Top Shelf Aquatics

Sharbuckle

Baby Scopas added to the fuge/frag tank to help with algae... will get moved to the 100g frag tank when it arrives. 

Xenia decided to melt almost overnight. One small stalk left. Sort of weird. I’ll need to do some testing today.

• Like 1

Xenia has been hit or miss for me in the past, surprisingly. I’ve read that they prefer “dirty” water, but I’ve never tested the validity of those claims myself. Could just be one of those things ya know?

Sharbuckle

Got a new 55 gallon water mixing container today. Going to make big water changes a lot easier. Starting today with a full 55g change!

17894277-97B5-4D40-9BD8-32422995A4B5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
7 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Got a new 55 gallon water mixing container today. Going to make big water changes a lot easier. Starting today with a full 55g change!

Now THAT's a mixing container! It's bigger than my reef! 🤣

What's that tank next to the 70g? Is it just a frag growout system?

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Now THAT's a mixing container! It's bigger than my reef! 🤣

What's that tank next to the 70g? Is it just a frag growout system?

It was supposed to be a display refugium but slowly turned into a frag tank / bubble algae factory. It’s plumbed into the display, I have a frag tank on order so when that gets here I’ll convert it back into a Refugium. 

• Like 2
Sharbuckle
On 5/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, Sharbuckle said:

17894277-97B5-4D40-9BD8-32422995A4B5.jpeg

Well... good thing I tested the water from this barrel. I mixed up a fresh batch of salt and the water was incredibly murky. Tested after 24 hours of mixing and the nitrates were sky high..... I think there was some residual nutrients left behind in the barrel. Tossing it out, not taking chances. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
Sharbuckle

Heatwave is just crushing the tank. Luckily I found an old busted AF unit and got it working. Take a look at these temps...... you can tell when the AC kicked on. 

045683C5-4C9E-41F5-85D1-40E29D24C2A1.png

• Wow 1

Okay... nitrates just won’t go down. Tomorrow I’m going to Brightwell xport cubes to a Torq reactor and add it to the system. As per recommendations from Brightwell ive soaked the cubes overnight in tank water with microbacter7

7366AC08-C288-4CF3-83DB-65D2C1922781.jpeg

2863DB6E-8663-423E-9F5D-31F2B3919FD6.jpeg

• Wow 1
On 6/11/2021 at 8:37 PM, A.m.P said:

Could always run biopellets or a sulfur reactor, the brightwell media is actually sulfur doped IIRC.

Bio pellets sort of scare me. I’ve seen systems stripped clean overnight and huge losses. 

• Like 1

Got a new barrel that’s nice and clean. The plan this week is to do two 55 gallon water changes resulting in what should be a 100% change over two days. Using Brightwell neo marine. 

Getting pretty frustrated with this tank..... I’m going to give it a month. If things don’t start to even out I may sell off my livestock and start from scratch.... getting to be a bit much

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, Murphych said:

Use a liquid nitrate remover. Those blocks take time to work. Liquid removed strips accurately and immediately. 

That’s why I got the blocks. I don’t like anything happening too fast, knowing me I’d get impatient and up the dose on a remover. 

mitten_reef
On 5/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Sharbuckle said:

Made a video this week and finally posted it. The last you’ll see of the bully chromis.

Not sure why you’re trying to lower nitrate. This video looks/looked great. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Well there is that.. stick with it mate.. won't be long to sort out 

Thanks 😊 

41 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Not sure why you’re trying to lower nitrate. This video looks/looked great. 

Mostly old footage mixed in with some new shots. I’ve got ZERO polyp extension right now and some pieces are starting to stn. 

• Sad 1
mitten_reef
30 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Mostly old footage mixed in with some new shots. I’ve got ZERO polyp extension right now and some pieces are starting to stn. 

STN is the worst, it just keeps stringing you along, often not getting worse nor better, ugh....  hopefully some freshly mixed sw will help reset some params that might have caused the general unhappy status 

• Like 2

Random shots taken tonight. Did a 50% water change the other day, going to do another on Tuesday..... and another next week! Big water changes I’m hoping will help fix the issue along with the xport cubes

2F46D23A-AA3D-4E63-90E1-AD42FF10546E.jpeg

AB283C2A-C61B-4EBB-89A5-759EFB900639.jpeg

0FFF7AE4-C53A-4CC2-8EA1-F67199AE2B4D.jpeg

42B3CFC5-DB6C-47D3-BB24-17903E3A6C2C.jpeg

7D98580A-F9BE-4ECA-8C6A-156E0CF0E220.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

Broke my damn python for water changes. Ordered a new one as well as some new scraper blades! Maintenance day tomorrow! 

• Like 2