Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New IM EXT announced

mitten_reef

6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I realize that an EXT system would not actually not more expensive than most other lines like Red Sea or WaterBox.... $600 for the 50 gallon and $500 for the stand leaves $350 for a sump. Same price as other 50 gallon sumped systems, and you can make your own stand and save hundreds. Plus EXTERNAL OVERFLOW! ?

I would prefer plumbing it myself and having customization; the Red Sea plumbing is silent but had nothing for reactors. 

Send me a shallow 25 lagoon one @Marine Depot, I’ll plumb it into the reefer and have a frag growout! ?

i prefer the custom plumbing. though not much space to plumb for reactors under my tank haha.

11 minutes ago, Marine Depot said:

I just chatted the link over to IM. I think they'll be delighted. It's so nice!

Ohhh nice. i wonder if they will like it.

mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I realize that an EXT system would not actually not more expensive than most other lines like Red Sea or WaterBox.... $600 for the 50 gallon and $500 for the stand leaves $350 for a sump. Same price as other 50 gallon sumped systems, and you can make your own stand and save hundreds. Plus EXTERNAL OVERFLOW! ?

I would prefer plumbing it myself and having customization; the Red Sea plumbing is silent but had nothing for reactors. 

So what you're saying is that if I wanna go EXT, I need to get the 50 for the best value.  Got it!  :D

PS. earlier debate was between the 40 EXT vs RSR170, because it was the only advertised value at that time.  So this 50 EXT price analysis just upped the game a bit :P.

I love the informed, fact-based, experience-based discussions we're all having on this one guys, keep 'em coming.  

• 2 weeks later...

They are actually somewhat in the realm of custom, starphyre tanks with similar overflows price wise. I would say you'll probably get a cleaner tank going this route than custom, for the price. The only downsides for me that would still make me go custom for a nano tank are:

• no bean-animal support with a wider external overflow and weir
  • acrylic insert vs smoked glass rear panel

That said, I still think these really make great ancillary tanks to add to an existing setup with a shared sump. Be they used for frag tanks, nano themes or something species specific like seahorses, rockflowers, etc. That shared water volume eliminates like 95% of the problems with a nano tank. I may even pick up one of these lagoon 25's eventually if my rockflower obsession starts to take over.

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Based on my IM email, it looks like MD got the allotment from IM to give away EXT 50!!!  I'd love to win one!  My tank is already crowded again, would love to try my hands at a sump system! 

But I can't find the giveaway post on MD's FB.  @Marine Depot share the link here?   

• Like 3
Marine Depot
9 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Based on my IM email, it looks like MD got the allotment from IM to give away EXT 50!!!  I'd love to win one!  My tank is already crowded again, would love to try my hands at a sump system! 

But I can't find the giveaway post on MD's FB.  @Marine Depot share the link here?   

Here ya go: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered the IM Nuvo EXT 50 with stand to replace my CadLights 40.  Very excited to not have an internal overflow!  Maybe I'll get it by next weekend.  Thank you Marine Depot!

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Received my order from Marine Depot yesterday.  It is the Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50 and the APS aluminum stand.  I'm very happy to say that all was received in perfect condition!  Here are a few pics how how the shipping looks.

The two items on the pallet with the cellophane removed.  The truck driver allowed me to open the top of the box to inspect for any damage to the aquarium.

IM01.thumb.jpg.fd82d5075425279f8f3de701f8d99ac2.jpg

With the boxes inside, here's what it looks like with the packing material.  It did a good job protecting the tank.

IM02.thumb.jpg.b1b5249868cfa4ad0ea9975dca473bff.jpg

With the top layer of packing removed.  I thought it was interesting to see that the tank ships on it's front side, and not on the bottom.  I guess this better protects the overflow box.

IM03.thumb.jpg.c7e67078ee56d372c686a695bc7e9e6b.jpg

Rotating the box 90 degrees, the tank slides out easily.

IM04.thumb.jpg.b25c43c9cd9feffca56880241dd7c188.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics of this Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50.

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
28 minutes ago, JimVision said:

Received my order from Marine Depot yesterday.  It is the Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50 and the APS aluminum stand.  I'm very happy to say that all was received in perfect condition!  Here are a few pics how how the shipping looks.

The two items on the pallet with the cellophane removed.  The truck driver allowed me to open the top of the box to inspect for any damage to the aquarium.

IM01.thumb.jpg.fd82d5075425279f8f3de701f8d99ac2.jpg

With the boxes inside, here's what it looks like with the packing material.  It did a good job protecting the tank.

IM02.thumb.jpg.b1b5249868cfa4ad0ea9975dca473bff.jpg

With the top layer of packing removed.  I thought it was interesting to see that the tank ships on it's front side, and not on the bottom.  I guess this better protects the overflow box.

IM03.thumb.jpg.c7e67078ee56d372c686a695bc7e9e6b.jpg

Rotating the box 90 degrees, the tank slides out easily.

