Coral Vue Hydros

Too much love rock in my aquascape?

Asian Hurricane

Asian Hurricane

Hi all,

I am starting a brand new nano Reef in a fluval Evo 13.5. I have never done a salt water tank so this is a new experience and I could definitely use any and all help. I would like to ask all of your opinions on the aquascape I made. It is about 11-12 lbs of live rock. I am wondering if it is too much as a family member said it was a little busy. I was wondering if I should remove the brown portion on the tail end on the right and just leave the arch? Thanks for any and all advice! 

20191130_223651.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good to me. You want plenty of space to put things on, after all, and you need rock for your biofilter. 

You could remove the brown portion, but if I were you, I'd put about half of it back. It looks like it's one chunk, so maybe try and split that in half? You could put the remaining half behind where it is now, so that it's not terribly visible when viewed from this side but will still contribute to biofiltration capacity.

I think what you have pictured looks nice. Just make sure you can get your hand or whatever glass cleaning device in between the rock and glass to save frustration later from having to move rock all the time.

• Like 1
Asian Hurricane

Thanks everyone. The rock on the right actually has an arch as well that faces the side. I think I will keep it based on all of the opinions here! Thanks again!

• Like 2
On 12/1/2019 at 1:29 PM, ef4life said:

I think what you have pictured looks nice. Just make sure you can get your hand or whatever glass cleaning device in between the rock and glass to save frustration later from having to move rock all the time.

I agree.  I would keep around 1.5” of space between any glass and rock so that you can easily clean the glass with a magnetic scrubber, better water flow within the tank, and it’ll make it easier for snails to clean those areas.

I would keep all the rock, just rearrange if necessary to give you that extra margin of space which you’ll be thankful for later down the road when it’s all full with stuff.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It looks great to me! Rock is the most interesting part of the tank IMO. It gives your aquarium locations of interest like hides and perches for fish and coral to go. I have 12 lbs of live rock in my 5.5 gal. I was also worried it was too much at first, but it's not at all.

I think 11-12lbs of porous rock is the sweet spot on this tank. Yours doesn't look too busy, and as others said, you will want it for filtration. I started with just over 12lbs, and after a while, I split one rock in half (removing a bit over a pound), as I really couldn't do much with it.  

1 hour ago, Saltslinger said:

It looks great to me! Rock is the most interesting part of the tank IMO. It gives your aquarium locations of interest like hides and perches for fish and coral to go. I have 12 lbs of live rock in my 5.5 gal. I was also worried it was too much at first, but it's not at all.

I think aquascaping is very interesting, I love seeing the creativity.

Its unfortunate in a way that once corals grow, it disappears. Lol