inTank Media Baskets

New IM EXT announced

mitten_reef

This could be a game changer for IM.

Can this help them recapture/keep the ppl that might move away from their AIO for the full sump system, like Red Sea Reefer or Cadlight? 

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-EXT.html

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/20/nuvo-ext-updates-innovative-marines-tanks-external-overflow/

also a nice lil frag tank on RB. 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

This could be a game changer for IM.

Can this help them recapture/keep the ppl that might move away from their AIO for the full sump system, like Red Sea Reefer or Cadlight? 

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-EXT.html

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/20/nuvo-ext-updates-innovative-marines-tanks-external-overflow/

also a nice lil frag tank on RB. 

I knowww I’m actually excited about this! 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

So it’s cool that it DOESNT lock you to a sump or anything, but hopefully it will be priced accordingly, leaving like 2 or 3 hundred to buy a sump. 

Still doesn’t compare to the Red Sea Reefer IMO. 

• Like 2

Very cool! I am debating setting up a IM 25 Lagoon tank but would be curious about the price on this. I feel like they build nice affordable tanks, part of why we see so many on these forums. I love the red sea tanks but out of my league atm.... ofc a few years ago I was using petco dollar per gallon and free tanks people didn't want... movin' on up! :lol: Red Sea in a couple years maybe...

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

I haven’t looked into the details regarding glass quality and thickness. It could be a good drill free solution for those who want a smaller tank with a sump. Completely depends on price and quality I think

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I knowww I’m actually excited about this! 

Me too, it will certainly be an option to look at  for my next tank. I looked at and wanted to get their lagoon 50 this year, but didn’t like the back chamber layout - ended up with 30 long. 

42 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

Like Harry said, the price has gotta be right for this to work well, to account for a sump AND a stand. Otherwise, RSR is the definitely the one setting the bar for me for sure. 

40 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Very cool! I am debating setting up a IM 25 Lagoon tank but would be curious about the price on this. I feel like they build nice affordable tanks, part of why we see so many on these forums. I love the red sea tanks but out of my league atm.... ofc a few years ago I was using petco dollar per gallon and free tanks people didn't want... movin' on up! :lol: Red Sea in a couple years maybe...

? similar progression of tanks here. 

• Like 1

I can see this also as an extension to those that already have a larger tank and sump, but can now easily add a "nano" tank / frag tank to the system. Say I'm running a 120 gallon, with a typical 40-60 gallon sump and want to do a nice looking (IM tanks do look nice imo) seahorse tank, or mini carpet, or other delicate / dangerous species that don't mix in a community - bam. All that water volume for stability and little equipment duplication, while keeping the nano profile. The only improvement I'd like to see is a three-hole bean-animal variant with a wider wier, but hey, personal preference.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't come out with an acrylic sump line as well to tie into this, though given their acrylic work quality with accessories, perhaps that's best left to other industry players.

• Like 2

I want to say these all work with the ACS stand line. Which will work perfect! However the bottom of the stands need an extra brace to support the sump. 

Seriously considering swapping my Red Sea for one of the 40 or 50's...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I want to say these all work with the ACS stand line. Which will work perfect! However the bottom of the stands need an extra brace to support the sump. 

Seriously considering swapping my Red Sea for one of the 40 or 50's...

Looks like the exact stripped down versions of their Fusion line, as opposed to modified Nuvo Black.  But either ways, they do look like they would work with the APS stands. You just have to do some creative plumbing work to bring the everything underneath from the external overflow.  Just looked, and the stand and plumbing mock-up's are shown on IM website - exactly how I imagined it would work.  

@DaveFason trade in your Fusion 40 setup for the 50 EXT!!!

@Marine Depot Have you guys got a preview of this yet? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Looks like the exact stripped down versions of their Fusion line, as opposed to modified Nuvo Black.  But either ways, they do look like they would work with the APS stands. You just have to do some creative plumbing work to bring the everything underneath from the external overflow.  Just looked, and the stand and plumbing mock-up's are shown on IM website - exactly how I imagined it would work.  

@DaveFason trade in your Fusion 40 setup for the 50 EXT!!!

@Marine Depot Have you guys got a preview of this yet? 

