Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Crazy College Reef- $200 Stocking ideas?

CD_Scapes

1 minute ago, Tired said:

It won't be the main inhabitant, it will be the ONLY inhabitant. If what you want is one anemone, a shrimp, some macros, and maybe snails, shoot. But you won't be able to keep any other animals, including corals, because the anemone will sting them to death. And you should very much not put palythoas where an anemone can sting them, since part of their response is going to involve a great deal of toxin. Something of a chance of nuking your tank in there.

Yeah, it will pretty much be macros, anemone shrimp, and cuc

December 8th, 2019:

I had a weird thing happen with the tank, I haven't really been in my dorm for the past few days. This was actually a good thing as a came back to less brown on my rocks...I don't know how this happened. Possibly it was not dinos? maybe it was diatoms. I added a picture below to what the tank looked like on Friday and then what it looked like today. I have also been thinking more about livestock and maybe giving myself the challenge of only spending $200 on livestock...we'll see. Below is some pictures and the before/after shot.

3F16C73B-9480-40AD-AD03-AA957FDFD53F.thumb.JPG.a863a60e3f01ca82d0b30fa7416eb978.JPG

Here is some close up shots of my zoas, palys and parazoanthus

IMG_9748.thumb.jpg.1ee3fe17f81ec6a766050c522fb7fdfa.jpg

IMG_9747.thumb.jpg.07036b9eb1eb18e399fb03c069951d0b.jpg

IMG_9750.thumb.jpg.64663b0787d3c6973bce6663b145c690.jpg

Lastly, why not a macro macroalgae picture

IMG_9751.thumb.jpg.2a562acfa6e36f1b8713684b7ada8c45.jpg

• Like 4
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to A Crazy College Reef *It was Diatomsl!*

December 9th, 2019:

GUYS!!!! It was Diatoms!!! I came back from my math class and I turned on the light to find this!

IMG_9754.thumb.jpg.ec5f8d6341f037e1ae5d4e299e651b5d.jpg

Now, yes I know its cloudy but I also noticed around 1,000 pods on the glass and rocks. There are some detritus clumps so the plan is a 2-3 gallon water change to get a majority of the detritus out and then ill shake off the gracilaria and filter media in old tank water too. This will really help with stocking plans too. Later tonight I'll post my potential stocking plans for my under $200 stocking challenge. One last thing, this year for Christmas I'm asking for a smart micro ATO and a $25 KP aquatics card. These would allow me to have $60 in livestock for KP and just pay shipping and then maybe even be able to leave the tank for longer periods with the ATO. The real question comes in either a caribbean clingfish or a pair of rusty gobies...time will tell

• Like 1

Diatoms don't usually come and go like that, however Dino's do, they also go into the water column and can make your water appear cloudy.

I hope it was just a weird variety of diatom, but not all Dino's are bad and some outbreaks are just a part of a tank's cycle and/or uglies to begin with.

Glad things are lookin' good!

15 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Diatoms don't usually come and go like that, however Dino's do, they also go into the water column and can make your water appear cloudy.

I hope it was just a weird variety of diatom, but not all Dino's are bad and some outbreaks are just a part of a tank's cycle and/or uglies to begin with.

Glad things are lookin' good!

Wait...So they just go? I should still do a water change right?

1 hour ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Wait...So they just go? I should still do a water change right?

Depends, I can't really tell you for certain, quite a few people's dino's literally vanish entirely into the water-column at night. Diatoms are predominantly hard-calcified algae and don't usually show up and then vanish, though some varieties can do something similar. I would test your phosphate and nitrate, if you have detectable-levels then a water-change should be fine, just don't bottom them out. If the water is murky with an off-white cast it may be a bacterial-bloom, in which case a water change would probably be a good idea.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Depends, I can't really tell you for certain, quite a few people's dino's literally vanish entirely into the water-column at night. Diatoms are predominantly hard-calcified algae and don't usually show up and then vanish, though some varieties can do something similar. I would test your phosphate and nitrate, if you have detectable-levels then a water-change should be fine, just don't bottom them out. If the water is murky with an off-white cast it may be a bacterial-bloom, in which case a water change would probably be a good idea.

The water is definitely milky white, just got 3 gallons of RO to do a larger water change 

• CD_Scapes changed the title to A Crazy College Reef- $200 Stocking ideas?