IM04.thumb.jpg.b25c43c9cd9feffca56880241dd7c188.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics of this Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50.

Cheers!

Jim

Man, that looks awesome, I want one.  

@Marine Depot, what do i have to do to "win the contest"?   ;)fingerscrossed:D 

Here are a few more pics of the Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50 and the assembled APS stand.

The tank showing the overflow from the inside.  The protective paper was easy to remove.  The self leveling pad is on the bottom of the tank.

IM05.thumb.jpg.f15f82953ecf18c76b2ecfb1b6cfe85b.jpg

The APS aluminum stand was easy to assemble.  I have not yet removed the protective side plastic.  I have to say, I feel very confident about this stand.  More so than any other compress wood stand than I have ever had before.  This APS stand is solid!  This shot does not show the doors in place.  You can see the box it came in behind the stand.

IM06.thumb.jpg.3207444c52ec164b1a99bd1f9c9535f8.jpg

The only criticism I have about the APS stand is the PVC board that goes into the bottom where the sump goes.  It's kind of bendy.  I found some left over half inch pink foam insulation I had in the basement and placed it under the board.  It really reinforces the PVC board.  This pic shows how the pink foam just lays in place. A low tech simple solution.  I'll be using a Trigger 18" square sump. 

IM07.thumb.jpg.a1644e0cc324f2b6bfcae339c4217447.jpg

An interior shot with the doors on.

IM08.thumb.jpg.3de12f5a6a8ed82dae80d8deb3631da7.jpg

I'll start the plumbing over the weekend.  Man this is fun!  So exciting.

Thank you Marine Depot and Innovative Marine!

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 5
Marine Depot
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Man, that looks awesome, I want one.  

@Marine Depot, what do i have to do to "win the contest"?   ;)fingerscrossed:D 

Winners were announced about 9 days ago, so hopefully your face is pictured here.

We currently have a contest going on our site for a Somatic 90 sump bundle if you are interested! Just shop the site for a few minutes and you'll probably get a prompt for it.

After that, an algae reactor, another sump, calcium checker, supplements ... :D

34 minutes ago, JimVision said:

Here are a few more pics of the Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50 and the assembled APS stand.

The tank showing the overflow from the inside.  The protective paper was easy to remove.  The self leveling pad is on the bottom of the tank.

IM05.thumb.jpg.f15f82953ecf18c76b2ecfb1b6cfe85b.jpg

The APS aluminum stand was easy to assemble.  I have not yet removed the protective side plastic.  I have to say, I feel very confident about this stand.  More so than any other compress wood stand than I have ever had before.  This APS stand is solid!  This shot does not show the doors in place.  You can see the box it came in behind the stand.

IM06.thumb.jpg.3207444c52ec164b1a99bd1f9c9535f8.jpg

The only criticism I have about the APS stand is the PVC board that goes into the bottom where the sump goes.  It's kind of bendy.  I found some left over half inch pink foam insulation I had in the basement and placed it under the board.  It really reinforces the PVC board.  This pic shows how the pink foam just lays in place. A low tech simple solution.  I'll be using a Trigger 18" square sump. 

IM07.thumb.jpg.a1644e0cc324f2b6bfcae339c4217447.jpg

An interior shot with the doors on.

IM08.thumb.jpg.3de12f5a6a8ed82dae80d8deb3631da7.jpg

I'll start the plumbing over the weekend.  Man this is fun!  So exciting.

Thank you Marine Depot and Innovative Marine!

Cheers!

Jim

Looks awesome! Love those APS stands. Game changer!

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how people mount stuff in these stands.... With all of the controllers these days, it seems like you need somewhere to attach things. 

• Like 1
Marine Depot
47 minutes ago, natedogg said:

I'm curious to see how people mount stuff in these stands.... With all of the controllers these days, it seems like you need somewhere to attach things. 

We created a controller board for an APS stand in this video:

• Like 1
HarryPotter

@Marine Depot why do you guys recommend that the heater goes in the return chamber? I was under the impression that it is dangerous to do so because if it runs dry the heater will significantly overheat......

Marine Depot
29 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

@Marine Depot why do you guys recommend that the heater goes in the return chamber? I was under the impression that it is dangerous to do so because if it runs dry the heater will significantly overheat......

Thanks for the inquiry and you do have a great point here as it is risky if you let the water level run low but doing that also puts your tank inhabitants and all your other equipment at risk. In other words, don't ever let it run dry and you have nothing to worry about.   

It is certainly situational as well depending on all of the other equipment you decide to use.  If you have the room, the heater can really go anywhere that it fits.  We only showed it this way because we filled the other chambers with equipment.

-Robert @ MD

• Like 2
HarryPotter
48 minutes ago, Marine Depot said:

Thanks for the inquiry and you do have a great point here as it is risky if you let the water level run low but doing that also puts your tank inhabitants and all your other equipment at risk. In other words, don't ever let it run dry and you have nothing to worry about.   

