Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Max Nano upgrade

Metatrone-oz

Alexcarter165

Hi I know this is a old post but how is your algae scrubber plumbed? Do you have two pump in the last chamber or are you running closed loop off of the return pump?

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:36 AM, Alexcarter165 said:

Hi I know this is a old post but how is your algae scrubber plumbed? Do you have two pump in the last chamber or are you running closed loop off of the return pump?

Sorry I haven't logged here for a while.

My Algae reactor has a dedicated pump submerged in the back chamber of the tank. It's a close loop with the reactor. (Using a Eheim CompactOn 1000 pump)

A few pictures update. The tank has been through a move to my new place a couple month ago and didn’t go too well. I’m back to have a more stable environment and improving 

4F4F2935-535C-4991-A3FE-8F271F5597D7.jpeg

B76C31EA-D318-48DB-8032-B6547DA85FB7.jpeg

240B16F0-01EE-4B23-A77F-C7F0B430FD05.jpeg

44DBA2A2-C175-4BBC-805B-971449FCE1AD.jpeg

130A2EBC-A995-41BF-84C1-3A94FEF74D17.jpeg

704CD274-F04B-4DDB-A54A-001390B91514.jpeg

9DAD8FD1-370A-4585-B87A-FA70748C0AF1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm doing a bit of a system update on my Nano.

I've ordered the Ekoral Lite + Ekdoser

It will replace the following in my tank:

- Kamoer X4 dosing pump

- ATO Tunze nano

- Temperature controller

Also, Australia is finally getting a Triton lab. My LFS has the 2 method available (With or without refugium). Since I have my oversized Chaeto reactor, I'll be changing my dosing set up from Aquaforest 1,2,3 to the Triton version. (no more water change and better water chemistry balance). 

I hope to have everything up and running by the end of the month.

Just got my new Sunburst Anthias and had to build a bit of a cave in the front corner of the tank to help it settle in. It's been bullied a bit by the coral beauty and can't access the area of the tank that could provide cover.

Latest video to show the tank status at the moment: 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
ginoandres
On 2/2/2020 at 11:04 PM, Metatrone-oz said:

I'm doing a bit of a system update on my Nano.

I've ordered the Ekoral Lite + Ekdoser

It will replace the following in my tank:

- Kamoer X4 dosing pump

- ATO Tunze nano

- Temperature controller

Also, Australia is finally getting a Triton lab. My LFS has the 2 method available (With or without refugium). Since I have my oversized Chaeto reactor, I'll be changing my dosing set up from Aquaforest 1,2,3 to the Triton version. (no more water change and better water chemistry balance). 

I hope to have everything up and running by the end of the month.

Just got my new Sunburst Anthias and had to build a bit of a cave in the front corner of the tank to help it settle in. It's been bullied a bit by the coral beauty and can't access the area of the tank that could provide cover.

Latest video to show the tank status at the moment: 

Really stunning tank!  I'm amazed, really.  Just set up and cycling my Red Sea Nano.  I'm pretty surprised at how many fish you fit into the system, even with the algae reactor.  Is it able to keep up with the bioload?  What's your water change schedule like?  I was hoping to eventually have 5 fish in my system and thought that might be too much.  

Metatrone-oz
11 hours ago, ginoandres said:

Really stunning tank!  I'm amazed, really.  Just set up and cycling my Red Sea Nano.  I'm pretty surprised at how many fish you fit into the system, even with the algae reactor.  Is it able to keep up with the bioload?  What's your water change schedule like?  I was hoping to eventually have 5 fish in my system and thought that might be too much.  

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm now running the Triton method for my dosing and it doesn't need anymore water changes. So the oversize reactor + skimmer + dosing keeps my nutrient under control and they never go off. The chaeto reactor is really large for this tank, so you get away with a heavy bio-load. You should still be mindful of the species of fish you are getting since the tank is still small so you want fish that stay small and don't need a large swimming space.

• 1 month later...
Spacejumper

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your Nano's journey!

I picked up a Max Nano and I am now in the planning stages - also dealing with the very steep learning curve going from freshwater to reef.

One item I could use your input on is the Temperature controller and heater to use. I noticed that originally you had an Inkbird that, earlier in the year, you mentioned you want to change. What would you use instead of it and what are the reasons behind the decision?

Any other tips specific to the Max Nano would be highly appreciated as well!

Thank you!