Cultivated Reef

My son is getting a Petco card for Christmas :/ options?

waldoz

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Natalia has a reef bowl that's been going for several years now, and Brandon has a vase that's over a decade old at this point--not exactly the same as the jar, but similar. I did the "2-gallon" Anchor Hocking jar during the Creative Container contest and found it's closer to 3 gallons! It was very easy to set up and maintain but was taken down due to a dino infestation (RIP). I think the link to my "jarden" is in my sig.

Also, I started with picos, so it's definitely doable, and ended up keeping my 15 long/IM14 peninsula for only a year or two. Just don't have the energy to maintain a "big" tank like that and prefer my picos lol.

You know, the longer I'm in the saltwater hobby, the more I respect keeping our fragile systems alive and thriving.  With crappy lighting, your macro algae might die as well as a lot of corals.  Keep the system too clean and Dino's might appear and kill off your tank inhabitants.  Too much light and too little flow, you might get a bad case of cyanobacteria/red slime algae.  Don't dose enough calcium and alk, corals/invertebrates may die.  Overdose, it all may die.  Too much salinity, death.  Too little salinity, death.

The whole journey is an adventure for me, I have enough fun keeping it all going while doing no water changes and I don't think I'd want to do it again in a pico tank for now.  Fun thought though.  I think the next thing I'd want to try is a mated pair of Tailspot Blennies and a pair of Yellowhead Jawfish.  Wouldn't that be interesting to watch...

• Like 1

If you decide to take up RTF on his 20 long and stand, I will add the lighting. I will donate an AI Hydra 26, which will be more than enough light to support any coral he desires for this tank. Just say the word and it is yours 👍

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
25 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

You know, the longer I'm in the saltwater hobby, the more I respect keeping our fragile systems alive and thriving.  With crappy lighting, your macro algae might die as well as a lot of corals.  Keep the system too clean and Dino's might appear and kill off your tank inhabitants.  Too much light and too little flow, you might get a bad case of cyanobacteria/red slime algae.  Don't dose enough calcium and alk, corals/invertebrates may die.  Overdose, it all may die.  Too much salinity, death.  Too little salinity, death.

The whole journey is an adventure for me, I have enough fun keeping it all going while doing no water changes and I don't think I'd want to do it again in a pico tank for now.  Fun thought though.  I think the next thing I'd want to try is a mated pair of Tailspot Blennies and a pair of Yellowhead Jawfish.  Wouldn't that be interesting to watch...

Yeah that's the thing with picos--water changes are their lifeblood.  Brandon and Natalia both do 100% changes weekly or so on their little systems and that's part of what makes them so successful! Having a lid helps massively with salinity (I rarely had to top off the jar). It really is a matter of finding the best balance for your tank, all in all.

Long, long ago (when I was new), there's was a user named c est ma who had a 5.5 with a pair of green banded gobies (when people barely recommended one fish for a sub-10 gallon tank) and hers bred like clockwork, I think weekly! If you ever can find her thread, it's a fascinating read full of interesting and valuable information, although some methods have definitely changed in the intervening years. She called it her humble 5.5 or something like that. Your mention of a mated pair of fish reminded me of it. Her thread is what caused me to fall in love with GBG's and after many years of searching and waiting, I finally got one last year; he now lives in my little desktop pico, looking adorable.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I have a 20 long on a steel stand in my garage with a light stand. Ac50 and 100w heater. Ill give it to you! Im in keizer or. But work in tigard. Maybe we can met up

15749992028463406268270683681833.jpg

31 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

If you decide to take up RTF on his 20 long and stand, I will add the lighting. I will donate an AI Hydra 26, which will be more than enough light to support any coral he desires for this tank. Just say the word and it is yours 👍

Stuff like this is why I love the Nano-Reef community! :grouphug:

• Like 3
righttirefire
51 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

Youre so awesome. I already promised my light to tank for teachers. But never make north to give it to the pnwmas. 

Wow my son is freaking out right now, I don't even know what to say.   We were cleared for a 10 gallon at most, but just got approval for the 20!   You guys are great I have seen this kind of generosity  before but never thought we would be blessed enough to have it happen to us.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart and my sons as well.   I have been trying to find a way to bond with him and he has seems to taking a liking to it.  I can't say thank you enough.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, shaneandjohn said:

I can't thank you enough for the offer and we will take you up on it. 🙂   I can pm you if you would like.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, righttirefire said:

I have a 20 long on a steel stand in my garage with a light stand. Ac50 and 100w heater. Ill give it to you! Im in keizer or. But work in tigard. Maybe we can met up

15749992028463406268270683681833.jpg

That is awfully generous of you! I was hoping someone nearby might offer something up.  @waldoz you’ve got to pick this up, then he can spend the $100 on stuff to go in the tank. 

