Fluval Evo 5 Owners Thread

falcooo

shredder56

Zip tie is a great idea! I'm trying to figure out how to run the heater cord through that chamber as well. Maybe next weekend.

banasophia

Glad you guys are talking about your pumps because it reminded me to check out the Fluval site and they do have the stock pumps available again. Definitely good to have a back up pump on hand as my tank has been running on the original stock pump for nearly two years now.

• Like 3

Reeftank.thumb.jpg.f5104bc327735a837f1f906610e39595.jpg

Past the 1 month mark now, All seem to be doing fine. No inhabitants yet other than I saw a Bristol worm. He is my clean up crew. I saw some diatoms but they mostly went away I am seeing a  little coralline algae I believe grow on a white rock I have in my sand. I started to see a little green hair but I think the Bristol worm must of ate most of it. I 3d printed a anemone guard for my Hygger wave maker and it seem to help slow the flow a little even though I still have it on the lowest setting. I still see some dust devils that form in the sand and then blow sand around the tank. Next time I do a water change I might syphon some sand from the right side of the tank to try and get it to a level that doesn't blow around. I added a reef glass protein skimmer but not producing much gunk yet as I am feeding the tank very little to keep the bacteria going. The green star polyps I got going on the overflow wall seem to be doing good but seem a little lighter green than expected but look to be growing seeing white mat extending on ends. Don't know if it is just a different variety or if there is something with my light schedule or water chemistry. I had my ph dropping to around 7.8 or lower a couple times but last couple days its been good up around 8.0-8.4 Nitrate around 5ppm. I picked up some Salifert Test kits and was my first time doing them so I don't know if I got them 100% right but my dKH was 8.9 my Calcium 400 and Mg 1200. Salinity has been in the 1.025 -1.026 range. Should I be adding any coral foods in the water for the corals or should they be getting all the nutrients from the water changes?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
shredder56

FTS. The green is not GHA but I believe some distant relative of purple corallin. It will supposedly fade and be replaced with purple. Patience... 3 red leg hermits, 2 fighting conchs (didn't know they could jump!) two narcissus, and one peppermint shrimp. 

IMG_3697.jpg.5adbaa0c886099ae4f002eccb9ff1f54.jpg   

Duncan is happy, RFA seems happy, candy cane, not so much. I also have a little bitty mushroom floating around the bottom somewhere.

IMG_3699.jpg.3d9af81860fb8c5d31304cfd95fbe808.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg.c6648b8b2b82f71249e3ca3b3dfdfbca.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg.c625c456a22a2b7d7b410546d0dba501.jpg

I cut a piece of acrylic to cover the overflow slots to regulate the tank depth. I bent another small piece over a pencil with a heat gun to make a clip. Works surprisingly well. Real easy to top-off to the pump chamber.

IMG_3698.jpg.75b3078841595e8f70a557b7fba298cb.jpg

I did a no-fish cycle and think I am suffering the effects of little bio diversity. Bought 2 lbs of Garf Grunge. It's in a bucket with a heater and power head  waiting for the ammonia to subside. It is WAY high. I'll let you know what was in the bag.

Oh, and I've got bugs! Saw quite a few pods on the glass the other night. I've been feeding 3-4ml of Algae Barn phyto every other day. Very exciting to see that kind of life.

• Like 3
CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Very nice. Love the little goby hosting the duncans. 

Thank you! It somehow has a relationship with it now the Duncan isn't bothered at all anymore haha. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
18 hours ago, shredder56 said:

Very, very nice. How old is the tank?

Thank you! It's been up since March. The zoa rock comes from my lagoon 25 which was running for a few years. 

shredder56

Two pounds of GARF Grunge in with no ill effects. Was hoping for more bio diversity, maybe a star or two, but it is kind of hard to tell. Nice ball of cheato, but yikes, not kidding about the grunge; frag plugs and pieces of zip ties. Duncan, RFA, crabs, pep shrimp, and nassarius are very happy. Think my candy cane is a gonner.