December 10th, 2019:

Life's been a bit rough, my dorm floor is toxic and my roommate Isn't great...I'm wanting to move and I might so the tank might move 2 times in the next week and a half. Anyways, I might make some water and do the water change or I'll wait till after I move (if I do). Here is my ideal stocking plan with vendors:

Orders for 5 gallon:

ReefCleaners

- Dwarf planaxis $4.00

- Dwarf cerith $0.85

- Florida cerith $0.60

- Virgin nerites $3.00

- Cross barred venus clam $0.80

- Nassarius vibex $0.50

- Trochus snail $3.50

- Carpeting halimeda $6.00

- Empty shells $0.80

Total: $32.55 w/shipping ($12.50)

KP Aquatics

- Mangrove seedling $7.50

- White claw hermit $4.00

- Nano cinnamon palythoa $7.00

- Nano yellow-eyed zoa $11.00

- Nano green speckled zoa $11.00

Total: $58 w/shipping ($17.50) 

Gulf Coast Ecosystems

- Wild zoas $30.00

Total: $45.50 w/shipping ($12.50)

Salt Critters

- Zoa frag A182 $9.99

A182.jpg.4e754f5e5c811458f30850878d90301b.jpg

- Zoa frag B87 $9.99

B87.jpg.848b7ee3312cd63d61933929a4a26148.jpg

Total:$44.98 w/shipping ($25.00)

Livestock grand total: $180.53

Remaining Budget: $19.47

You'll notice, no fish or shrimps in the livestock. Mainly calciferous macro, zoas, snails and a few crabs. I feel like as @billygoat has said, I need hardy, bulletproof, livestock to handle the moves/transitions of moving my tank. I feel like I have chosen those, I might go a bit over to add some porcelain crabs but what is on the list is nearly all that will go into this tank.

• Like 3

Nice plan. All that livestock seems pretty good to me, with the possible exception of the mangrove. Mangroves are hardy but are vulnerable to disruptions to their root system, which is bound to happen once yours starts to grow. Also, just having a tree sticking out of the top of your tank strikes me as something that would make moving the system considerably more difficult. 😅

• Like 1
3 hours ago, billygoat said:

Nice plan. All that livestock seems pretty good to me, with the possible exception of the mangrove. Mangroves are hardy but are vulnerable to disruptions to their root system, which is bound to happen once yours starts to grow. Also, just having a tree sticking out of the top of your tank strikes me as something that would make moving the system considerably more difficult. 😅

True, I was thinking about that more last night...it could give me more budget money for stuff from florida pets😄. I was thinking of getting Rics, but some people say they melt fast or are fussy while others say they are bullet proof...what's your opinion on them?

• Like 1

If you want an exact frag from SaltCritters, order fast, everything is WYSIWYG. They have a lot of those two zoas that you've pictured, though, so getting that variety (but not that exact set of frags) would be easy.

Stock list looks good aside from the mangrove. Rics are generally considered to be easy beginner corals, those who have problems with them likely either have low nutrients or badly shipped corals.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you want an exact frag from SaltCritters, order fast, everything is WYSIWYG. They have a lot of those two zoas that you've pictured, though, so getting that variety (but not that exact set of frags) would be easy.

I figured thats what it was, they will be the first place I order from after christmas (If i get giftcards). The exact frag isnt important, I just liked those two varieties and I did see the have many of them

23 minutes ago, Tired said:

Stock list looks good aside from the mangrove. Rics are generally considered to be easy beginner corals, those who have problems with them likely either have low nutrients or badly shipped corals.

I think that's a bit misleading, some systems just aren't right for mushrooms and ricordea can melt-away surprisingly-quickly if there's something wrong. 
People tend to assume they're the same as discosoma or other, hardier mushrooms because of their appearance, but that's unfortunately not the case. 
They require higher-light and are much more specific about how much and what type of flow they receive, some colonies also have a habit of taking a VERY long time to adjust to a new-system. They're not as particular or finicky as SPS and they're still not super-hard to keep, but they're not always something you can just drop into your tank and keep successfully. 
Plenty of successful-reefers and tanks end up with systems where they simply never-thrive or routinely-detach and vanish.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I think that's a bit misleading, some systems just aren't right for mushrooms and ricordea can melt-away surprisingly-quickly if there's something wrong. 
People tend to assume they're the same as discosoma or other, hardier mushrooms because of their appearance, but that's unfortunately not the case. 
They require higher-light and are much more specific about how much and what type of flow they receive, some colonies also have a habit of taking a VERY long time to adjust to a new-system. They're not as particular or finicky as SPS and they're still not super-hard to keep, but they're not always something you can just drop into your tank and keep successfully. 
Plenty of successful-reefers and tanks end up with systems where they simply never-thrive or routinely-detach and vanish.

