SaltCritters.com

Light schedule for Biocube 32

AshleyH

Hi all,

I have some questions about lighting. I started my 32 G Biocube in October and everything has gone decently well so far. I've never had any aquarium before. I feel that I've grasped most concepts regarding reef keeping, however lighting is an area I can't seem to wrap my head around. Recently our brain coral has been pretty closed (ever since my husband decreased the # of hours the lights are on). It got me thinking the light schedule must be wrong.

I've read to keep all 3 lights on for about 10 hours/day with a ramp up/down of the LC2 (sunrise/sunset) channel and ending with the LC3 (blue) for a few more hours before total darkness. This is not what I've been doing. I had my 2 white lights on for about 8-10hr/day then blue on for another 5 or so at night. 

If anyone has personal experience with their 32 gallon Biocube, which has the 3 different light stages (blue/moonlight, bright white, and color enhancing) LEDs, please share your light schedule if you feel you've had success with coral growth and survival. It would be nice to have a few opinions.

I've been scanning the web for hours and can't seem to find any useful information.

Thanks! 

Ashley

I have the 16 gallon biocube,  but I believe that the light timer is identical.  I've only been running for 4 months but I've seen consistent growth in my corals so I'll share what has worked for me. 

I believe that you will want the blue channel to overlap the white channel because it'll boost the PAR output of the lights.   I've set up my lighting schedule to run as follows:

Lighting Schedule:

LC1 (Daylights):  11:00 am to 7:00 pm

LC2 (Sunrise / Sunset):  10:30 am to 7:00 pm

LC3 (Moon Lights):  7:00 am to Midnight

This gives me 8 hours of main lights which will help with algae on a new tank.  The sunrise will start 30 min before the main lights come on and sunset will run for 30 min after the main lights go off.   Blue lights will run early in the morning and late at night for viewing.   All lights out from 12:30 am until 7 am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I've been slowly increasing my lights this week to the schedule you have, and although I'm never home from work in time to see the full lights, my husband says the coral is looking happier!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a bio cube 32. I’ve been told way too many different things so I’m wondering from your expierneces if it’s still thriving? I just add coral. I’ve been told to not have any lights on for more then 8 hours and also 12. I just changed it to closer to yours.  I’ve been seeming to get more algae and I’m hoping this helps. Please let me know. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Saltyman said:

I have a bio cube 32. I’ve been told way too many different things so I’m wondering from your expierneces if it’s still thriving? I just add coral. I’ve been told to not have any lights on for more then 8 hours and also 12. I just changed it to closer to yours.  I’ve been seeming to get more algae and I’m hoping this helps. Please let me know. Thanks. 

I have the 16 gallon biocube, but I've been running this light schedule for over a year and a half now.   It's worked well for me and I haven't seen any reason to change it since setting it up.   It'll grow anything from softies to some SPS.  

If you are having algae issues you may want to reduce the length of the LC1 channel to 6 hours since that's the whites. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Saltyman said:

Yes, my light schedule is similar to Jackals in my Biocube 16, works well. My lights are on a little longer than his cuz I increased my times when my palys started stretching for more light. I think his schedule is a good starting point. If you’re getting algae, wondering if you may need a bigger clean up crew? 

Yes I just added a bunch more snails and hermits. Have about ten now. Hoping that helps. Getting the light schedule closer to it. Will probably add an hour every week. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Saltyman said:

Yes I just added a bunch more snails and hermits. Have about ten now. Hoping that helps. Getting the light schedule closer to it. Will probably add an hour every week. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks for the help. 

Oh yeah, you probably need even more CUC for a 32... check out the recommendations on ReefCleaners.com for your tank size... I go by what he suggests and have way more than 10 in my Biocube 16. 

• 8 months later...

I just bought a biocube 32G Should I see the light ramping up and ramping down?    I dont see anything happening !  Just appears to go from white to blues not gradual happening.   I have it set like this :

1) 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm 

2) 2:30 pm - 8:30 pm

3) 7:30 am - 10:00 pm 

Thanks 

On 3/7/2020 at 10:28 PM, bigjoe495 said:

I just bought a biocube 32G Should I see the light ramping up and ramping down?    I dont see anything happening !  Just appears to go from white to blues not gradual happening.   I have it set like this :

1) 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm 

2) 2:30 pm - 8:30 pm

3) 7:30 am - 10:00 pm 

Thanks 

Channel 2 is your ramping.  With your current settings you'll see it start to ramp up at 2:30 and go to full daylight at 3.  