Eventually I'll get more coral, but I think a hardy fish is my next step.  What current/past fish do you recommend for your EVO?

Stay Blessed!

• 2 weeks later...
shredder56

Might be the smartest RFA on the planet. Can catch every bit of food headed for the overflow. Dude (or dudette) moved there all by himself today. Had been parked above the pump output for a week or so.

IMG_3722.jpg.2858acaada28bfa500113f025cf20fa7.jpg

• Like 1

So just setting up my Evo 5 (freshwater tank in a previous life) what is the preferred upgraded pump? MJ606 and its knock offs don't seem to be available anywhere at the moment. Doing a dry rock cycle so have a few weeks to come up with something but would like to get things running properly before adding any livestock.

Thanks 

Colin

20220224_201147_resized.jpg

shredder56

I upgraded my pump to ViaAqua VA-302 Submersible Economy Water Pump -160GPH

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2L7C8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a real tight fit. Took the back cover off of the pump (where the power cord exits) and trimmed the plastic around the cord. Also routed the cord through the media chamber. Finally, tied a long zip tie around the pump to make it easily removable. If the zip tie degrades, I'll be screwed. 

shredder56

For all you DIYers, I used some acrylic to make a media basket. Plenty of rock in the display so took out the bio balls; just run charcoal and floss. Anyone used all that empty space (relatively speaking) to house cheato? Is there a suitable submersible light? I've only found one of amazon but choice is always better.

15 hours ago, shredder56 said:

I upgraded my pump to ViaAqua VA-302 Submersible Economy Water Pump -160GPH

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2L7C8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a real tight fit. Took the back cover off of the pump (where the power cord exits) and trimmed the plastic around the cord. Also routed the cord through the media chamber. Finally, tied a long zip tie around the pump to make it easily removable. If the zip tie degrades, I'll be screwed. 

I used that same pump, actually came in a two pack so if it goes bad I have a spare. Seem to run fine and gives good flow to the tank. I also run a Hygger mini wave maker, and for the first couple months it blew some of the sand around the tank but now that has kinda stop as things have settled in, maybe I can play around and see if I can change it off the lowest setting.

shredder56

IMG_3724.jpg.e83312298bb31277c317cf96f3f577f0.jpgIMG_3726.jpg.2784f6cb63a18c9042defb5aacd997a5.jpg

Well, five new additions. Two Sharknose Gobies (PETCO, $9.99 each), one red mushroom, a red RFA, and bubble algae. Gobies are very active, swimming around eating pods I guess. Some stuff they spit out and some they keep. Tried to separate the RFAs but they are attached to the same rock. Started dosing with Vibrant to take care of bubbles. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I wish I could get the Fluval Evo but I don't know who sales them in Estonia or Finland, I've never seen them in stores and Amazons wants 700€ for the aquarium and shipping from UK

• Wow 2
5 hours ago, Nemo69 said:

I wish I could get the Fluval Evo but I don't know who sales them in Estonia or Finland, I've never seen them in stores and Amazons wants 700€ for the aquarium and shipping from UK

Wow, that's about $1000 Cdn.  Local price is about $200 Cdn which I think is outrageous.

23 hours ago, Nemo69 said:

Could you not contact Fluval in Germany and find a vendor?

• 4 weeks later...
Pinballguy

HI everyone, I am new to the site and just purchased a new Fluval Evo 5. I accidentally posted in the wrong forum (like I said, I'm new here!), so wanted to bring this over here.

I'm not new to the hobby - had a nice RedSea Max for about six years before I had to sell it all when I moved from Seattle to Texas a few years back - but I'm just now getting back into it and I've forgotten alot. Plus the Fluval EVO 5 is a new system for me.

I'm taking it slow as I can afford to buy equipment, so it likely will be a while before I begin cycling, but so far I've got the tank, a self-leveling mat, and today bought a YukiHalu 50W submersible heater. Next up is probably rock (can't decide if I should go live-rock or dry to begin - thoughts?), sand, and filter media. Then I need to identify a good retailer here in San Antonio where I can get pre-mixed saltwater (I don't want to hassle with that again, especially with doing weekly water changes). It's a small enough volume I'll just buy 5 gallons at a time and figure that might last me two weekly changes (if I do ~30% or so per week) before going back for more.

