Top Shelf Aquatics

A Crazy College Reef- $200 Stocking ideas?

CD_Scapes

Oh, that does look a bit more like bryopsis in this pic. PM me- I have some of that antifungal med that you're supposed to use to kill bryopsis off. If that stuff is bryopsis (let it grow out a bit more to be sure), and plucking it out doesn't do the job, I can send you the med so you can get rid of it. 

The anemone does look like a curleque. Aggressive stingers that can threaten small animals, but they don't spread like aiptasia. Do you have a chisel? You could separate it out from whatever it's growing on, put it on the sand to let it grow out a bit more (away from your corals), and then see if you can sell it to someone or trade it for some interesting livestock.

• Like 1

December 16th, 2019:

One of my friends who used to work at the LFS  gave me an offer I could not pass up, there for the days of the 5 gallon are less than expected (for a very good reason). 

December 19th, 2019:

Well, I got a few happy things this week! First off, Russ from Gulf Coast asked if I wanted to replace algae and I said sure. I thought he was talking about my gracilaria parvispora, he sent it Monday and it got here Wednesday. I did see an email and it said that he accidentally sent me someone elses replacement and that I can just keep the algae. A very nice and semi-confusing package, but it was a red sampler as well as a halimeda sampler. The algea looks great despite sitting in 17 degree weather for at least hours. Very happy and Russ handled it very well. In other news I got my Biocube and that will need lots of work, it might stay at home for all of spring semester as it takes up a lot of car space.  I think I'm going to keep the 5 gallon around, possibly as a live food "refugium" or an algea grow tank

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Bailyfox said:

The algae looks great, I love the wild look of it.

Thanks, I moved a few things around and took out the old hayi that had bryopsis. Also went to my local PetCo which is WAYYYY better than my LFS and picked up a new addition. Still think I'll re-arrange the algae a bit more, but it works for now. Might have to go back and pick up more of the one I got today....see if you can spot it

IMG_9902.thumb.jpg.47c4f088ba0917b7ed7c5836f1e9c6c8.jpg

• Like 3

January 7th, 2019:

Yes this tank still does exist, I just was focusing on the Biocube and prepping that for college that I didn't do much with the 5 gallon. I did forget about top offs for a week and the gorgs, zoas and palys are either pissed off or dead (gorg is for sure dead). I picked up a clown goby near the end of December and it was dead by january 2nd, it refused to eat. Thought about not having a fish but then I saw this Talbot damsel that has been in the LFS sump and asked about buying it. Owner was  confused why I wanted it but let me get it. I love this fish, he has his little cave and eats like a pig. I also picked up a odd looking red leg hermit and it turns out to be a Band eye hermit (thanks @johnmaloney). Decided to go with some kenya tree and a chunk of GSP too for more coral options, then next will be pulsing xenia and then I think thats all the coral for the tank.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpg.34c1dea11deecd9120ed3ed718aba24d.jpg

IMG_0524.thumb.jpg.f3a5909d55b3b599942b6827bc809c8d.jpg

This fish is hard to take pics, he will turn for the camera and then 1/2 second later he will turn the camera and taunt me 

IMG_0532.thumb.jpg.5c71c3220d2934ac83bab068ef393f4f.jpgIMG_0534.thumb.jpg.5a1547a63bf8ebc1e3fc10d562269826.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, Northwoodsreefer said:

Does anyone have any experience with Hetereosiphona gibessii? I’m thinking about getting some for the tank to keep with the red theme

Easy to keep

• Like 3

Damsels have wonderful personalities, glad you found yourself a sassy one XD

One thing I will mention, pertaining specifically to Talbots, it's likely that, as it ages, it will loose all of its' attractive pinks and yellows in favor of a dull grey-white and brown coloration.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Damsels have wonderful personalities, glad you found yourself a sassy one XD

One thing I will warn pertaining specifically to Talbots, it's likely that, as it ages, it will loose all of its' attractive pinks and yellows in favor of a dull grey-white and brown coloration.

I've noticed that they do that as well, and he will out grow the tank so I will need to re-home it eventaully too

• Like 2

January 15th, 2019:

I have good news and bad news; I think I will start with the bad news first

I had to get rid of the 5 gallon reef tank due to funds and general space available when I was moving back into the dorm for spring semester, that does mean this tank is no more. I will certainly miss this tank but I also feel like it was better as the tank was kind of neglected (no water changes). The Talbot damsel went back to the fish store as well, I wish I could have kept him but he wont fit in my stocking plans for the new tank anyways.

The good news is that my roommate loves the new tank and I got the areas around the bio cube all decorated/looking nice. I did keep all of the macro algae as well as the feather dusters. Here is a pic of the current "5 gallon"

IMG_0803.jpg

• Like 1