SaltCritters.com

uchiha's Via Aqua 18g

Sushi

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed this thread completely, now I see it, and the via agua 18 tank is looking great uchiha. Nice move to an 18 gallon with halide. I am going to do a similar route as you in about a few months.

thanks for the compliments kappa.

as for a open tank, top down shot ... i'll try to get one once i clean out some frags i have in my tank.

i did get many requests to see the equipment i have in the back... so i snapped a pic to show you guys what it looks like. (btw, this is when i had my actinics on)

on the left: prizm deluxe protein skimmer.

on the right: millenium 2000 HOB filter (modified fuge)

speaking of actinics, i squished in a previous 36w PC lamp to increase my lighting to:

1x150w DE HQI 20K MH fixture

1x36w Actinic 03

1x3LED Moonlights

...the actinic is purely for dusk/dawn... i have it set up to a timer to turn on ~1.5hr BEFORE and ~1.5hr AFTER the MH goes on/off. when the MH is on, the actinic 03's are OFF!!!. like i said, this is only for dusk/dawn viewing. this way i can increase my photoperiod without wasting electricity and "burn-time" on my MH.

My photoperiod goes as follows:

10:00 AM --Actinics ON

11:30 AM --Actinics OFF, MH ON

7:30 PM --Actinics ON, MH OFF

9:00 PM --Actinics OFF

*Moonlights on 24/7

here's how my retro looks (glass was removed for picture taking purposes so there was no glare). so far no heat problems, thank god i got a fan blowing down on it... :)

ok...so that's it for my equipment update... (go back 1 pg to see my 150w MH + *NEW* 36w PC addition) ...so last one for tonight, a coral related picture :)

i had pix of this in my "nano-cube thread" but i've since moved the tubastrea into the ViaAqua.

behold, a pic of it in its new home...!

i was concerned about the PC lamp cracking/bursting due to the heat as well...

to counter that problem i ran the lights reverse of one another so that both PC and MH would never be on at the same time reducing the overall "heat" in the hood.

i've been running this setup for 1 week so far (luckily w/o incident), i just retrofitted the PC back into the hood last week. i have no problems with this setup as of now, but i'm not going to say that i'm 100% sure that there are no adverse affects on the MH bulb being so close to the PC lamp. *keep in mind, i have a fan blowing at the fixture whenever the lights are on; this keeps the hood considerably cool... it only gets "warm-hot" to the touch if i place my hand on it. not nearly enough to burn my hand ;) in about 1 month, if the PC lamp is still intact and functioning, i will assume that the PC lamp is able to withstand the heat from the MH.

for those wondering what we're talking about ... i have pix on PAGE 4... and u can see the distance between MH bulb & PC lamp is < 1 cm.

tank update coming soon!

thanks for the compliments!! means a lot 2 me :D

in_flight, thanks for those inspiring words... i never thought i'd be receiving those comments anytime soon. :blush:

had the gorg for about a month and a half ...

sux to hear they're banned in NZ... they're quite common in the US, but health of these corals are somethng more difficult to maintain. i traded my red gorg into my LFS b/c it wasn't doing too well in my tank... as for the yellows, they've adapted to my tank very well, and are extremely healthy... polyps are extended for the majority of the day...

thank you :) ...i'm going to stop adding things for now and let things just grow out ... unless i find any blastomussa wellsi :)!

on a bad note, i saw a couple flatworms on my LR, and i'm not too happy about that... currently i'm syphoning them out, but i doubht it will remove those annoying pieces of crap. i will add a 6-line wrass soon, if all else fails i will use flat-worm exit. these things took over my nano-cube and i don't want it to mess up my via-aqua!

Uchiha, your tank is sweet! That thing is packed to the gills. No pun intended...

I have an 18g Via Aqua too, but it's not looking as good as your. Yet... HAHA! I still have the stock lighting, but your tank makes me want to do a similar upgrade. Can't afford it right now though...

Is that blue paint or paper on the back? I really like how it adds to the blue hue of everything. Mine's still uncovered but I'm thinking of changing it so that you can't see the equipment in back. Anyways, keep up the nice work.

thanks apex.

it's blue paint in the back. if i could re-paint it i would paint it dark blue (almost black)... only b/c it brings out the colors of the corals more. i highly suggest the lighting upgrade, it's by far the best thing i've ever done to my via-aqua.

again, thanks for the compliments :)!

Archived