Coral Vue Hydros

Loungeview Pico – An Old School Cheerleader

Tempestas

Tempestas

Thanks guys.

Here's the babies all settled into my tank with its light.

IMG_4925copy.thumb.jpg.3ce58ba7bed18fa9850cf4b46b99599d.jpgIMG_4924copy.thumb.jpg.3f374b9bd9909fdfce27ae9f853cafa6.jpg

Also, I've decided to build a new sps only tank for my office. Now the universe just needs to give me money.

If anyone has suggestions/advice, please feel free to chime in.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 7:50 AM, Tempestas said:

Thanks guys.

Here's the babies all settled into my tank with its light.

IMG_4925copy.thumb.jpg.3ce58ba7bed18fa9850cf4b46b99599d.jpgIMG_4924copy.thumb.jpg.3f374b9bd9909fdfce27ae9f853cafa6.jpg

Also, I've decided to build a new sps only tank for my office. Now the universe just needs to give me money.

If anyone has suggestions/advice, please feel free to chime in.

Those mushies look amazing!!

As for the SPS tank - I bet you'll have no problem based off of your bowl efforts.  Stability and flow and you got the rest 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Tempestas

Got home from a two week vacation and found this:

IMG_5143.thumb.jpg.ad782435a9cfe80ccd1f39231c815d28.jpg

Attempted a 150% water change but looks like almost all the corals are gone. The problem was a loose connection in the airline tubing, so essentially everything suffocated.

IMG_5145.thumb.jpg.f1236e2e41e05572e8d2a0e18f1669db.jpg

My heart is broken.

• Sad 6
natalia_la_loca

So sorry to see this 😢 What has survived? It may not be much consolation right now, but part of the beauty of these picos is their near-infinite capacity for renewal. 

Tempestas

Thanks everyone. Sadly at this point there only seem to be a few zoas that are sealed up shut. Can't seem to find any other forms of life.

The slightly longer story is that my parents and sister were meant to be looking after the tank while I was away. They said they noticed it was cloudy on saturday morning, but figured I would be home on Sunday night, so they didn't bother saying anything. Which meant that stuff probably went wrong around Wed or Thurs. The fact that my flight got delayed by more that 24 hours probably didn't change anything.

The irony is that my mother (who usually doesn't message me much) was texting me twice a day for the last week, and I sarcastically thought that she was trying to be nice for killing the tank accidentally.

At this stage, I'm still deciding what to do, whether to give it a chance and see what happens, attempt a reboot, or just to throw in the towel and do a teardown.

I'm just really sad as to how things went down. Especially more so considering all the calamities that have hit this tank in the past with all the power outages and moves and months of neglect that it went through, and how it bounced back without any complaints.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
geekreef_05

Sorry to hear. It was a great lil reef bowl. 

The worst always goes wrong when you gone for an extended time. Happens to us all on a long enough timescale. 

And equipment failure is frustrating to deal with. 

Whether you restart the bowl or move to a new project, all the best on the next one. 

Tempestas

Well, a week later and the zoas are melting away, so I'm guess they're gonners.

I've shut the light off, but still contemplating about my next step. I wanted to ask those with experience if my rock is still any good, given that everything including all the inverts got taken out. Or should I just dry it out and turf it?

Lingwendil

Basically treat it like uncured live rock at this point- you will still have a ton of die-off, but it may be able to be saved. The bacteria will still be there. Expect lots of ammonia.

schgr.cube
4 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Well, a week later and the zoas are melting away, so I'm guess they're gonners.

I've shut the light off, but still contemplating about my next step. I wanted to ask those with experience if my rock is still any good, given that everything including all the inverts got taken out. Or should I just dry it out and turf it?

I would just turn the lights off and go through a new cycle and give it another go.

natalia_la_loca

The rock is definitely still good. As others have said, keep the lights off, let the cycle proceed, do water changes to remove detritus and excess nutrients as organisms decay. You’ll have a clean slate.

• 4 weeks later...
Tempestas

Did a deep clean of the tank this weekend with full waterchange.

IMG_5379.thumb.jpg.1c4ce6fbc1500407fffae7d1d6a32c3a.jpg

Amazing to see what it looks like fully empty

IMG_5377.thumb.jpg.f5bd3f7d35b7370180f863c25fc07383.jpg

Too out all of the rocks as well

IMG_5378.thumb.jpg.8f66917fa274e5152f39c05fa0346d24.jpg

It's amazing what crap collected in the abyss below the rockwork over the years

IMG_5380.thumb.jpg.d8e6a0571a4a020b757781f8870e0ae6.jpg

All put back together. It honestly looks like a ghost town in there.

• Like 2