Top Shelf Aquatics

Diatom bloom started. Should i use prodibio ?

Berkay

6 hours ago, brandon429 said:

multiple tanks like yours being reset to clean with before and after pics

Brandon , 

What do you mean ? ı didnot understand. 

And brandon , ım not think like you. Tanks need sand cleaning crews for take sand clean. If nothing touch the sand , sand will full with algaes. Green or maybe more darker. 

Also , did you see my latest photos of the tank ? 

What do you think ? 

Without Conch or other animal this sands can clean ? 

I dont think so ... 

you ? 

:)

just meaning that I would clean your tank, I wouldn't have the algae in place to need the animals. others prefer to wait, and let the animals clean it, there is no right way to proceed its all a matter of choice. if someone does decide they want a clean tank immediately, we use in that linked thread many examples of other people's tanks like yours, so you can see how things turned out.

20 hours ago, Berkay said:

When did you start this ? From the beginning of the tank like first day? 

Some reefers says , ıf nitrate and phosphate is low , you shouldnt use biodigest because it causes to get them 0. And zero is not value what we want. It must be low but not 0. Like 0.01 or 0.03 phosphate. And 1-5 nitrate. 

So i dont use bacteria in this case. 

Not from day 1 but shortly after cycle and have been ever since. 0 nitrates and 0 issues. Not sure on phosphate. I don’t test for that. I have no algae issues so I assume that’s all good. 

11 hours ago, brandon429 said:

animals clean it,

So do you agree with nicholc for clean algaes with biodigest ? Bacterias will work and clean tank ? 

Carbon dosing should only be done with a powerful skimmer. 

Personally I hate 0 nitrates... Some amazing acro tanks where I live and one removed the skimmer and is dosing nitrate to get the amazing colors he does. These are photos from his tank: http://www.lakesidereef.com/

I am considering dosing nitrate as well as feeding is not getting my nitrates up. It used to be all ultra low but people realizing some Nitrate is a good thing. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Personally I hate 0 nitrates..

Yeah i think like that too. 

I test the nitrate. Thats 2. So i think thats low enough. If i use the biodigest. (NOT CARBON , Carbon is bioptim ) , nitrate will become 1 or maybe 0. So thats no need. Only problem is conches for me. I saw some little bugs on glass. So thats mean , water parameters are not very bad for livers of the tank. 

30 minutes ago, Berkay said:

Yeah i think like that too. 

I test the nitrate. Thats 2. So i think thats low enough. If i use the biodigest. (NOT CARBON , Carbon is bioptim ) , nitrate will become 1 or maybe 0. So thats no need. Only problem is conches for me. I saw some little bugs on glass. So thats mean , water parameters are not very bad for livers of the tank. 

little bugs are pods and are normal to have a bloom in a newly cycled tank. They are eating the algae/debris, ect. Their numbers will stabilize eventually. 

Run some floss to catch debris/clean glass, ect. Manual removal of the gross stuff before it breaks down and causes more gross stuff. I'm assuming your cycle is over?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Run some floss to catch debris/clean glass

I dont understand this part ? Im cleaning glass with manuelly. I think cycle is over. But on the sand there is some algae and conches are not living in Aquarium. So sand looks like dirty with green algae. I dont know how that can clean from the tank. Also rocks getting load with more algae like green one. Because nothing walking and cleaning on rocks. Maybe i must get turbo snail. But ıf conches are not living , turbo snail cant live too .. fish is happy. Maybe only problem is ph or degrree ( not very big jumps or downs) for conches. 

I Shared last photos of tank. Thats nearly to now. You can look what level of cycle or type of algae. 

Im cleaning glasses about 1 times in 7 days. 

