Fluval Evo 5 Owners Thread

falcooo

Pinballguy

Ok good intel. I am going to try to run the stock lights for now - we shall see how it does. I'm going to go extremely slowly with this set-up. Might do corals for a while before I introduce any fish. Am thinking only a small goby or blenny, and then one damselfish.

I'm also debating live rock vs. dry. I did live rock when I had a RedSea Max a number of years ago, but I had so many hitchhikers. I'm thinking going with dry rock and using a baceteria supplement to cycle.

Instant_taco
On 4/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, Pinballguy said:

Ok good intel. I am going to try to run the stock lights for now - we shall see how it does. I'm going to go extremely slowly with this set-up. Might do corals for a while before I introduce any fish. Am thinking only a small goby or blenny, and then one damselfish.

I'm also debating live rock vs. dry. I did live rock when I had a RedSea Max a number of years ago, but I had so many hitchhikers. I'm thinking going with dry rock and using a baceteria supplement to cycle.

hey there, i would recommend going dry rock for now. get some cultured bacteria(i like instant ocean biospira) the main thing you need to figure out with these tanks is maintaining proper temp, since they are so small, temp swings can happen fast. once you can get the temps in check and the tank is cycled you can get some live stock. i have a recent build thread if you wanna get ideas. its a fun little pico. happy reefing 🙂

shredder56

I upgraded my pump to ViaAqua VA-302 Submersible Economy Water Pump -160GPH

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2L7C8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a real tight fit. Took the back cover off of the pump (where the power cord exits). Seems to fit better with the cord in the back of the tank rather than facing the water side. Also nipped the plastic around the cord and also ran the power cord down and out through the media chamber. I was worried about getting it out of the chamber by pulling only on the cord and the pump getting wedged. I wrapped a long wire-tie around it. I can grab the end and pull it right out. As for the light, I have mine on a time so it's all or nothing 8 hours per day.

• 2 weeks later...
xreaper93

Hi evo 5 owners. Just picked up an ai prime HD (not 16) and was wondering what you all run for light schedules.

Pinballguy
On 4/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, xreaper93 said:

Hi evo 5 owners. Just picked up an ai prime HD (not 16) and was wondering what you all run for light schedules.

Following.

Pinballguy

Sweet! I've upgrade to the Current USA Orbit Marine lighting and they are beautiful compared to the stock lighting. I need to start a tank thread and probably will as soon as I get all my equipment and start cycling. I added a great ATO system, upgraded the lighting, added a nice compact heater to the sump, added an InTank media basket, and am getting a Tunze nano wave-jet/powerhead tomorrow via Amazon. I also just got my digital thermometer yesterday. I'm going with the Marco Dry Rock and regular Aragonite and will use a bacteria product to get my cycle going/done. That should begin fairly soon now. 

• 3 weeks later...
FarrahxX

I don’t know if I’m posting right in here. I have looked everywhere and I was pointed here. How does the filter work on this all in one. I have the sponge with the carbon and the media but I’m so confused. This is my very first tank and it was sold to me very cheap with zero instructions. Please help 😅

xreaper93
On 5/20/2022 at 8:37 PM, FarrahxX said:

I don’t know if I’m posting right in here. I have looked everywhere and I was pointed here. How does the filter work on this all in one. I have the sponge with the carbon and the media but I’m so confused. This is my very first tank and it was sold to me very cheap with zero instructions. Please help 😅

So the stock evo filtration has 3 parts. First is the sponge filter which is the mechanical filtration, the bag of carbon is chemical filtration to take out anything impurities in the water and then you have the ceramic media which is for biological filtration allowing beneficial bacteria to grow. Many opt to switch to baskets because the sponge filter tends to just be a place for waste to decay and cause nutrient. I personally use the intank media basket with filter floss, carbon, and the biological media from the stock setup. 

• 2 weeks later...
shredder56

If you are cheap like me, DIY it. A couple small acrylic sheets from a big box store and some acrylic glue. Measure twice, cut once, make it square.

• 2 weeks later...
Pinballguy

HI everyone, a question about my tank cycle. I am about a month into my cycle. I'm using dry Marco Rock and dry sand (plain aragonite), and I'm using the Micro-Bacter start kit that has the ammonia, the nitrifying bacteria, and then (for once the tank cycles), the micro-bacter clean to help with the ugly stage.

Ammonia started at 2 PPM since that's what the product does when you put it in, and over time it's come down to basically zero. My Nitrites, however, have spiked at 5 PPM and are still somewhere between 5 and 2 PPM after nearly four weeks. The value of using the "fast" product aside (feels like I could have just done the shrimp method and saved money if i'd known it was going to take this long), how long does it / should take for Nitrites to come down to zero? I am trying to be patient, but as another week rolls by and it hasn't really changed, it's getting more difficult. Thoughts?