Your sunset needs to change to 9 (or change channel 1 to 8:30) to see it otherwise it overlaps.  If it's at 9 it'll ramp down until 9:30 and then blues until 10.

You'll still see some sudden changes but it softens the transitions. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just got the 32 bio cube tank and found your guys post looking for info on setting up the lighting schedule, so I’m not sure if I understand so , I hope you guys can help. LC2 does it ramp up 30 min. Before actual time set, I understand that it has a 30 min ramp down from reading jackals post and i saw he set lc1 n lc2 to shut off at the same time cause of it. Also you posted shut off of LC3 midnight and it shuts down at 12:30 am so I’m assuming it also has a ramp down time. How’s everyone tank running btw. I hope everyone is doing good in this pandemic and thanks for all your help

Edited by Chills619
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Chills619 said:

LC2 does it ramp up 30 min. Before actual time set, I understand that it has a 30 min ramp down from reading jackals post and i saw he set lc1 n lc2 to shut off at the same time cause of it. Also you posted shut off of LC3 midnight and it shuts down at 12:30 am so I’m assuming it also has a ramp down time.

LC2 will start ramping up at the 1st time set and start ramping down at the 2nd time set.  So if it's set 10:30 to 7 then your sunrise is from 10:30 to 11 and sunset from 7 to 7:30.

L3 is the same way.   It'll slowly fade in and out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Chills619 said:

I just got the 32 bio cube tank and found your guys post looking for info on setting up the lighting schedule, so I’m not sure if I understand so , I hope you guys can help. LC2 does it ramp up 30 min. Before actual time set, I understand that it has a 30 min ramp down from reading jackals post and i saw he set lc1 n lc2 to shut off at the same time cause of it. Also you posted shut off of LC3 midnight and it shuts down at 12:30 am so I’m assuming it also has a ramp down time. How’s everyone tank running btw. I hope everyone is doing good in this pandemic and thanks for all your help

5 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

LC2 will start ramping up at the 1st time set and start ramping down at the 2nd time set.  So if it's set 10:30 to 7 then your sunrise is from 10:30 to 11 and sunset from 7 to 7:30.

L3 is the same way.   It'll slowly fade in and out. 

Yes, what Jackal227 said. 🙂 I’m glad you asked... I should redo my little diagram to make that more clear. My Biocubes fade until they both turn all the way off at 1:30 am. 

Congrats on your new tank!! Mine are doing well... I really love Biocubes, hope you enjoy yours!

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Chills619
On 4/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, banasophia said:

Yes, what Jackal227 said. 🙂 I’m glad you asked... I should redo my little diagram to make that more clear. My Biocubes fade until they both turn all the way off at 1:30 am. 

Congrats on your new tank!! Mine are doing well... I really love Biocubes, hope you enjoy yours!

Thank for your help Jackal227 n Banasophia. 

I'm actually currantly running your diagram set up Banasophia. 

I work a swing shit so I'm able to catch the tanks sunrise and I get home before lights out at 1:30am. Was thinking of maybe changing the lc2 to 9pm so it can shut of at 9:30. 

The tank just finished cycling and I ended up finding some nicer live rocks and changed everythig.  I think this was not a smart move i followed that with  introduced clean up crew n jumped into fish n a few pieces of soft coral.

20200502_135102.jpg

• Like 1
banasophia
On 5/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, Chills619 said:

I work a swing shit so I'm able to catch the tanks sunrise and I get home before lights out at 1:30am.

Hehe now that’s what I’d call a Freudian shit 😂🤣 I didn’t like working those hours either, but nights were the worst!! 

