inTank Media Baskets

Smitten4Witten's Fluval Evo 13.5

Smitten4Witten

Smitten4Witten

I was originally a member back in the early to mid 00s and have had a few reef tanks from then till now. After a 3 year period of no tank the bug has bitten again. This will be a source for any and all updates to my trip down the rabbit hole for the 6 time..Also and unfortunately, I do not remember my user name from the older days so I had to create a new one. Go Cowboys. This is day one and all is stock for now:

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome back to the community @Smitten4Witten! If you ever remember your old username and want to merge your accounts, just let me know. Sometimes a fresh start is nice too :lol: 

What all do you have planned for your new nano reef? I really like your sand bed, it makes for quite a natural look. What kind of blend is it?

Smitten4Witten

@ninjamyst I want to add their skimmer and see how that goes and depending on stocking decisions I might want to increase flow.

@Christopher Marks, glad to be back man! It makes me happy to see this site still thriving, as far as planning is concerned I have been thinking of just starting simple with a pair of clowns and softies, who knows from there. I am really impressed with all of the improvements as far as equipment is concerned in the hobby as well as what is possible in nano tanks these days.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Our 17th year on the web, can you believe it?! We sure have come a long ways from AGA aquariums, power compacts fluorescents, and aquaclear filters :lol: 

I guess I haven't seen sand with the dark granules blended in before, but it's possible I've just been oblivious! I like it!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smitten4Witten said:

@ninjamyst I want to add their skimmer and see how that goes and depending on stocking decisions I might want to increase flow.

read mixed reviews on their skimmer.  i have the same tank and thinking about putting some chaeto in the middle chamber.  I am running a MJ1200 as the return pump but it's a bit noisy and barely fits.

Hi and welcome back. I have this tank also. I was not a fan of the skimmer. I found it inefficient and noisey, so I removed it.

I have the InTank chamber 1 basket with filter floss > purigen > carbon. In chamber 2 I have the IM minimax reactor. I am running a little phosgaurd in the reactor at the moment to help with algae issues. I also upgraded the stock return pump to a Sicce 0.5. Its tight getting the pump in and out of the chamber but it does fit, and it runs quiet.  

• Like 1
Smitten4Witten

Thanks for the info! Have not made any decisions as of yet but I will gladly take any feedback on what works and does not in this setup.

Smitten4Witten

One week later 2 chromis are helping things move along in cycle as well as a CUC and small kenya tree frag to test waters. CUC is gnarly quick and efficient. Also added a PH.

IMG_9926.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

:welcome:back to Nano-Reef! Tank's looking very nice!

On 1/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Our 17th year on the web, can you believe it?! We sure have come a long ways from AGA aquariums, power compacts fluorescents, and aquaclear filters :lol: 

I guess I haven't seen sand with the dark granules blended in before, but it's possible I've just been oblivious! I like it!

Hey, some of us are still using AGA tanks and AquaClears! :lol: And I'd totally still use my t5 fixture if they still made bulbs for it lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Smitten4Witten

How things are at around 6 weeks, weekly water changes, Current USA IC Pro + stock lighting, a pair of clowns, purple psuedochromis, and a few frags. The tank is really behaving well so far. No dosing, just feeding a frozen reef mix to the fish and corals biweekly. The Hydor PH gets turned on randomly to push water but is not constantly on, I have noticed the residents enjoy this more and there is greater polyp extension. Future plans are to continue with weekly maintenance and watch the growth! Looking to add more acans, zoos, and perhaps a couple others along those lines. I beg for forgiveness on the photographs, I aim to eventually have better representations.

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Smitten4Witten

Coming right up on 2 months. A few more frags added including a green ricordea, cloves, acans, and a larger zoanthind colony. Everything else is doing well and am noticing growth. Religous weekly water changes around 15-20% and feeding reefroids as well as a frozen reef mix biweekly. The purple psuedochromis had to go back to the LFS for eating a sexy shrimp. I was bummed but found a great bicolor blenny to round out the triad. I was able to replace the sexy shrimp with 2 more that are constantly doing their thing. All in all, things are going great and I am very much enjoying my 6th tank in almost 15 years. One day I will outgrow this one and will consider a larger tank, maybe around 40 gallons.

Tank3.JPG

Smitten4Witten

I took out the sponge and its contents and am running filter floss in the 1st chamber as well as a bag of chemipure elite tossed in. Thats about it.

leaveittoweaver
32 minutes ago, Smitten4Witten said:

I took out the sponge and its contents and am running filter floss in the 1st chamber as well as a bag of chemipure elite tossed in. Thats about it.

Thanks for the info! Do you run anything in the second chamber? And is your floss on the top or the bottom? And where is the chemipure? Sorry for all the questions!

Smitten4Witten

I do not run anything in the second chamber, the floss is in the first right at the surface skimmer. The chemipure is sort of hanging right below it in the same chamber. Not a problem I am happy to help!