Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Evo 5 Owners Thread

falcooo

11 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

Idk but your rock scape is oddly interesting. It's just a pile of rocks but it feels like one of them weird abstract paintings you look at in museum, trying to understand what it means but cant look away. 

LOL... From a fish's point of view, it looks like a long mountain rather than a tall one. 

Many little crevices for tiny creatures to explore. I like to look at it as a big rock formation that fell apart after an earthquake. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update. 

Things are moving along great. Params are where they should be (ammonia nitrite and nitrate) rocks seem to be curing nicely. Some green algae and a faint amount of Coraline, feather duster still around. Thinking of adding pods. Clown, ysg and 3 hermit crabs doing great. Want to add a pistol shrimp and a couple of corals. All in due time. And when that happens.... Probably will get switched to a bigger tanks. Maybe a 20G.

IMG_20211016_101528.jpg

IMG_20211010_123753.jpg

IMG_20211004_164741.jpg

IMG_20211016_104519.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 1st reef said:

Small update. 

Things are moving along great. Params are where they should be (ammonia nitrite and nitrate) rocks seem to be curing nicely. Some green algae and a faint amount of Coraline, feather duster still around. Thinking of adding pods. Clown, ysg and 3 hermit crabs doing great. Want to add a pistol shrimp and a couple of corals. All in due time. And when that happens.... Probably will get switched to a bigger tanks. Maybe a 20G.

IMG_20211016_101528.jpg

IMG_20211010_123753.jpg

IMG_20211004_164741.jpg

IMG_20211016_104519.jpg

Tanks looking good but I miss your rubble pile. Already thinking about an upgrade lol.

Also I made a tank journal if anyone wants to check it out. Hope everyone else's tanks are doing good.

• Like 1

Yeah about the rubble... I want to add corals so I was worried that one would spread across the whole thing so I decided I'd make 2 "islands" since I don't want to be moving rocks around all the time. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, xreaper93 said:

20211207_181606.jpg.2f975ca8b3e35bae820e617e3ad058b4.jpg

I just redid my aquascape, what do you think about it?

I like that you utilized black wall of the filter and kept space all around taking advantage of the peninsula style of this tank having 3 viewing sides I sadly only have 2 sides for viewing

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings All!

Despite my request she not encourage me to go down this path again, my wife put a EVO V under the Christmas tree for me.

Fluval Evo 5

- 11000k light

MARCO Rock

Carib Sea Sand – not live

EHEIM 25W heater

TOPFIN 20W fixed temp

- Under media basket

Removed sponge

- DIY media basket

- White/Blue filter pads

- Bio Balls

RO/DI water

- 0ppm TDS

Instant Ocean generic salt

InkBird controller, heat/cool, non-wifi model for $26 from Lord Bezos is on the way.

3 days into cycling ... gotta be patient.

A couple questions for this forum. The single 20W at the bottom of the media basket won't hold 78 degrees. Are there any other non-display options?

I live in Northern VA and fish stores are few and poor. Anyone know of any hidden gems?

Shout out to Bulk Reef Supply. I ordered 6 lbs of MARCO rock. I looked at the shipping info and the package weight was listed as 3.8 lbs. I sent an email, and they responded the same day with an apology and another shipment of 7.3 lbs! Both boxes arrived the same day and totaled five solid pieces with no rubble. Guess I'll need a bigger tank!

IMG_3649.jpg

• Like 2

Had to upgrade the heater. The 20W TopFin wasn't cutting it and wanted the heater out of the display. Aqueon 50W Compact, Preset to 78 fits under the media basket, but sticks a bit into the pump area. I cut about an inch off the pump return hose and set the pump on top of the very end of the heater. Tank up to temp and no apparent impact to the pump volume. Inkbird controller on the way and also an upgraded pump.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shredder56 said:

Had to upgrade the heater. The 20W TopFin wasn't cutting it and wanted the heater out of the display. Aqueon 50W Compact, Preset to 78 fits under the media basket, but sticks a bit into the pump area. I cut about an inch off the pump return hose and set the pump on top of the very end of the heater. Tank up to temp and no apparent impact to the pump volume. Inkbird controller on the way and also an upgraded pump.

Welcome to Nano-Reef and the Evo 5 club! This is mine, I love it - it has been a very low maintenance setup and I have it in my home office so I can enjoy it while I work.

I use the stock light and pump, an intank media rack, the intank plug for the little hole and an intank surface skimmer which gets the water levels to do the right thing in the back chambers (makes it so it’s not to high above the filter floss and lowest in the second chamber). I use an Aqueon Pro 50 Watt heater, a Smart Micro ATO, and a Hygger Mini wavemaker (which is pretty high flow even on the lowest setting but my corals love it). 

