ReefCleaners.org

Best filter for 5g Pico

DaveMc

Hey gang,

I need some input for a 5g pico I am gonna be starting. Was wanting to get some input on a what would be a good filter to use for it. Preferably a HOB type unless anyone has a better option. Was looking at the following...

Aquaclear 20

Odyssea CFS 130 Hang on Aquarium Canister Filter

Boxtech Aquarium Hang On Filter - Power Waterfall Suspension Oxygen Pump

Small Power Filter for Rimless Tanks --- 3-in-1 Filtration System

AZOO Aquarium Mignon Filter 150

Seachem Tidal

This is going to be my first pico. My nano and regular system I didn't have so many questions lol. But going this small I want to make sure I do it right. 

Appreciate any input or suggestions. 🙂

Edited by DaveMc
added extra filter option
5 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

I would do AC70 with all the inTank add on’s and an AC20 impeller swap. 

Ive run 2 AC70’s and an AC110 on previous tanks, all with @StevieT baskets! Perfect little setups.

44 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The aquaclear isn a favoured filter.

If you get a larger one you can set up a refugium in it or hide heaters in it.

That sounds like a great idea Clown79 and shaner014. As a matter of fact I seen a video on YouTube the other day somewhere about this. Didn't think about the AC70 because of size but forgot the flow can be adjusted on it. think this may be just the way to go 😉

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Another really great filter is the seachem tidal. 

I was looking at that one as well. I like the idea of the surface skimmer it has on it. Think it would work great when blowing off the rocks to grab the extra detritus that may be flowing around in the water column. Just feels like it adds an extra benefit that they others don't. Will add that to the list  🙂

2 minutes ago, DaveMc said:

I was looking at that one as well. I like the idea of the surface skimmer it has on it. Think it would work great when blowing off the rocks to grab the extra detritus that may be flowing around in the water column. Just feels like it adds an extra benefit that they others don't. Will add that to the list  🙂

I've used a lot of hob filters on fw and sw, the tidal was my favorite.

It's super quiet, the surface skimmer kept my surface clean, huge media basket, and fully controllable flow. The pump is sicce which was another bonus.

Other filters need a surface skimmer attachment which takes up real estate and are an eye sore, they also have very little control of flow.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've used a lot of hob filters on fw and sw, the tidal was my favorite.

It's super quiet, the surface skimmer kept my surface clean, huge media basket, and fully controllable flow. The pump is sicce which was another bonus.

Other filters need a surface skimmer attachment which takes up real estate and are an eye sore, they also have very little control of flow.

Same here, when I had my 10g Nano, I used several before settling on the Aquaclear. Still have it actually on my 36g bowfront until my larger one comes in. When caught my eye the most, besides the surface skimmer, was the sicce pump. I love Sicce products and this at the aforementioned has it running in top spot right now lol.

I would go with the AquaClear,seeming you can swap out the bodies and impeller wheels makes it good for saltwater tanks if you want to make a fuge out of it hide equipment ect ect. I have used nothing but AC filters my whole reefer "career" and will probably never use another HOB filter. 

Having Intank products like the media basket,skimmer box make it modular and a great AIO filtration,surface skimmer option for pico's and nano's. 

I currently have a AC30 set up to be used in my 5g AIO tank,with a DIY media tray. 

20181123_163153.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

I would go with the AquaClear,seeming you can swap out the bodies and impeller wheels makes it good for saltwater tanks if you want to make a fuge out of it hide equipment ect ect. I have used nothing but AC filters my whole reefer "career" and will probably never use another HOB filter. 

Having Intank products like the media basket,skimmer box make it modular and a great AIO filtration,surface skimmer option for pico's and nano's. 

I currently have a AC30 set up to be used in my 5g AIO tank,with a DIY media tray. 

20181123_163153.jpg

Hey @Reefkid88,

I really like your setup there. As it stands my 2 choices so far are the AquaClear and the Seachem. the Aquaclear I have right now on another tank has been awesome, n issues and works great. I as looking at the InTank mods and really like the layout they have and appears to make it much easier for cleaning too. The seachem, I like the way it forces the water up from the bottom to the top so it hits all the media on the way to going back into the tank, plus the surface skimmer it has on it.

You mentioned the skimmer box from InTank. Is that the one the basically slips over the intake tube from the tank? If so, may go that way depending on size of it. I really like the setup you have on yours. The media tray you have, from what I can see, looks like the one I seen on a Youtube video. Really like how simple it was to setup this way. Almost like having a algae scrubber built into it lol. Which is great I think. By the way, what skimmer is that you have on yours?

Choices, choices choices haha. 😄

Thank you. I just took the stock media basket,cut the bottom off,and glued egg crate at the bottom and near the top leaving room at the bottom for whatever media,and the top has a sponge as you can see. I cut a small sliver off the top of the foam to put under my DC650 return pump and to make the stock block of foam to fit under the handles of the media tray. 

I have used the intank media basket before and its really nice. Organizes everything really well. 

Yes the skimmer just slips over everything while being mounted with magnets: https://intankaquatics.com/aquaclear-magnetic-surface-skimmer/

I have a BioCube skimmer in there,don't know if I'm gonna run it or not,I'm dealing with water level issues at the moment I still need to tackle. 

@Reefkid88

I have used the intank media basket before and its really nice. Organizes everything really well. 

Yes, when I was looking on their site that was the first thing that drew me into them. Was originally thinking about just getting a new AquaClear for my current tank and taking the one thats on there and use it for the Pico build. This way I will have a bigger more powerful one for my 36g, and the ne thats on it will be more that powerful enough for the pico, will actually have to turn the flow down lol.

Yes the skimmer just slips over everything while being mounted with magnets. 

Sweet, simple enough so I don't screw it up haha.

I just took the stock media basket,cut the bottom off,and glued egg crate at the bottom and near the top leaving room at the bottom for whatever media,and the top has a sponge as you can see. 

Yup, that's the one I was watching haha. Really thinking about going this way now. After all, will have a filter I need plus will be able to get a more powerful one for my current tank, winner winner!!!