Well, I dont think I will risk spending my "challange" money on something that could a hit or miss in tanks. I think I will stick with zoas, crabs, snails and macroalgae. I did have the idea of a rusty goby pair down the road...I have WAAAAY too many copepods. I kid you not when I say that its hard to get a good view inside the tank because pods are COATING the glass, literally thousands on the glass

You could grab one you like and see if you can find a spot where they work out well, they aren't "hard" to keep, just not as guaranteed as some make them sound.

It's better to add things slowly and see what types of animals, and in what flow/lighting, do and do-not work out well in the tank anyway. 😃

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

You could grab one you like and see if you can find a spot where they work out well, they aren't "hard" to keep, just not as guaranteed as some make them sound.

It's better to add things slowly and see what types of animals, and in what flow/lighting, do and do-not work out well in the tank anyway. 😃

Very true, Ive noticed the front area and top of the rock will be good for zoas. The top more so for wild zoas as they are used to intense light and they will get intense light for sure. The front left is a bit turbid from the pump flow so the gorgs and toadstool algae will go there. The entrance to the cave is fairly slack water so maybe thats were (If i got them) the rics could do. I'm perfectly find with just having a mainly zoa tank as the new project might include more tanks :bling:

• Wow 1

Sorry about the roomies and dorm floor. 

Find yourself a single bud and get an apartment. You'll have WAY more fun in college with your own place. 

I know I did 🙈 plus I could have whatever size tank I wanted! 

23 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Sorry about the roomies and dorm floor. 

Find yourself a single bud and get an apartment. You'll have WAY more fun in college with your own place. 

I know I did 🙈 plus I could have whatever size tank I wanted! 

The plan next year is actually to hopefully be an upperclassmen RA and if not then I'll just get a single dorm to myself....So maybe a bigger tank or I'll keep the ones I have now. I really like the smaller size cause you can get some really cool inverts or even fish that would be lost in larger systems. I also think I'm staying where I am, I have 4 months left and I'll be gone for a week...I will be okay

• Like 1

December 11th, 2019:

I had 2 finals today, I passed one with an 86% and the other one I feel I didn't do too well on. Besides that I made a "plan" to focus on consistency and I made a schedule, my other goal is cord management with cord labels too. Not much new with the tank, waiting for the new SW to mix and then I'll do a WC tomorrow and move my Grube's off the glass....its growing on the glass.

Sun

Mon

Tues

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

20% water change

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose Phyto and chaetogrow

Dose trace elements

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose Polyp-booster 30 seconds before feeding 

---------------

Feed Reef Roids

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids/Frozen

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

20% water change & Clean media in old water

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids/Frozen

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

20% water change

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose trace elements

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids/Frozen

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

20% water change & Clean media in old water

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids/Frozen

Scrape glass

-------------

Dose 

20% water change & blast rock/sand

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

Scrape glass

-------------

---------------

Feed Reef Roids

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

December 12th, 2019:

The water change got some of the detritus out, but I'll need to get more out next week or so. 2 more finals and then the tank is being moved back home for around a month! Got my future project all cleaned out and ready for the next stage...I'll give one hint (oyster shells)

• Like 1

December 16th, 2019:

This tank is just having alot of bad luck with "pests" in the tank, so far I have had; dinoflagellates, bryopsis, bristle/fireworms, hydroids, flatworms, aiptasia, and green algae (not bad)...SO this tank is just cruising along...I think. I'm moving the tank for the first time on Wednesday morning, I hope it goes well and I will update after I move the tank home.

Apitasia/Curly cue

IMG_9819.thumb.jpg.148c7d1cd4566fac11ef501d70ffc0f7.jpg

Bryopsis

IMG_9847.thumb.jpg.f66fb02f15511a2b9618cbded5c10eee.jpg

Hydroids

IMG_9851.thumb.jpg.62c9ccaa7772c9eaa01e0ea644077405.jpg

Bristleworms and fireworms aren't the same thing. Bristleworms are common, harmless/beneficial detritivores, while fireworms are rare and potentially destructive. 

I think bryopsis looks more feathery than that. It's some sort of turf algae, but I'm not sure it's bryopsis. 

Hydroids are often not a serious issue. Many corals simply grow right over them.

Can you get a better pic of the anemone? It looks rather like a curlique, which is relatively harmless (doesn't multiply like aiptasia does, though it can potentially get big and will definitely sting nearby corals) and may actually be desirable. Someone might buy that off ya if it is a curlique. 

• Like 3