6 minutes ago, Berkay said:

I dont understand this part ? Im cleaning glass with manuelly. I think cycle is over. But on the sand there is some algae and conches are not living in Aquarium. So sand looks like dirty with green algae. I dont know how that can clean from the tank. Also rocks getting load with more algae like green one. Because nothing walking and cleaning on rocks. Maybe i must get turbo snail. But ıf conches are not living , turbo snail cant live too .. fish is happy. Maybe only problem is ph or degrree ( not very big jumps or downs) for conches. 

I Shared last photos of tank. Thats nearly to now. You can look what level of cycle or type of algae. 

Im cleaning glasses about 1 times in 7 days. 

Weren't the conches added during the cycle? The ammonia could have killed them. Also conches need a lot to eat and can starve to death, they can not get on the rocks so you definitely need some regular snails. I use nerite snails and cernith snails.

Most of us clean the sand ourselves, I clean mine every water change with a gravel vacuum and I recently removed all my sand, stirred it up in a bucket to get it nice and clean and put it back. Snails eat algae but they don't eat poop and snails poop too... so you just have to clean it every so often yourself. 

I use a toothbrush on my rocks and a turkey baster or pump to blow any debris off them before a water change.

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Weren't the conches added during the cycle? The ammonia could have killed them. Also conches need a lot to eat and can starve to death, they can not get on the rocks so you definitely need some regular snails. I use nerite snails and cernith snails.

Most of us clean the sand ourselves, I clean mine every water change with a gravel vacuum and I recently removed all my sand, stirred it up in a bucket to get it nice and clean and put it back. Snails eat algae but they don't eat poop and snails poop too... so you just have to clean it every so often yourself. 

I use a toothbrush on my rocks and a turkey baster or pump to blow any debris off them before a water change.

Wow ? i didnot think like that but now, ım happy ? because i dont know to most of people clean like that .. 

i scared because , ıf i dont touch sand or rocks , first little green algae seen but after 7-8 days this colour getting darker so i wonder is it cyano or other bad things.          or not ... 

and also someone say to me , dont toch algae whatever because after 20-30 days it will become coralline alg. But ım not sure is that nice type of algae. Im adding picture for you. Can you comment algae type with your tank and yours... 

also i bought live Fiji rock and theese are nearly black color. I think thats coralline alg ? Is it ? 

You can see  branch rocks corner of the photo. 

Thank you :) 

EAAE10B8-EBE7-4CE3-9DE9-A2A01A424EF1.thumb.jpeg.fd8a43743dc3fdc3fbe0aca4114e7ec1.jpegA81D4C29-DD58-4771-B532-A52A159B808F.thumb.jpeg.ad492266a2a6055bb106cb2c602da3be.jpeg

Cleaning it won't harm coraline. It looks like pest algae but could be some coraline in there too.. Coraline algae will be calcified and hard. Even if you chip coraline off... It will just spread that way as particles disperse and end up elsewhere. 

Yes you should do a lot of cleaning in a nano. Once algae is under control it will not need as much work. 

It is a benefit to having a nano... Very easy to spot clean. 

I believe @Clown79 has made or posted on a thread about maintenance on his tanks... I remember because he does a lot! Maybe he can come share. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Cleaning it won't harm coraline. It looks like pest algae but could be some coraline in there too.. Coraline algae will be calcified and hard. Even if you chip coraline off... It will just spread that way as particles disperse and end up elsewhere. 

Yes you should do a lot of cleaning in a nano. Once algae is under control it will not need as much work. 

It is a benefit to having a nano... Very easy to spot clean. 

I believe @Clown79 has made or posted on a thread about maintenance on his tanks... I remember because he does a lot! Maybe he can come share. 

I did post a thread for new hobbiests to get an idea of what most of us do to maintain our tanks.

://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/384790-tips-to-a-healthy-reef-tank-lets-share/

56 minutes ago, Berkay said:

Wow ? i didnot think like that but now, ım happy ? because i dont know to most of people clean like that .. 

i scared because , ıf i dont touch sand or rocks , first little green algae seen but after 7-8 days this colour getting darker so i wonder is it cyano or other bad things.          or not ... 

and also someone say to me , dont toch algae whatever because after 20-30 days it will become coralline alg. But ım not sure is that nice type of algae. Im adding picture for you. Can you comment algae type with your tank and yours... 

also i bought live Fiji rock and theese are nearly black color. I think thats coralline alg ? Is it ? 

