SaltCritters.com

My son is getting a Petco card for Christmas :/ options?

waldoz

I didn't read all the comments,  so I apologize if this was already mentioned.  But, just a heads up, Petco matches Amazon prices up to I think 40% off I remember right.  It helps a lot when I buy something there here and there.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kdsd731 said:

I didn't read all the comments,  so I apologize if this was already mentioned.  But, just a heads up, Petco matches Amazon prices up to I think 40% off I remember right.  It helps a lot when I buy something there here and there.  

Well he got a free tank and light so..............no matching that price :lol:

@waldoz whats the plan for hanging the light ?

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds like things are progressing well in all but one area:  I haven't seen you mention what you've been reading.

In case you're going exclusively by online resources, I'd caution you to get at least one or two good books to anchor your online research.

Check out my book thread for reading suggestions:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list! 

....and keep in mind that many books can be had for as little as $5 used.....a great way to buy!

Either of Martin Moe's two main books would be a great starting point, just to give you something to start with.

This is one of he books he is reading.  But most of the books he gets a hold of are at least 10yrs old. At least the online stuff is updated most of the time.  :)  That book though has a good solid base, he seems to like it.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

You have almost no use for the most up to date info.....that only pertains to new equipment (read the manual, doesn't need to be in a book) and new techniques which are by and large useless (or worse) to a newbie.

You need exactly what you typically should get from a book (and the one you have is a good one, BTW.) and that's basic core knowledge on the stuff that never changes.

There's nothing wrong with coming away from a book with questions either-- if anything, that's part of the purpose of reading, and why most books contain references to point to to further reading on the topics it covers. 

The internet, in contrast, is a terrible primary resource for a newb:

• no table of contents
  • no index
  • no glossary
  • no references for anything
  • no publishing date on many things
  • bad info co-mingled with good info
  • bad info that looks GREAT because of how it's presented
  • good info that LOOKS BAD due to how it's presented
  • ...the works. 

If you're a newb at aquariums, it's literally just too much.

But if you've read a book or two the whole equation changes.  Now you have a starting point and a real idea of your milestones and what it will take to accomplish them.  Now you can tell some bad info on the internet from the good info.  Now you have lots of real questions to ask and the answers won't seem as confusing as often.  Etc.   I'm guessing you get the idea.  😃

It's still good to have a couple of books so you have some differing perspectives to compare.  Of course most books are going to offer something that all the other books don't have, so each has it's own value....but it's fine if there's a lot of duplicate material IMO.  Those are things you can be just a little extra sure of.

Martin Moe is the author of two of the most popular marine aquarium books ever, and either one would make a great supplement to the book you have....so IMO check them out.

There are tons of other good ones out there....if you need more suggestions check out the book thread I created here:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list!

• Like 2