Innovative Marine Aquariums

My new 25g Nano Lagoon (Mixed Reef)

BriansNanoReef

BriansNanoReef

Hey Reefers!

My name is Brian. This is my first time posting on Nano-Reef.  I am a Marine Biology student and have been in the reefing hobby for about 1 year .  I've recently downsized to a 25g Lagoon and wanted to share my experience on the progression of the tank.

I just put my corals from my quarantine system into the lagoon about two nights ago, so I thought it would be the perfect time to start documenting.  (Figured you've already seen enough tanks cycle 🙂  )

Here are the specs:

-Innovative Marine 25 gallon Fusion Lagoon
-Nuvo APS stand (wood)
---------------------------------

Lights: 
-Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED (w/ RMS mount)

Filtration: 
- 1x Sicce 1.5 Return Pumps
-Eshopps Nano Protein Skimmer
-Vortech MP10
-Jebao RW4 wave-maker 
-IM MiniMax Media Reactor (running rowaphos)
-2x InTank Media Basket ( w/ polyfilter floss)

Substrate: 
-Tropic Eden Reef Flakes (30 lbs)

- Real Reef Rock (15 lbs)
Heater: 
-Cobalt Neotherm Heater (100w)

Day 1:

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4h677.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

IMG_4679.jpeg

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

Day 28 of Lagoon (overall)

Day 2 of Lagoon with Coral.

Things are coming along nicely. I have finally gotten the tank stable and all of my fish and coral are now transferred over from my quarantine system. The Calcium/Alkalinity usage is going to shoot up, so I will have to monitor the tank closely and increase dosing as needed.

I am pretty happy with the aquascape, but may make some minor adjustments. I still have to glue some corals to their appropriate places 

Here are some quick shots I took.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
BriansNanoReef

Thank you very much 🙂    Luckily, most of the pricey corals I have are really hardy. However, I've lucked out with the gold torch, but it's been with me since the beginning and has proven to be a survivor. I've heard a lot of people struggle keeping them alive.

As far as reefing goes, I've always been one to save up my money and wait longer, so that I can spend it on a nice piece. I always buy frags too.

I really like to see corals grow in my tank starting from a single head/polyp. 

Thanks again,

-BG

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

@Clown79   Thanks so much!

The Torch is one of my favorites; I really hope it continues on the same path!  I've noticed they enjoy a decent amount of light. More than I would of thought for a Torch.

-BG

• 2 weeks later...
BriansNanoReef
Quick update on the lagoon:  It's been about 2 weeks since I first put my corals in. They're starting to color up nicely. Thought I would take some shots before lights out 🙂

I have 4 new frags coming from AquaSD tomorrow, so I will be doing another  update sometime tomorrow on the new corals.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4917.jpeg

IMG_4918.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4919.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef
Quick update on the Lagoon: starting to see some decent growth; colors are looking pretty nice as well 1f642.png

If any of you are looking for a skimmer or reactor for your nano, I highly recommend the Eshopps nano skimmer and the IM Desktop reactor. These pieces of equipment are working wonders in my tank.

IMG_4956.thumb.jpeg.330ffe32905c90831f510a5ff700b9c4.jpeg

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

• Like 3

Hello Brian!! Awesome start to your build ☺️. I am going to start using rowaphos and wanted to know how much do you use in the reactor and are you using 2 sponges on top and bottom? 

On 10/1/2018 at 6:25 PM, BriansNanoReef said:

@ReefCap   They're Utter Chaos Palythoas 🙂  When the lights wind down, they start to bunch up before they close, and their colors pop like crazy!

-BG

@pretendo   Yes, I am dosing B-Ionic  2 part

-BG

Do you test then dose? 

BriansNanoReef

@JCG66  Thanks very much! For the sponges, I just followed the instructions that came with the reactor.  I believe it was 2 sponges on bottom and 2 on top. As far as the amount: if you're measuring the length of media filled within the tube itself, I would say I am using about 2 inches worth of rowaphos.

-BG

@vlangel   Thank you very much 🙂

• Thanks 1
BriansNanoReef

@pretendo

Usually I'll dose, then test, but its more of an interplay between the two, depending on whats going on with my tank.

Since the tank is so new, I' am still dialing in dosing amounts.    To get an initial idea of consumption, I tested parameters every day (sometimes multiple times a day; usually every 6,12, or 24 hours) and dosed in small volumes.  I also recorded the times I tested and dosed.  This allowed me to  graph fluctuations in my tank throughout the day and adjust my dosing accordingly.   Right now, I dose 0.5mL of each part in the morning, and 0.5 mL of each at night... Keeps my alk stable at 8.4, which is fine with me.

-BG

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

Not much to update on, but thought I would snap some quick photos.

My black widow anemone decided to venture off and stuck its foot right to the golden torch's skeleton.  Torch did a number on the anemone, but its recovering slowly on a rock/frag magnet where I can keep a close eye on it and move it easily if necessary.

Still dialing in my lights as well, but so far I am pretty happy. The XR30's are ridiculously strong. I've been running a modified SPS AB+ template on an overall intensity of 17% , with the white, red, and green channels turned down to 10%... All other channels at 100%.   Lights come on at 8 a.m. and turn off at 6 p.m.; 1 hour ramp time for sunrise and sunset.

Will update soon!

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_5025.jpeg

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_5026.jpeg

IMG_5024.jpeg

• Like 1

Great looking lagoon and inspiration for mine!

How do you like the Eshopps nano skimmer? It looks like you have a small bioload and little fish in the tank. I'm planning at least 4 fish and was thinking of getting the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 (even though I don't like the large footprint). What is your recommendation?

With intensity at 17% it sounds like the Radions XR30 are very very strong on this tank. I was thinking of using 1 Hydra 26 (cheaper) or 2 AI Primes (better spread). What would you recommend?

Lastly, I'm trying to decide on a powerhead. How do you like your MP10 on the tank? What would you recommend?

Thanks! It's a great help and inspiration to follow along here.

• Like 1
BriansNanoReef

@pieceofreef

Thank you very much!

I am very satisfied with the Eshopps nano skimmer; pulls out a ton of skimmate, easy to adjust and clean, and comes with a custom Sicce pump.  I also have the IM reactor running  with some Rowaphos, just to keep phosphates down for my SPS. I wouldn't say this is necessary, but I am yet to have a single hint of algae show up on rocks or my sandbed, and I think I can partially attribute that to the reactor.  You'll hear back and forth reviews about the IM reactor, but honestly, its worked great for me. I believe the Aquamaxx HOB has been discontinued, but you can find it pretty cheap used.   I've heard great things about that Aquamaxx, but it was more than I wanted to pay for a skimmer and was big/clunky.

Because the Lagoon is only about a foot of water and the RMS mount for the Radions is roughly 8 inches from the waterline, I have to keep my lights wayyyy down.  I have been slowly increasing from 11% and my corals are looking great.   I started at 25%  intensity when I first got the lights and it completely fried some of my SPS.

As far as the Hydras or the Primes... they're both great lights... I would say it depends on what you plan on growing.

2 AI's will give you more coverage than 1 Hydra... (keep in mind you'll also be spending a little over $100 on 2 light mounts if you don't already have them)

If you're going to go with 1 Hydra, I would just spend the extra $50 and get a Radion XR-15.   Both lights have a recommended spread of 18" and a max of 24", but the XR15's will give you a lot more power.

If I had to decide between 2 AI's and 1 Hydra 26, I would go with the 2 Primes, being that I am growing SPS.

Hope this helped 🙂 

-BG

Edited by BriansNanoReef
grammar