8 hours ago, righttirefire said:

Youre so awesome. I already promised my light to tank for teachers. But never make north to give it to the pnwmas. 

8 hours ago, waldoz said:

I can't thank you enough for the offer and we will take you up on it. 🙂   I can pm you if you would like.

I have been in this hobby for more than 20 years, and I have always had my son as my partner. John was raised in this hobby, and learned from fellow reefers many valuable life lessons! He got his first tank in his room when he was 8,  a 29 gallon Bio Cube, which he filled with Soft coral. He and I would attend Frag Swaps and meet ups together ,and every reefer who he met would always encourage him and his progress in the hobby. They would gift him frags and share their knowledge, and always remind him to pay it forward when he had the chance.
 This is the true meaning of the hobby!

I am excited for you and your son as you embark on this experience together, and I hope it can instill many positive lessons and memories. 
 I am available for the next 3 days, and I am willing to meet half way to get you the light, and a few other odds and ends to help get you and your son started in the hobby together! 

Shane

• Like 6
righttirefire

Im involved with family stuff all weekend. But i go back to work monday and will be able to meet up after that in the metro area. I can send you dimensions. But im planning to put it in my kia with the back seats laid down.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shaneandjohn said:

I am available for the next 3 days, and I am willing to meet half way to get you the light, and a few other odds and ends to help get you and your son started in the hobby together! 

Shane

I pm ed you with my # 🙂

1 hour ago, righttirefire said:

Im involved with family stuff all weekend. But i go back to work monday and will be able to meet up after that in the metro area. I can send you dimensions. But im planning to put it in my kia with the back seats laid down.

Same boat.  Honda Civic and we can work something out time wise. I will pm you and work out the details.

Thank you!

Good to see my old tank is going to get wet again............omgomgomg if need be I may be able to grab it from RTF as I live in Vancouver...........once the tank is going am sure I have some zoas or other softies I could donate to the cause..........

If going with sand get onto amazon just picked up 20lbs of fiji pink live for 17 and change delivered with tax...........not going to find it cheaper anywhere............Also if you need water or anything check out the Reefbox...........Brian is a good guy and just opened it up in Orchards...........

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Good to see my old tank is going to get wet again............omgomgomg if need be I may be able to grab it from RTF as I live in Vancouver...........once the tank is going am sure I have some zoas or other softies I could donate to the cause..........

If going with sand get onto amazon just picked up 20lbs of fiji pink live for 17 and change delivered with tax...........not going to find it cheaper anywhere............Also if you need water or anything check out the Reefbox...........Brian is a good guy and just opened it up in Orchards...........

What ever works for RTF, If it is easier for him by all means. 🙂  Thank you for the offer on the zoas!

• Like 1
On 11/29/2019 at 6:05 AM, shaneandjohn said:

I have been in this hobby for more than 20 years, and I have always had my son as my partner. John was raised in this hobby, and learned from fellow reefers many valuable life lessons! He got his first tank in his room when he was 8,  a 29 gallon Bio Cube, which he filled with Soft coral. He and I would attend Frag Swaps and meet ups together ,and every reefer who he met would always encourage him and his progress in the hobby. They would gift him frags and share their knowledge, and always remind him to pay it forward when he had the chance.
 This is the true meaning of the hobby!

I am excited for you and your son as you embark on this experience together, and I hope it can instill many positive lessons and memories. 

Shane

Met up with Shane today and picked up the light and he is a great guy and thank you again! Once we get the tank, we will try and do a build thread for you guys to follow along. 🙂

• Like 8
On 11/29/2019 at 10:11 AM, Sancho said:

I’ll toss in an AI prime, I’m upgrading to another HD 

If you decide to sell it I might be interested in one. Might even be able to do local pickup if you are in Seattle. Looking to set one up In a coral qt tank. 

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Wow, you guys/gals are all so very thoughtful and generous! 

Way to pay it forward😁

I have been in this hobby for 20 plus years or more..............thats how it works to me...............love to see new people come into the hobby...........

• Like 3
1 hour ago, spectra said:

I have been in this hobby for 20 plus years or more..............thats how it works to me...............love to see new people come into the hobby...........

We are pretty excited. Picking up tank and stand tomorrow from RTF 🤪.  Hope to get it wet by first of the year.  

• Like 4

Thanks again RTF for meeting up it was nice to meet you! When we start the build I will post a link here so anyone who wants to follow along can. 👍

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, waldoz said:

Thanks again RTF for meeting up it was nice to meet you! When we start the build I will post a link here so anyone who wants to follow along can. 👍

Whoa you made it out alive.............. :lol:

• Haha 1