inTank Media Baskets

Foam?! And Diagoms Already?? Help lol

FrancineJ

1 hour ago, FrancineJ said:

Thanks I’m gonna try it and I’ll post what happens... I’ll try for a couple weeks just with the vibrance and if I don’t notice a huge difference I will start with manual removal...

I'd recommend doing it backwards...manual removal of as much as you can first and then try Vibrant for the leftovers.  That way you don't have as much of it dying in the tank polluting the water if it does work.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, j.falk said:

I'd recommend doing it backwards...manual removal of as much as you can first and then try Vibrant for the leftovers.  That way you don't have as much of it dying in the tank polluting the water if it does work.

Agree. Any "treatments" should be last resort because many come with other issues.

Vibrant has led to ppl having cyano breakouts.

The fear of popping bubble algae has been spread for yrs. I've popped them and they never spread. 

Emerald grabs break them while eating them too.

I just manually twist them and pull out. They come off easily that way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

That’s true... I was just thinking of trying to remove it first Incase the vibrant didn’t work lol me and my son are gonna tackle it tomorrow evening so we will hope for the best... he put in a dose of vibrant tonight anyway... no harm in doing both at the same time...

is there anything about how they grow? This is the first tank I’ve ever got it in... like could I increase nutrients or decrease nutrients etc??

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Agree. Any "treatments" should be last resort because many come with other issues.

Vibrant has led to ppl having cyano breakouts.

The fear of popping bubble algae has been spread for yrs. I've popped them and they never spread. 

Emerald grabs break them while eating them too.

I just manually twist them and pull out. They come off easily that way.

Did you have A LOT of them?? Like everywhere? Including one poor Trochus snails shell lol??

20 hours ago, FrancineJ said:

That’s true... I was just thinking of trying to remove it first Incase the vibrant didn’t work lol me and my son are gonna tackle it tomorrow evening so we will hope for the best... he put in a dose of vibrant tonight anyway... no harm in doing both at the same time...

is there anything about how they grow? This is the first tank I’ve ever got it in... like could I increase nutrients or decrease nutrients etc??

Did you have A LOT of them?? Like everywhere? Including one poor Trochus snails shell lol??

No, I got on them before they could spread.

I had a patch of 10 bubbles and removed them over a few waterchanges, they happen to be in a not so easy location but I got them out. Sometimes I just rub them off the rock and when they float I catch them with a strainer.

Haven't had them in a few yrs once I got rid of them.

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

No, I got on them before they could spread.

I had a patch of 10 bubbles and removed them over a few waterchanges, they happen to be in a not so easy location but I got them out. Sometimes I just rub them off the rock and when they float I catch them with a strainer.

Haven't had them in a few yrs once I got rid of them.

Haha 10 bubbles....out Trochus snail had 10 bubbles on him... we likely have 100 or more lol 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

Haha 10 bubbles....out Trochus snail had 10 bubbles on him... we likely have 100 or more lol 

It would have gotten worse but I try to jump on issues before they get out of hand. My snails had a few, I just popped them off as well

20 hours ago, FrancineJ said:

They are a member of the green algae family so they have some important similarities with (e.g.) so-called "green hair" algae, Bryopsis, and other members of the family.  All of these will spread by "spores" if conditions are right.

"Right conditions" can mean a lot of things in different scenarios.

In our case, the most common "right conditions" are a tank that is:

• newish
  • started with dead rock
  • over-filtered
  • too low in nutrients

Having not enough nutrients in the water (usually phosphate) will restrict growth and development ONLY to organisms which can find and use bound phosphate such as what will naturally be present on every aragonite surface in the tank.  Your rock, sand and any bare coral skeleton are all made from aragonite.

This is pretty much limited to things which can settle "babies" (spores) to grow right on the rock.

Algae is pretty much perfectly adapted to this scenario.

Starting with dead rock means there is very likely nothing at all to complete with the algae spores for space and nutrients.

The tank being newish means that whatever is there still hasn't had time to develop and mature.

And being over-filtered means that there are possibly several added, unnecessary layers of filtration also competing for basic nutrients such as nitratres and phosphates.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

They are a member of the green algae family so they have some important similarities with (e.g.) so-called "green hair" algae, Bryopsis, and other members of the family.  All of these will spread by "spores" if conditions are right.

"Right conditions" can mean a lot of things in different scenarios.

In our case, the most common "right conditions" are a tank that is:

• newish
  • started with dead rock
  • over-filtered
  • too low in nutrients

Having not enough nutrients in the water (usually phosphate) will restrict growth and development ONLY to organisms which can find and use bound phosphate such as what will naturally be present on every aragonite surface in the tank.  Your rock, sand and any bare coral skeleton are all made from aragonite.

This is pretty much limited to things which can settle "babies" (spores) to grow right on the rock.

Algae is pretty much perfectly adapted to this scenario.

Starting with dead rock means there is very likely nothing at all to complete with the algae spores for space and nutrients.

The tank being newish means that whatever is there still hasn't had time to develop and mature.

And being over-filtered means that there are possibly several added, unnecessary layers of filtration also competing for basic nutrients such as nitratres and phosphates.

It’s only a biocube 32 so I could pull the rocks out and scrape them off quickly but we just had a large batch of baby trochus snails so I won’t be able to pick them all off and likely will lose them and I don’t want too lol

so I’m stuck 

• Like 1