You can see  branch rocks corner of the photo. 

Thank you :) 

EAAE10B8-EBE7-4CE3-9DE9-A2A01A424EF1.thumb.jpeg.fd8a43743dc3fdc3fbe0aca4114e7ec1.jpegA81D4C29-DD58-4771-B532-A52A159B808F.thumb.jpeg.ad492266a2a6055bb106cb2c602da3be.jpeg

The reason why your nitrates are 0 is because of the algae. It's using it so the tests are inaccurate.

Phosphates should be tested with salifert or Hanna checker test kits. It's usually a main cause of algae.

That doesn't look like coralline.

Could be a cyano or even beginnings of gha.

It's not a good algae and leaving pest algae doesn't turn to coralline. Thats a falsehood.

Manual cleaning is important. Letting things go just leads to problems.

Personally like others here, my sand is vacuumed with every water change. I have snails and hermits but I don't rely on them to do all the job. Its a team effort.

I use a turkey baster to blast rocks of any detritus.

I use filter floss, granulated carbon, and purigen for filter media.

Floss collects particles and it's changed 2-3 times a week for a new piece. 

Carbon changed every 2 - 3 weeks

Purigen changed when Brown

You need to start doing more maintenance or the algae issues will get out of control.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You need to start doing more maintenance or the algae issues will get out of control.

?? ı understand what you mean. So my workplan is, first siphone sand which has algae on them , but before i will use old teethbrush for clean rocks. So this cloudy water will go down on tank. I will do this without any flow. I will cut the energy. After siphone water on the sand. I will clean the sand with my hand and Ro water. After put it tank again. After that , i will use the biodigest for clean the system. I hope nitrate and phosphate wont be 0. And i will use carbon in a sock. Put in sump. 

What do you mean thats not so similar to coralline alg ? For which one ? For fijis or for the other rocks ? 

I place the fijis in the tank for support the system with bacteria. Or should i put it in sump ? My tank include near sump. Thats 16 gallons total. 

This Plan is accurate or not ? 

If you agree with me i will do tomorrow all this stages. 

And note i think bioptim shouldnt be use  in the tank only biodigest is enough ! 

Thank you again :)  

image.jpg

Salifert phosphate test results; 

i think that shows 0 what do you think ? 

And can you look for ph value. 

95D30EDB-C401-46CE-BAF5-551BF5E18E79.thumb.jpeg.a23add3e67ac60f41201a37e64f40611.jpegA3F106D0-1902-4747-831A-93966A2CF19A.thumb.jpeg.e6ab35384080fede884f77076a0729eb.jpeg

Other parameters ; 

kh 9 

nitrite 0 

ammonia 0 

nitrat 2 

salt 1026 

EF973293-5583-446A-924C-7D65D716F53A.jpeg

lol, you can put the rock in sump or display, whatever you like best. Keep it clean and free of debris wherever you put it. 

you won't be able to scrub off coraline easily with a toothbrush so don't worry about it and clean up what you can. Just get some snails that will crawl on those rocks and clean up your sand bed already! :) 

PO4 and Nitrate won't be accurate, algae will use what is available in the water quickly and make the test kit 0.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Just get some snails that will crawl

hmm,i think you missed something. My biggest problem is dying conches. When i buy conches, it is working 20 hours and it goes to dead sleeping. I tried 10... I cant understand why ... So snails are more sensitive for conches. May be little cupper in the water, i cant think other options. All parameters are near PERFECT... 

17 minutes ago, Berkay said:

hmm,i think you missed something. My biggest problem is dying conches. When i buy conches, it is working 20 hours and it goes to dead sleeping. I tried 10... I cant understand why ... So snails are more sensitive for conches. May be little cupper in the water, i cant think other options. All parameters are near PERFECT... 

