so who knows just how old it is) and recently I noticed an odd smell in the room the tank was in and was feeling lightheaded, after airing out the room a bit I did some smelling around and it seemed to be coming the the light fixture. I turned it off and sure enough the smell stopped. Thinking it might be the bulbs I installed some fresh ones only to find that it still made the fumes. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've had to keep my light off for over a week now and while I only have a single leather coral currently and it seems ok for now I'd like to get the tank lit ASAP. I'm planning on just getting a new light but figured I should ask ya'll first.

Blown capacitors (I think) can be really stinky.....I'm betting a nickel it's the transformer (aka ballast).  Or one of them, if there's more than one.  😉

(Which could be related to fans not cooling them properly I guess!!)

• Like 3

A spotlight - almost the opposite of T5HO!   I'm guessing you didn't really like the "sterile" look under the old lights?

How are you liking the new look by comparison?

Did you happen to take any measure to make sure any existing corals don't get tweaked by the switch?

16 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

A spotlight - almost the opposite of T5HO!   I'm guessing you didn't really like the "sterile" look under the old lights?

How are you liking the new look by comparison?

Did you happen to take any measure to make sure any existing corals don't get tweaked by the switch?

I'm loving it so far, and the one coral in the tank is doing well. I made sure to use the light's acclimation mode especially since the tank has had no light for a while.

• Like 1