Your tank looks great already, looking forward to following your progress. Tag me if you do a build thread! 🙏

• 2 weeks later...
smoothette

I just set up my first Nano Reef.. i chose biocube 32, set it up a week ago, used live sand, Natures ocean water, Dry rock i have a skimmer, and my biocube has the led's  i will use the light schedule mentioned above.. but i need some help... My tank is running hot, about 82 to 84 .. my house stays about 79 degrees now that the weather is getting warmer (texas here ) i did order a zoo med fan for it, but not sure how that will work with the closed lid... .. i also set up a Fluvol sea evo 13.5 gallon as a type of quarantine tank for the fishes/corals before i add to the big tank, used the same things.... natures ocean live sand/water i used dried barnacles and frag stands so fishes have a place to hide but its easier to catch them... and this tank has no issue with water temp staying at 78 degrees... heater in both, but set at 75  just as a precaution.... again any help with any of this as i am BRAND new to nano tanks.... about 10 years ago i had a 80 fish/mushroom/zoa tank and loved it... but dont have the space for it where i live now... look forward to seeing what everyone has going....Pics are a bit hazy because i pulled my cycle shrimp out today and it fell appart... sorry

13 gal.jpg

32 gal.jpg

• 2 months later...

Curious if anyone has played with the settings on the BioCube to get more of the blue light as a mainstay during the day. We have had our cube for about a year now and everything has grown great. We added a Fluval Flex a month or so ago and it has customizable lighting through bluetooth and it’s app. Basically it allows us to focus blue light with some white but accent the coral colors in a way you see in stores and grow centers. Is anyone manipulating the cube settings to do something like this?

• Like 1
On 5/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, smoothette said:

I just set up my first Nano Reef.. i chose biocube 32, set it up a week ago, used live sand, Natures ocean water, Dry rock i have a skimmer, and my biocube has the led's  i will use the light schedule mentioned above.. but i need some help... My tank is running hot, about 82 to 84 .. my house stays about 79 degrees now that the weather is getting warmer (texas here ) i did order a zoo med fan for it, but not sure how that will work with the closed lid... .. i also set up a Fluvol sea evo 13.5 gallon as a type of quarantine tank for the fishes/corals before i add to the big tank, used the same things.... natures ocean live sand/water i used dried barnacles and frag stands so fishes have a place to hide but its easier to catch them... and this tank has no issue with water temp staying at 78 degrees... heater in both, but set at 75  just as a precaution.... again any help with any of this as i am BRAND new to nano tanks.... about 10 years ago i had a 80 fish/mushroom/zoa tank and loved it... but dont have the space for it where i live now... look forward to seeing what everyone has going....Pics are a bit hazy because i pulled my cycle shrimp out today and it fell appart... sorry

13 gal.jpg

32 gal.jpg

Mine was running hot also. I bought a little $20 fan from bed, bath and beyond and mounted it above the tank. It keeps it at a solid 78. 

20200817_204047.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SilentFate said:

Curious if anyone has played with the settings on the BioCube to get more of the blue light as a mainstay during the day. We have had our cube for about a year now and everything has grown great. We added a Fluval Flex a month or so ago and it has customizable lighting through bluetooth and it’s app. Basically it allows us to focus blue light with some white but accent the coral colors in a way you see in stores and grow centers. Is anyone manipulating the cube settings to do something like this?

Sure, I would think you could just adjust the schedule so your blues are on earlier to enjoy that phase for longer... I’ll probably end up doing that in my 32 because the corals in that tank look so much better under blues. I’d still try to run the whites though to be sure the corals get enough energy. I really want to rent a par meter from BRS to check the par readings during the different phases, but I haven’t had a chance yet. 

Someone in the Facebook Biocube group added a couple cheap blue light strips to theirs, not sure how that ended up for them. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Srt4eric said:

You dont see any extra algae growth with your lights in that long?

I use stock lights and run them long in all 3 of my tanks to compensate for them possibly being less powerful lights and because I stay up late and like to enjoy my tanks... I have a really heavy duty cleanup crew with tons of snails in all my tanks... reef cleaners crew plus some Mexican turbos and ninja star snails.

The only place I really have a problem with algae is in the 16 growing on the GSP on the back wall because the snails don’t tend to remove it from there... that tank is also heavily fed and has high nitrates and phosphates due to having to feed my nps corals... before the pandemic I would “hire” a sea hare to eat the algae every couple months... I don’t really go to my LFSs now, so it is more of an issue in that spot. I use the same schedule in my 32 and that tank is fed a normal amount - no algae issues on the GSP on the back wall. 

• Thanks 1

For anyone who has a weird schedule: you don't have to have your lights match the lighting outside. You could have your tank set up so the lights are on overnight, and off during the day, if that's when you're home to see the corals. As long as the light/dark schedule is reasonable, you can have the lights turn on at any time you like. Corals don't know if it's dark outside.