Pod Your Reef

Current Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual for Nuvo Fusion 20

NanoReef303

NanoReef303

New to nano-reef and looking for some advice from anyone with experience using the Current USA Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED 24-36 in. I’m in the process of setting up an IM Nuvo Fusion 20g.  This is my first tank after taking a +10 year hiatus and my plan is to start out and keep easier to maintain soft and LPS corals, no imminent plans to keep SPS, but maybe in the future.  In researching this light, which includes 2 fixtures, it seems to have PAR ratings that would be more than adequate and the coverage would be ideal for the footprint of this tank since almost all of the 24 in width would be lite (https://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf).

In addition to providing a decent light source that will grow LPS corals, my other primary goal is to reduce light spill.  My tank is going to be in a main room and I have 2 small children, so I’m a bit worried about having a light mounted high above the tank with the little ones looking up at it.  This is where these lights also seem to be a great fit since their included mounts place the light directly above the water, while still covering the full tank.

Most of the reviews I’ve seen seem to be focused on older and less powerful models from Current.  These seem to have the power and PAR needed to grow any LPS and probably some SPS in the top half of the tank.  Downside is that the controller is just Bluetooth and not WiFi, but I think I can live with that.  I like the AI prime HDs as well, but to get what I want I think I’ll need 2 of them which is going to be way too much power for a tank of this size.  Also like the Nanobox Duo, but not sure it will cover as good as these when mounted a couple of inches above the water surface.

Anyone have success with these?  What am I missing?  Is the disco effect terrible on these?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 2

WV Reefer will likely chime in as she uses these on her 12 gallon long and really likes it.

I like it enough that it's probably the light I will purchase when I get my nano, though I am considering the loop system as then everything from y our lights to pump to wavemaker/powerheads have the same controller.

• Like 1
ChristopherDido

Don't have any advice on the IC Orbit, but will chime in on the having kids question and light spillage, I had the same concern and posted it here. Got lots of helpful advice, so if you really want the AI Prime check out the thread. Here's the thread: 

• Like 1
NanoReef303

Thank you for the thoughts.  I really like the fact these lights have a low profile and sit right on the tank, so light spill should be minimal.  Everything I’ve read seems like they have enough power/par, but wondering from folks with experience if they will successfully grow LPS and Softies.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NanoReef303 said:

Thank you for the thoughts.  I really like the fact these lights have a low profile and sit right on the tank, so light spill should be minimal.  Everything I’ve read seems like they have enough power/par, but wondering from folks with experience if they will successfully grow LPS and Softies.

I use the 36” dual with the loop system. I have also used two of the older models...... they have all been great lights for me and my purposes. 😊 I love the low slim profile...... it’s perfect for my setup. 

• Like 2
NanoReef303

Thank you for the firsthand account WV Reefer.  Based on your tank pics, looks like you’ve had some success with these. I think I’m going to go with them for my Nuvo Fusion 20.

• Like 1

Great for Nanos. I got a solid deal on mine and also have 2 eflux 660s so it's nice having it all together. 

Running them right now over my 20g (21.7) waterbox.  I also added two sunblaster t5ho running actinic and blue plus basically 

IMG_20190403_205410_094.thumb.jpg.4dbe85bafc9393c55c849e94846092a5.jpg

20190311_151359.jpg

• Like 1
NanoReef303

Thank you.  Saltwateraquarium.com has them for $251 and that includes an eflux 660 pump for free, so seems like a solid deal and kills 2 birds with one stone for me since I’m just setting up my tank and need a wave pump.

• Like 2