Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Livia's Lagoon 25- new clown

Clownnem05

13 minutes ago, vu.dao said:

I'm liking the island. Good job!

It’s kinda funny that everyone likes it cuz I just had to take it down in order to get to the starfish, but now I can’t the rocks  to be stable and was thinking of doing a different scape

18 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Woah I’m so sorry to hear this. ? Have you made any changes recently? 

How are the tanks parameters looking and weekly maintenance schedule? 

Whats the lights schedule?

if it’s a parasite that’s taking your fish down, I think you’ll have to let the tank go fallow for at least 8 weeks. 

If the snails all died at once, they could have ‘nuked’ your water and spiked nutrient levels. I’d probably change out the chemical media and do a 30-45% wc depending on how the other fish are looking. Are the clowns you have looking alright still, if they’re stressed too (not eating, breathing heavy, etc.) id wait for more experienced people to chime in too. 

What at is your water flow like? Is there surface agitation?

I hope things take a turn for the better for you, Livia! 

Also do you have any pics or videos of the wrasse or female clown that passed? 

No changes ther than all the deaths

10% water changes weekly

ammonia- 0 

nitrite-0

nitrate- 5 

alk- 10 dkh

ph- 8.4

CarolinaShoreReef
2 minutes ago, Livia said:

No changes ther than all the deaths

10% water changes weekly

ammonia- 0 

nitrite-0

nitrate- 5 

alk- 10 dkh

ph- 8.4

How long have the snails been in the tank for? 

5 hours ago, Livia said:

Thanks I have been having a really hard time with the tank lately. I have had a number of losses in the past 5 day and can not figure out why. The wrasse started showing signs of what the female clown had and died about 3 days later. All of my snails were eaten by the one hermit crab I still have. The mushroom corals I have have dissipated. Kenya tree coral has died along with a rock flower anemone and my beloved sand sifting starfish. I am at a loss for what is going on with the tank, but hope it will get better soon.

Sand sifting starfish should not be in nano tanks so its death was likely a given. They are not appropriate. Most starfish are not :(

It is possible somethings death cascaded into the other deaths. When I had a crash in my softy tank it was all out chemical warfare/death. I believe it was my kenya tree or clove polyps to go first which then nuked the mushrooms/zoas and the toad which then nuked the green nepthea (I saved that one by fragging and transferring but it was rotting from the base up). What I am saying is these corals are fairly noxious/toxic and just the death of one can really piss off/kill others.

Sucks about the fish :( Unfortunately that is just the risk if you don't run a QT. 

I have used prazipro in reef tanks many times without issue with corals (at recommended dose accounting for displaced water). I am not sure if it would be harmful to corals that are struggling as my mushies would scrunch up and look mad for a day but recover. Metroplex can be used as a fish food soak with a binder (seachem focus) for internal worms. There are resistant strains as always, sometimes you have to end up trying both. A swollen eye could be flukes which prazipro is for as well. Prazipro is not safe for ornamental shrimp or dusters but....honestly my small dusters and bristle worms were unaffected. 

You have to turn off skimming and remove carbon so water quality can take a hit sometimes, always do a water change before treatment and point a powerhead to the surface of the water as it can also lower oxygen.

info and peoples experiances: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

Obviously monitor closely and have spare water and carbon on hand as it is a medication and anything has risks imo. Prime is another one to have around.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a lid on your tank? Be careful if you don't! I would hate to see your wrasse jump. I know a lot of people do not have lids and don't seem to have problems, but I've had 2 clownfish jump (into the back chamber luckily) and lost a watchman goby. The risk is simply too high for me to NOT had a lid. So, just beware! I now have a lid on my tank :P

Just my two cents, but perhaps the new tank isn't able to keep up with the bioload. What kind of filtration are you running... protein skimmer? Reactor, or media in bags/caddies? Water change and maintenance schedule?

I also have a Lagoon 25g and I love it! It's such a fun tank and I really enjoy seeing others setup their Lagoons :)

A Lemonpeel may be a bit big, but I'll let the experts chime in. I do have a Pygmy/Cherub Angelfish and it is doing great! Such a wonderful little fish. I would definitely recommend. 

We all have ups and downs. Last year my tank was in a pretty bad slump but I worked out of it, but it was a stressful few months. I lost almost all of my zoas and had terrible diatoms/cyano. 

Be sure to take it nice and slow. I wonder if your tank just isn't mature enough for all of the inhabitants you had. What do you have in there now? I would not add anything else until things settle and balance. Tamberav has offered great advice.

How is your salinity? Temperature? All your other parameters seem fine. 

17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Sand sifting starfish should not be in nano tanks so its death was likely a given. They are not appropriate. Most starfish are not :(

It is possible somethings death cascaded into the other deaths. When I had a crash in my softy tank it was all out chemical warfare/death. I believe it was my kenya tree or clove polyps to go first which then nuked the mushrooms/zoas and the toad which then nuked the green nepthea (I saved that one by fragging and transferring but it was rotting from the base up). What I am saying is these corals are fairly noxious/toxic and just the death of one can really piss off/kill others.

Sucks about the fish :( Unfortunately that is just the risk if you don't run a QT. 

