Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sharbuckles NEW 40 - Cracked Sump :(

Sharbuckle

Don't feel comfortable gluing it? The weld stuff for acrylic literally melts it together and I believe the bond is very strong. You use a tiny needle to inject the stuff into the crack.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Don't feel comfortable gluing it? The weld stuff for acrylic literally melts it together and I believe the bond is very strong. You use a tiny needle to inject the stuff into the crack.

Maybe I’ll give that a try and run a water test for a few weeks but I’ve had tank floods before so I’m not super confident. 

46 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Maybe I’ll give that a try and run a water test for a few weeks but I’ve had tank floods before so I’m not super confident. 

It's at the top and braced right? Filling the crack with weld and adding a small piece of acrylic welded over the crack would certainly increase strength.

I would never do this with glass though.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I think there's a very good chance you can repair it by welding some acrylic plate to each side of the crack. Even just the interior side would do. The process actually makes a chemical bond between each side, it's not just glue, so it's structurally very strong. Weld-On #40 is the stuff traditionally used, if you want to look into it. You should be able to source acrylic locally from a plastics shop, or potentially a glass shop. They might even have some scrap for you to use.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I've got a massive crack in my glass sump that is about 6" long and goes into a corner. It's been fine for the last 5 years. With acrylic you've got nothing to worry about!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

I've got a massive crack in my glass sump that is about 6" long and goes into a corner. It's been fine for the last 5 years. With acrylic you've got nothing to worry about!

Oh God never never!

I agree though I think the sump is totally safe to use with a patch job. 

• Like 1

The sump is patched.

My friend stop drilled the crack at the very tip with a 1/16” drill bit.

After that He applied two 2x6 pieces of clear acrylic. One on each side.

Unfortunately the needle applicator He was given was leaky and caused some really ugly looking marks.

oh well! It’s patched up and that’s what matters.

Once I get it back it’s time to get this thing going!!

D1C6EF89-D74F-4623-9DEA-CA40D6BEB756.jpeg

3D4E5FE3-DA2C-445D-964D-7C17C5CD583B.jpeg

69BFDB08-46BE-4DB8-B188-4DAF5409A2E4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This may go down in history as being the slowest build ever.

i just realized installed the overflow on the wrong damn side. It’s going to bug me so much having extra footage of plumbing....

gotta get a new tank... stupid OCD

• Wow 2