Anyway, lots of supplies to still secure, but wanted to say hello. I'll be asking lots of questions along the way! 🙂

• Like 3
shredder56

Welcome! This thread has been dead for weeks.

Mine has been running for three months. If I was starting over, I'd find some established live rock. I went with a bottle cycle and didn't go well due I think to lack of bio diversity. I threw some Garf Grunge in there and it helped immensely. I lost a couple of corals in the beginning but things are doing well now. Still can't get coralline algae to come around. Tank seems well balanced. If you look up thread I stuck with the stock light but upgraded the pump. Look up thread to see some simple mods that help performance. 

OBTW, I have a 1966 Mayfair in the basement. Playable, but needs a couple parts and I dicked up the playfield a bit. Fun getting it going again.

• Like 2
Pinballguy
On 3/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, shredder56 said:

Welcome! This thread has been dead for weeks.

Mine has been running for three months. If I was starting over, I'd find some established live rock. I went with a bottle cycle and didn't go well due I think to lack of bio diversity. I threw some Garf Grunge in there and it helped immensely. I lost a couple of corals in the beginning but things are doing well now. Still can't get coralline algae to come around. Tank seems well balanced. If you look up thread I stuck with the stock light but upgraded the pump. Look up thread to see some simple mods that help performance. 

OBTW, I have a 1966 Mayfair in the basement. Playable, but needs a couple parts and I dicked up the playfield a bit. Fun getting it going again.

Cool about the pinball. I restore old Gottliebs and have a YouTube Channel about that. 

On the Fluval, what pump did you upgrade with? I am debating upgrading the pump and/or just adding a very small nano wave-jet/powerhead.

I am thinking dry rock to try to avoid hitchhikers, and going the bottle cycle route as well. I'm planning to go super slow with the tank, but am still debating on the rock. I'd like to get 4-5 nice corals and let them spread, take over my rock (I'm thinking 4-5 pounds max?). And then probably two fish - a goby or blennie, and then also either a Damsel or a single Clownfish.

Pinballguy

Question for the group on lighting. I'm planning to stick with the stock lighting if I can, and I'm wondering about using the blue lights. My understanding is that when using a more-blue light can help keep algae growth down. If that's true, and even if it's not, can corals grow under only the stock blue lights? Or what have you found is an ideal mix of having the full lights on versus the blue, versus no lights at all, in a 24 hour period. Obviously, would love to enable coral growth but also not create conditions where algae growth is a big deal.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:32 PM, Pinballguy said:

Question for the group on lighting. I'm planning to stick with the stock lighting if I can, and I'm wondering about using the blue lights. My understanding is that when using a more-blue light can help keep algae growth down. If that's true, and even if it's not, can corals grow under only the stock blue lights? Or what have you found is an ideal mix of having the full lights on versus the blue, versus no lights at all, in a 24 hour period. Obviously, would love to enable coral growth but also not create conditions where algae growth is a big deal.

I am no expert, but here is my opinion. My tank is just about 4 months old but seems to be doing good. I was donated some rather large torch corals from my Brother in Law. I run a 25W Luxcare light (Found Here), I bought off Amazon on a ramp timer. I ramp up 100% white light over 2 hours and hold for about 5 hours and then ramp back down over 3 hours and hold 3% for a few hours. I like a little bit of algae so my tailspot blenny and clean up crew have something to graze on at their leisure. I could probably only ramp to 90 or 95% and it might eliminate the algae but as I said its a natural food source. So I think my light is enough to grow corals but its not so strong that the tank is going to get over run with alage. I do a 1/2 gallon water change every Wednesday. What I call waterchange Wednesdays. Seems to be working for now. I have heard that white is for growing and blue is for showing.

ramptimer.png

Fishtank2.jpg