I have confirmed we'll be putting up the tanks today, although we won't begin accepting pre-orders until we can confirm how many of each tank we'll be allotted in Innovative Marine's first shipment. So photos, descriptions, etc. will be on MD shortly! Keep your eyes open for an awesome release video soon from IM. 

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 4
mitten_reef
On 3/1/2018 at 12:46 PM, Marine Depot said:

Reefbuilders-EXT-Giveaway.jpg

$950 value?  What was/is IM thinking?  Not including sump?  And the provided plumbing sounds very limited to just a few pipes for stubbing out the overflow box?  (https://reefbuilders.com/2018/03/02/innovative-marine-nuvo-ext-40-aquarium-giveaway/

I guess if someone REALLY wants that open, unimpeded real estate on the tank floor - it might just be the only option. 

But for my money, I can get RSR 170 for $995.  And it comes with a very nice sump, a seem-to-be well thought-through plumbing system.  It also has the exact same display dimension, even though the rated volume on RSR-170 is 34 gallon.  And that "German engineering" cachet. 

I wish @schgr.cube is still as active as he used to be and maybe he can give a bit more of his long-term review of the APS stand.  I've seen RSR stand in-person at the LFS, and was blown away on the fit & finishes that Red Sea put into their stand.  Can't say I'm as impressed with APS, based on video reviews that I've seen. 

All conjectures of course, as I don't own, and never have seen either of the systems side-by-side.

What do others think about the advertised value of this IM system?

• Like 1

Anyone else notice that on the IM website in the banner photo for the EXT line the live rock spells Nordic? Is there something I'm missing?

NUVO EXT

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
burtbollinger
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Reefbuilders-EXT-Giveaway.jpg

$950 value?  What was/is IM thinking?  Not including sump?  And the provided plumbing sounds very limited to just a few pipes for stubbing out the overflow box?  (https://reefbuilders.com/2018/03/02/innovative-marine-nuvo-ext-40-aquarium-giveaway/

I guess if someone REALLY wants that open, unimpeded real estate on the tank floor - it might just be the only option. 

But for my money, I can get RSR 170 for $995.  And it comes with a very nice sump, a seem-to-be well thought-through plumbing system.  It also has the exact same display dimension, even though the rated volume on RSR-170 is 34 gallon.  And that "German engineering" cachet. 

I wish @schgr.cube is still as active as he used to be and maybe he can give a bit more of his long-term review of the APS stand.  I've seen RSR stand in-person at the LFS, and was blown away on the fit & finishes that Red Sea put into their stand.  Can't say I'm as impressed with APS, based on video reviews that I've seen. 

All conjectures of course, as I don't own, and never have seen either of the systems side-by-side.

What do others think about the advertised value of this IM system?

If the tank and stand really comes to 950....and does not include complete plumbing and a sump, then I am in total agreement with you here.

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

I believe I got my APS stand around the same time he did (October). I'm still using the stand for my Lagoon 25 and personally, I really like it. It was easy to put together, sturdy, and I like the doors. I had previously been using a home-built stand that had no doors, was sturdy, but bulky and "ugly". I added my own shelf on the inside, and salt drips wipe down really nice. I'm moving in a month or so, so I'll be able to take the stand apart to move it, and pop it all back together at the new house. I'm anxious to see how well it goes back together! 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, Josh125 said:

Price is up for the 30L - $500 for tank only.  $850 for tank & stand.

Yeah, saw that on MD last night.  I was shocked that it came in above their NUVO Fusion line.  I was expecting something between the Black and the Fusion.  

(I guess I could have done the math when seeing the listed value on RB)

IM tanks appeal to reefers who want something clean looking but also with a budget in mind.

I feel like they are taking advantage of the uniqueness and upping the price game to something higher than I am used to from IM. 

I was hoping it would be around the AIO price gallon per gallon as they are both low iron but one has a built in aio/sump and the other is simply a box on the back with a few pieces of plumbing. 

I don't understand why at this price point it doesn't come with a sump? I'm pretty sure red sea comes with a sump...all plumbing .. And even ato? 

I figured they would skip those extras to bring down the price and let us budget minded collect our own extras... However it seems like this didn't happen. 

• Like 2