Cultivated Reef

Fish always die over night. Long read and need help.

3s1k

On 2/14/2019 at 10:29 PM, IamJoHo said:

Damn sounds like your water was the issue........

Probably something that isnt tested in our aquariums. Since my TDS is twice of what it was a few years ago.

We had a huge earthquake a late November. I know city water was being treated for a week or so and wasn't drinkable. 

• Wow 1
On 1/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, Floundering_Around said:

My acclimation is a bit longer. I got my two clowns at reefapalooza NY and they sat in the bag for at least two days and came on the plane with me. I opened the bag, put in ammolock, dipped them, then acclimated them to my tank water over the course of many hours as I unpacked, ate dinner, etc. (like, over five hours honestly). They were then in QT for over a month. My tailspot blenny was bought from an LFS, acclimated to my water for a few hours, and is now in QT for the next two or so weeks. I don't think long acclimation time is the problem here (just my two cents).

If I were you, I would just let the tank sit fallow for a bit since you've had multiple fish going in and out in the span of a few days. It's gonna suck, especially with a young child wanting fish, but if you don't know what's causing it, there's no point to keep blindly putting fish in there and hoping they survive. I would also QT the fish in a different container (I use a five-gallon bucket). By introducing them to the bucket first, it allows you to medicate them, monitor them for any diseases without said diseases being in your tank, and determine if there is something in the tank that kills them in the first 24hrs or if you're unconsciously doing something.

GOod luck

Not to hijack the thread by how did u get them on the plane lol

Also on subject i would check oxygen levels and for stray electricity

• 2 weeks later...

Update. The Damsel passed away. Everything seemed good for 6 week. He was eating and acting normal. Only change was I increased the the intensity of my Kessil a360 to 50% from 40% over 5 day acclimation setting on the controller because I got some new corals.

18 minutes ago, 3s1k said:

Update. The Damsel passed away. Everything seemed good for 6 week. He was eating and acting normal. Only change was I increased the the intensity of my Kessil a360 to 50% from 40% over 5 day acclimation setting on the controller because I got some new corals.

At this point I would just tear the tank down and start fresh since the amount of money sunk into it won't justify sinking more into it without reviewing literally everything. Then slowly add back things bit by bit. Just my opinion on what I would do though. 

1 minute ago, Coinee said:

At this point I would just tear the tank down and start fresh since the amount of money sunk into it won't justify sinking more into it without reviewing literally everything. Then slowly add back things bit by bit. Just my opinion on what I would do though. 

Ya I guess setting up a completely different small system would help determine if it is an issue with water or other things added to the tank vs equipment.

1 minute ago, 3s1k said:

I'm done with fish. Corals and invertebrates seem to be doing fine for whatever reason.🙄

Just leave the tank without fish 3 months then try again, at least that would rule out most disease. 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Just leave the tank without fish 3 months then try again, at least that would rule out most disease. 

Ok, I'll give it a try. I really dread the idea of breaking it down to start fresh or setting up another tank.

I'd let the tank sit fallow for minimum 8 weeks. 10 better.

Get a fish from a different store and qt it.

Set up the qt with the bottled sea water, not water from your tank.

Once fallow period is over, try the new fish in your tank.

If the fish survives with no known symptoms in qt for 4+ weeks but dies in the tank, then we gotta look into other considerations.

If it survives, good chance it was a disease that just kept spreading and needed no host to stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Just an update. 7 weeks without fish. I've added a Candy Cane coral, Rock Flower Nem and some Acan Lords since then. Everything seems to be happy. Coral Banded shrimp is fine and eating.

I'm still in the process of setting up a QT tank. Before I add any new fish.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I took a chance after the 10 week mark and bought a Banghai Cardinal. He's been in there 2 weeks. He doesnt like flakes but loves frozen mysis. I usually seem him when the lights are off.

So far so good. I'll post update in a few more weeks. I'm only using RODI water for WC and top-offs and I just started running a Skimmer a week ago. I added a ton of frags which is what I started focusing on since I was afraid I would never keep fish. Everything still seems happy.

Here's a top down shot a few weeks ago.

20190525_114010.jpg

20190506_204605_001_saved.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...