6C6C6CE7-56BA-4C2E-9452-3C122F47CEE9.thumb.jpeg.76c9aae2c11791eee27d94fb646b7367.jpeg

93F0056A-BAD4-46EA-B62A-9C924A5DA9B6.thumb.jpeg.54398c530464294260ee7665177a1aff.jpeg

49C28C60-95D1-475B-BBE8-3AAC30365DBC.thumb.jpeg.041023ce148f18683c0628679d7f0ecf.jpeg

71F5E6CE-62C6-46A2-B37A-E26A1FD28ACD.thumb.jpeg.043e52d9ae67210fea876e6a5bd81252.jpeg

F1E755B8-E94E-4D3D-91B8-DB8A84352A5A.thumb.jpeg.b17154ccbff278030533b7de10da5d52.jpeg

CC38AFC8-B6AA-4709-A386-4CD6663F570F.thumb.jpeg.337ab65e4c891fd33b708f5d67dea53b.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks awsome! Acclimating my first coral as we speak. Just a couple of mushrooms and two duncan polyps. Got them from a local reefer. Had to beg for some cheato. Can't get it here but it looks good with large and small pods.

• Like 1

tank.thumb.jpg.bcf17ef535a1b097a8d4d2a191352aa6.jpg

#Fluval Spec V, Trying a fishless cycle with corals, My brother in law was taking down a tank and gave me some corals from his  tank, Started cycle on 12/12/21 corals added 12/27/21. Upgrades include modified ViaAqua 158GPH pump, InTank media basket, Marine Pure Gems, Stock Ceramic Media,  Filter Floss, VCA Random Flow Generator, Hygger Wavemaker on lowest settings, 4lbs Real Reef Rock,~7lbs  Carib sea Agra-alive Bahama Oolite, 50W YukiHalu mini heater in sump, Luxcare 25W 18-24" LED light on Twinstar ramp timer, modified lid with mesh net, gravity feed auto top off.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Wogman said:

tank.thumb.jpg.bcf17ef535a1b097a8d4d2a191352aa6.jpg

#Fluval Spec V, Trying a fishless cycle with corals, My brother in law was taking down a tank and gave me some corals from his  tank, Started cycle on 12/12/21 corals added 12/27/21. Upgrades include modified ViaAqua 158GPH pump, InTank media basket, Marine Pure Gems, Stock Ceramic Media,  Filter Floss, VCA Random Flow Generator, Hygger Wavemaker on lowest settings, 4lbs Real Reef Rock,~7lbs  Carib sea Agra-alive Bahama Oolite, 50W YukiHalu mini heater in sump, Luxcare 25W 18-24" LED light on Twinstar ramp timer, modified lid with mesh net, gravity feed auto top off.

Welcome! Looks likes a great start, how are you cycling? Did you add beneficial bacteria and are you adding some kind of an ammonia source? 

5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Welcome! Looks likes a great start, how are you cycling? Did you add beneficial bacteria and are you adding some kind of an ammonia source? 

I added Dr Tim's bacteria and I've been ghost feeding the tank.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Wogman said:

I added Dr Tim's bacteria and I've been ghost feeding the tank.

Great! Sounds like you’re off to a good start. 

1 hour ago, Wogman said:

Thanks, your tank looks great.

Thanks, it’s in my kitchen at the moment, along with my kiddo’s freshwater tank and lizard tanks because we just had our cottage cheese ceilings removed this week. Definitely appreciated the benefit of it being so small so it could easily be moved. It seems to have fared pretty well so far despite some issues with temperature regulation while the work was being done. 

D5FCFB60-6D49-49AA-8C67-F6BEF6BEF9EB.thumb.jpeg.83e4fe4c29724df5006526a5d8d43ea5.jpeg

I upgraded my pump to ViaAqua VA-302 Submersible Economy Water Pump -160GPH

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2L7C8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a real tight fit. Took the back cover off of the pump (where the power cord exits). Seems to fit better with the cord in the back of the tank rather than facing the water side. I think I'll take it back out and rig up something so I can pull it straight up and out. I'm concerned that it will get wedged in there if I pull by the cord and not straight up.

First weekly 4 gal water changed this morning. Everybody seems happy. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, shredder56 said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2L7C8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a real tight fit. Took the back cover off of the pump (where the power cord exits). Seems to fit better with the cord in the back of the tank rather than facing the water side. I think I'll take it back out and rig up something so I can pull it straight up and out. I'm concerned that it will get wedged in there if I pull by the cord and not straight up.

Thanks for the info about the pump. Are you doing basically 100% water changes? 

• Like 1

Murphych, welcome to the club. Not a very active thread. I guess that means everyone is happy and have no issues.

Banasophia, It's only the first water change, but yes, the plan is for weekly large, 80% or so water changes. I figure it is easier than dosing. I have a very small load now (patience, patience), but want to get in the habit. I like the pump. It is quiet makes some wave action. I also cut a small piece of acrylic and super glued it to the slot between the display and filter chamber. Also cut another piece and use that to regulate the overflow to maintain tank level. Using stuff I have lying around.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, shredder56 said:

I am running the same pump for a couple a weeks now shredder56, I took the back cover off and notched the plastic a little above where the power cord goes in so I could bend the cord straight up, I then put a little silicone over it and let it dry. I seen a photo somewhere where someone drilled a couple holes on either side of the back and put a zip tie through it to keep the cord pointed straight up. I didn't think this was needed so I didn't do it. It certainly a tight fit back there.