Conches require a lot of food.

They don't do well in nano tanks as there isn't enough food for them and especially not in a new system.

They also work in the sand bed. You need snails that clean rockwork/glass.

What's your water source? Copper would enter the system if you are using tap, RO water, or added copper yourself.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Coaches require a lot of food.

They don't do well in nano tanks as there isn't enough food for them and especially not in a new system.

They also work in the sand bed. You need snails that clean rockwork/glass.

What's your water source? Copper would enter the system if you are using tap, RO water, or added copper yourself.

I said this earlier but for some reason he refuses to believe it. Of course if they’re dying within 24 hours there’s something bigger going on. What kills me is that he just keeps putting more and more in there and killing them thinking there’s going to be a different outcome. I think that’s the definition of something isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, nicholc2 said:

I said this earlier but for some reason he refuses to believe it. Of course if they’re dying within 24 hours there’s something bigger going on. What kills me is that he just keeps putting more and more in there and killing them thinking there’s going to be a different outcome. I think that’s the definition of something isn’t it?

I must have missed that...lots to read.lol.

I wouldn't add conches. 2 snails at most in a new tank.

I also wouldn't add any product to remove the algae 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, nicholc2 said:

some reason

Firstly , ım not regretting. You are right but you dont want to understand something , sands are full of diatoms and al type of algaes. When conches come it cleaning and eating this , sands turn its orginal color but when conch stops sands full of with algae again ! 

11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

2 snails

If conches die in this case with starving , snails would die. Because same algae and same diatom on rocks ? 

Isnt  it ? 

Im using RO water , i changed silicate Fiter a few days ago. Thats 5 level Ro device. 

1 hour ago, Berkay said:

Firstly , ım not regretting. You are right but you dont want to understand something , sands are full of diatoms and al type of algaes. When conches come it cleaning and eating this , sands turn its orginal color but when conch stops sands full of with algae again ! 

If conches die in this case with starving , snails would die. Because same algae and same diatom on rocks ? 

Isnt  it ? 

Im using RO water , i changed silicate Fiter a few days ago. Thats 5 level Ro device. 

Snails require less food than conch. So same amount of food might be ok for snails but not enough for a conch. 

• Like 1

No more conches. I would try a regular snail or two and see what happens. Conches are not appropriate for a small tank (ONE at most). Other snails are appropriate, they are both snails but have DIFFERENT requirements and sensitivities. 

What do you use to check your salinity? Inverts are sensitive to salinity changes/low salinity. 

Where did you buy your rock from? If it was ever exposed to copper, it can leach it back into the water. 

Those are the two most obvious possible problems off the top of my head.

13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Where did you buy your rock from? If it was ever exposed to copper, it can leach it back into the water. 

I bought rocks from lfs. But in the new setup , ı killed  it with vinegar and carbonate. Then use Ro for steady it. I dont think rocks are problem. Sand is carib sea special grade. 

Conches are living. I saw its eyes and get closer to them . It hided when i get close. But no moving and eating anythink. 

I will try turbo snail a week later. 

And i found sea hare-dolabella on the other lfs. But thats quite high Price and i think it seems ugly for a 70 liters Nano. ... 

ım not sure dolabella will work like snail and conches. 

14 hours ago, nicholc2 said:

amount of food might be ok for snails but not enough for a conch. 

Ok maybe you are right. But ı tried because my first setup , at same tank and same litrage ... conches are very happy and getting more bigger size dağ by day. Also i got 5 conches which are very happy. They lived 7 month without stopping. They died after ammonia bloom. 

Also im checking saltinity with refractometer which measures Ro water for 0 value , ıt now shows 1025 for Aquarium. Maybe ph can be problem for conches but i think 7.7-8.2 are not very big problem for a tank. 

Salt is reef crystals.