I have used prazipro in reef tanks many times without issue with corals (at recommended dose accounting for displaced water). I am not sure if it would be harmful to corals that are struggling as my mushies would scrunch up and look mad for a day but recover. Metroplex can be used as a fish food soak with a binder (seachem focus) for internal worms. There are resistant strains as always, sometimes you have to end up trying both. A swollen eye could be flukes which prazipro is for as well. Prazipro is not safe for ornamental shrimp or dusters but....honestly my small dusters and bristle worms were unaffected. 

You have to turn off skimming and remove carbon so water quality can take a hit sometimes, always do a water change before treatment and point a powerhead to the surface of the water as it can also lower oxygen.

info and peoples experiances: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

Obviously monitor closely and have spare water and carbon on hand as it is a medication and anything has risks imo. Prime is another one to have around.

Thanks for the advice I will definitely look into Prazi and I had no idea about the starfish, but just out of curiosity do you know why they do not do well in nano reefs 

17 hours ago, Blue-Man said:

Perchlets are amazing, does it come out much?

It is out quite a bit hunting for pods

12 hours ago, sugar said:

Do you have a lid on your tank? Be careful if you don't! I would hate to see your wrasse jump. I know a lot of people do not have lids and don't seem to have problems, but I've had 2 clownfish jump (into the back chamber luckily) and lost a watchman goby. The risk is simply too high for me to NOT had a lid. So, just beware! I now have a lid on my tank :P

Just my two cents, but perhaps the new tank isn't able to keep up with the bioload. What kind of filtration are you running... protein skimmer? Reactor, or media in bags/caddies? Water change and maintenance schedule?

I also have a Lagoon 25g and I love it! It's such a fun tank and I really enjoy seeing others setup their Lagoons :)

A Lemonpeel may be a bit big, but I'll let the experts chime in. I do have a Pygmy/Cherub Angelfish and it is doing great! Such a wonderful little fish. I would definitely recommend. 

We all have ups and downs. Last year my tank was in a pretty bad slump but I worked out of it, but it was a stressful few months. I lost almost all of my zoas and had terrible diatoms/cyano. 

Be sure to take it nice and slow. I wonder if your tank just isn't mature enough for all of the inhabitants you had. What do you have in there now? I would not add anything else until things settle and balance. Tamberav has offered great advice.

How is your salinity? Temperature? All your other parameters seem fine. 

I lost the wrasse, but I did have a lid

I run chemo-pure and purigen, and a protein scimmer

I have the clowns and the pellet and 2 acans and the only thing I plan on adding in the future is more coral and maybe a cleaner shrimp once the tank is back to being ok

salinity- 1.025 temperature is at 78 

I also want to say thanks for all the advice I have been given, hopefully with all your help I can get the tank back on track 

• Like 1

When in doubt... water changes.  Frequent, small water changes and patience sometimes is the best medicine.  When we start making drastic changes and don't let the tank catch up, that's when we really get in trouble.  I know very well how discouraging this hobby can be.  I hope this is just a rough patch for you and things look up soon!  I think they will :)

2 hours ago, sugar said:

When in doubt... water changes.  Frequent, small water changes and patience sometimes is the best medicine.  When we start making drastic changes and don't let the tank catch up, that's when we really get in trouble.  I know very well how discouraging this hobby can be.  I hope this is just a rough patch for you and things look up soon!  I think they will :)

Thanks, I sure hope so 

Sandsifting starfish do best in established tanks with large sand beds to feed on. They are sensative so a small young rank is risky. 

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Sandsifting starfish do best in established tanks with large sand beds to feed on. They are sensative so a small young rank is risky. 

Thank you I have now learned my lesson, I wish I would have known that sooner instead of accidentally killing my starfish  

I started feeding the clowns medicated food that supposedly helps with internal parasites, so if everything goes as planned they should be in the clear within about a week 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
6 minutes ago, Livia said:

I started feeding the clowns medicated food that supposedly helps with internal parasites, so if everything goes as planned they should be in the clear within about a week 

Are they still behaving weirdly? I think it’s good that they’re still eating though. 

1 minute ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Are they still behaving weirdly? I think it’s good that they’re still eating though. 

The male had just a little bit white thin poop so I wanted to be safe 

CarolinaShoreReef
4 minutes ago, Livia said:

The male had just a little bit white thin poop so I wanted to be safe 

Oh alright I’m not very familiar with that. 

CarolinaShoreReef
3 minutes ago, Livia said:

Just a quick question- what is you/peoples favorite coral food for las and sps? 

I will let others chime as mine don’t get spot fed lol maybe that’ll change. Sometimes I see my tongue plate’s mouths open and I can’t resist so I give him a mysis shrimp as well as when I see the candy canes tentacles out but I generally don’t feed them. 

• Thanks 1

I was wondering how things have been going!  Keep up with the small water changes and things should come around!

Food for LPS/SPS... hmm.  It's funny because they seem to like different things.  The favorite by far, for all corals, seems to be Reef Roids.  I do feed the duncan mysis/brine once a week or so, but the euphyllias don't take meaty foods... though, they will respond to Reef Roids.  Interesting!  The SPS will respond to Roids.  The trumpet/candy cane coral will take mysis/brine/Roids.

Does Reef Roids make a big difference?  For me, nah.  I don't see a vast improvement, or even noticeable.  I do it anyway, once a week or two, for fun and if they get any benefit, then great.  Over-feeding would simply be unnecessary and detrimental, so be very careful with amounts, especially in our small tanks!  It does not take much.