Cultivated Reef

My new 25g Nano Lagoon (Mixed Reef)

BriansNanoReef

@BriansNanoReef

First of all, thank you so so much for taking the time to share all this knowledge and experience with me! Because of you're awesome response and help I'll follow up on a few points.

Re lighting: I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion vs AI. Lots of people love the radions but there seem to be lots of good reasons for the Hydra. 

1) A recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right?

2) Regarding the extra power you mention, according to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg pair with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?

3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Overall, it seems that other than a bit extra punch, there is little that the Radions do more/better? Am I missing or misunderstanding something? Thank you for all your help in helping me learn about keeping reef tanks.

"If I had to decide between 2 AI's and 1 Hydra 26, I would go with the 2 Primes, being that I am growing SPS." --- Is this to reduce shading when having larger colonies of SPS? I might also consider adding 2 T5 bulbs with a hybrid fixture.

Re skimmer: Thanks! I'll look more into the Eshopps nano skimmer and see how much bioload others are successful with. I'd love not to have the clunky HOB one. I believe the HOB 1.5 is newer and not discontinued.

Thanks again! This helped a ton!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
BriansNanoReef

Hey Reefers-

Just doing a quick update on the lagoon.

Moved some of my corals around and secured them to my rock structure.

I noticed my candy cane coral was receding really fast.  Didn't realize how sensitive these guys are to flow. It's in a lower flow area and is already recovering.

Other than that, everything seems to be going pretty well.   Next week I will be moving some of my SPS to higher areas in the tank; including the ones on my frag rack.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5078.jpeg

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

Hey everyone!

Quick UPDATE on the lagoon:

I've moved  my corals around a bit more. I like it better than before, but I'm still making small adjustments.  

I've turned down both lights and flow. I underestimated the amount of flow in my tank (Sicce 1.0, MP10, and an RW4)   and the XR30's pump out a TON of light. At 25%, even SPS were bleaching (with acclimation too). I've switched over to the Coral Lab LPS template and modified it slightly. Now running at an intensity of 15% max (around 26 watts or so).  Starting to see SPS regain their color which I'm stoked about.

I decided to move the weeping willow to the top. It seems to really like that placement (So far I like it there lol; months down the line though it could start to shade other corals though)

Anyways, I'll update when things are a bit more exciting. In the meantime, here are some photos from a few hours ago.   Feel free to comment, ask questions,  offer advice. 😉

Happy Reefing.

-BG

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BriansNanoReef said:

Hey everyone!

Quick UPDATE on the lagoon:

I've moved  my corals around a bit more. I like it better than before, but I'm still making small adjustments.  

I've turned down both lights and flow. I underestimated the amount of flow in my tank (Sicce 1.0, MP10, and an RW4)   and the XR30's pump out a TON of light. At 25%, even SPS were bleaching (with acclimation too). I've switched over to the Coral Lab LPS template and modified it slightly. Now running at an intensity of 15% max (around 26 watts or so).  Starting to see SPS regain their color which I'm stoked about.

I decided to move the weeping willow to the top. It seems to really like that placement (So far I like it there lol; months down the line though it could start to shade other corals though)

Anyways, I'll update when things are a bit more exciting. In the meantime, here are some photos from a few hours ago.   Feel free to comment, ask questions,  offer advice. 😉

Happy Reefing.

-BG

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

THIS TANK :wub: It's coming along nicely.... time to figure out where all those frags are gonna go.  They're not staying stuck in the sand, are they?  maybe a small low-lying rock for a zoa garden? 

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

@micoastreefing     Thanks a lot 🙂  .     Zoas will eventually be meshed together into a little garden once I find the appropriate sized/shaped rock.  I know the frag tiles look cumbersome lol.   I think once the chalices start growing, it will start to look a lot more natural as well.

Thanks again

-BG