It is certainly situational as well depending on all of the other equipment you decide to use.  If you have the room, the heater can really go anywhere that it fits.  We only showed it this way because we filled the other chambers with equipment.

-Robert @ MD

It is not the same risk as a little return pump running dry in my opinion. If the return pump runs dry you’ll get bubbles or no flow to the display. Not optimal-the pump might break- but not dangerous in terms of a fire/glass/chemicals. A heater that is not submerged typically (not even rarely) melts or shatters. 

If you have an ATO and never make mistakes with refilling it, it won’t be an issue. But people aren’t perfect. I wouldn’t advocate to  put it into a return chamber- to minimize risks as well as the liability involved. Someone could watch the video and put a heater there, forgot to top off and have a fire/meltdown. IMO, some sort of disclaimer should mention that it was your only option and that it is not recommended. Just my 10 cents :) 

Quick PVC pipe into the sump question.  This is about the drain pipe on a Herbie overflow box (not the emergency pipe).

Is it common to actually cement the PVC pipe into the sump ABS intake pipe?  Or is it better not to glue that and just push the pipe in so that it could be removable at a later time?

CRYS18C_MAIN.png.95e9b497d675ae53dd77320bd7032df9.pngThe intake pipe on the left in this image.  This is the sump I'm using on my Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50.

Cheers!

Jim

Marine Depot
34 minutes ago, JimVision said:

Quick PVC pipe into the sump question.  This is about the drain pipe on a Herbie overflow box (not the emergency pipe).

Is it common to actually cement the PVC pipe into the sump ABS intake pipe?  Or is it better not to glue that and just push the pipe in so that it could be removable at a later time?

CRYS18C_MAIN.png.95e9b497d675ae53dd77320bd7032df9.pngThe intake pipe on the left in this image.  This is the sump I'm using on my Nuvo EXT Lagoon 50.

Cheers!

Jim

@JimVision Generally I will not glue this connection simply because the drain line is not pressurized and pressure fitting should be fine.  However, there are some exceptions here; if the drain tubing comes in at a weird angle and has a tendency to come loose, I would glue it or add a hose barb with a clamp.  If you plan on running a very high flow through rate for whatever reason, this may also be a good reason to glue/secure it.

Personally, I like the Flexible PVC and this stuff will twist snugly into the PVC coupling with minimal risk of coming loose.  If you are using a Rigid PVC Pipe, just be sure the pipe naturally sets strait into the coupling.  This way if you are working under the tank and accidentally bump the drain line, it won't come loose.

-Robert @ MD

Testing the tank, sump, and plumbing for leaks.  Happy to say all is water tight!  The Vectra pump is working well.

Testing with plain tap water.

Front.thumb.jpg.407fab6730e5b4565da5228f68161706.jpg

Plumbing.  Mostly PVC schedule 40, except the gate valve which is schedule 80.

Piping.thumb.jpg.bac20c4230bb749ad67266f517cd15eb.jpg

The Overflow Box.  It's really quiet.

OverflowBox.thumb.jpg.f1e62e49162c47e5e8c3df6b8a18d84a.jpg

The 18" square Trigger sump.

TriggerSump.thumb.jpg.ee3a05d6c4eda0a3f46714b3d435bc91.jpg

I'll test it for a day.

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 4

My IM Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon is almost done.  All critters transferred.  I'm very pleased with this new setup.

One last question.  I had two Kessil LED 360 Wides on my prior 40 gallon tank, which was a longer tank.  But now I'm debating if two lights are required on my new Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon, because it's not as wide.  It's more lagoonie.  Is lagoonie a word?  lol

One Kessil 360W light?  Or two Kessil 360W lights?  See photo below.  (tank demissions: 30" wide, by 24" front-to-back, by 16" deep)

Nuvo50Lagoon.thumb.jpg.7860281fb0e07f2a688af0620401a665.jpg

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 3
On 4/30/2018 at 7:44 AM, JimVision said:

My IM Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon is almost done.  All critters transferred.  I'm very pleased with this new setup.

One last question.  I had two Kessil LED 360 Wides on my prior 40 gallon tank, which was a longer tank.  But now I'm debating if two lights are required on my new Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon, because it's not as wide.  It's more lagoonie.  Is lagoonie a word?  lol

One Kessil 360W light?  Or two Kessil 360W lights?  See photo below.  (tank demissions: 30" wide, by 24" front-to-back, by 16" deep)

Cheers!

Jim

With your aquascaping, you could probably get away with one. Do you happen to know anybody with a PAR meter?? That would help. 

DaveFason
On 4/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, JimVision said:

Cheers!

Jim

Stick with two. 

JimVision

Someone had asked how controllers could be attached inside the Nuvo APS cabinet.  I used the 3M double sided picture hanger stick on things.  Rated for 20 lbs.

Seems to work fine.

4ECFAE33-04C7-41A6-AADE-68ACD1DB084B.thumb.jpeg.b64d660b23d3dec3533a69558458b8b1.jpeg

Jim

• Like 1