Cultivated Reef

Diatom bloom started. Should i use prodibio ?

Berkay

no sea hare, again not appropriate. If you look around at tanks here, you wont find many with conches or any with sea hares. We don't keep them because they will likely die. Turbos are also large and I would only add one turbo. 

pH is fine for a conch or anything really. 

Can you get smaller snails there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

no sea hare, again not appropriate. If you look around at tanks here, you wont find many with conches or any with sea hares. We don't keep them because they will likely die. Turbos are also large and I would only add one turbo. 

pH is fine for a conch or anything really. 

Can you get smaller snails there?

Most likely no , i asked lfs. In the other countries very different kinds and variables are able. But in here theese different and little ones are same price with turbo snail. So people prefer turbo snail. Also thats expensive too. A turbo snail is x4 times expensive than a conch. :) 

dolabella is x15 times expensive than a conch. 

Sometimes bumblebeee conch or snail i dont know. But i havent got idea about that species. And one of them walking under the sand but thats snail too. 

But turbo snail cant walk and work on sand is that true ? 

I didn't realize the huge price difference. Here you can buy a snail for around 50 cents to 90 cents but a conch will cost you 8-10 dollars. 

The thing that sucks about turbos is they can't flip themselves back over. So if they fall off a rock and you don't find the snail in time, it will die.

None will clean the sand as well as a conch does, conch is pretty much specialized to do so. However most of us here just manually keep our sand clean, snails are helpers but we don't rely on them. Bigger tanks rely more on algae eaters, conches, tangs, ect. but the smaller tanks we do our own gardening.

What about hermits? Some people hate them but I find keeping 2-3 helpful. They will eat a snail that gets flipped over though. If they are cheap, maybe it would be worth buying one of them instead as I am curious to see if only conches are affected or all inverts. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

What about hermits?

In my country, hermits have banned by government. Hermit type all livings like shrimps vs ... because there is high tax for living orders from the out of country. Someone try to get Aquarium shrimps like eating shrimp. And that realized so They banned trade this animals. So we cant find hermit and shrimp. But ı got 3 blue leg hermit last setup. They are very crazy. One of my predator blue leg hermit eat my snowflake percula. 

Someone dont believe but i believe this. It hosted mushroom on the sand. And most likely hermit go and take this percula. ... 

conches are 5₺ 

turbo snail 20₺ 

dolabella 150₺ 

hermits are 40₺ 

Sorry wrong unit; 

editting; 3.8₺=1$

I love hallowen hermit but in here thats not possible ... never saw and wont be see anytime:/ 

On 21.03.2018 at 6:02 PM, Tamberav said:

If you look around at tanks here, you wont find many with conches or any with sea hares.

Hi again. What do you know about sea urchin types. Two type available in here. Is that a better option for dolabella ? 

Can it clean the sand ? 

Also ı dont think because this can drop frags or little corals:/ 

The problem is not ph.

You have multiple people telling you that conches aren't appropriate for small tanks and your tank is new, providing very little food source.

That's the problem. The conch itself.

You should have nassarius snails, trochus, ceriths, spiny stars. 

Not all snails eat the same foods.

Conches feed mostly on detritus, meats, and some algae.

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That's the problem.

image.thumb.jpg.c7ae9715d964d913e60afb539a43915e.jpg

what do you think for this photo of tank. This type of colorition is dangerous or not  ?   Is that basic phase algaes ? 

Sea urchin stopped like conches. So ı think there is some different think on water which cause laziness on this cuc. 

6 minutes ago, Berkay said:

image.thumb.jpg.c7ae9715d964d913e60afb539a43915e.jpg

what do you think for this photo of tank. This type of colorition is dangerous or not  ?   Is that basic phase algaes ? 

Sea urchin stopped like conches. So ı think there is some different think on water which cause laziness on this cuc. 

Your tank is too new for things like urchins and conches.

Urchins are notorious for dying in nano's.

You need to start researching livestock before adding it. 

Forums are full of info, do searches. Start reading. 

We told you that the algae in the sand is due to nutrients and you not cleaning it. 

37 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

We told you that the algae in the sand is due to nutrients and you not cleaning it. 

Firstly , a week ago , i syphone my upper  sand bad. Than cleaned and put it again.  And cleaned all rocks  with toothbrush. 

Thats 7. Day. Should i do this again ? 

Thats tiring think for do all time. 

Isnt it ? 

Im cleaning rocks with toothbrus. For example i cleaned 3 days ago with toothbrush. 

Should i do that every 3 days. 

How frequently do you clean with toothbrush. ? 

And this way is right for clean the sand or not ? 

And have you got any experiences with old test kits. Like exp date 04/2017 nitrate test kıt. 

That kıt says me 2 ppm nitrate but Is There a 80-90 nitrates possible ? 

Did you drip acclimate the urchin? 

I clean my sand bed once a week but I don't need to scrub my rocks at this point but I have access to a large variety of snails. I have manually removed algae in the past after the cycle through. 

• Like 1