Innovative Marine Aquariums

uchiha's Via Aqua 18g

Sushi

tigah, to tell you the truth, i can't find blue shrooms at any LFS around here in san diego. i got that guy locally from a fellow reefer. i often see the "blue-striped" versions more than i see the "blue-spotted" versions... but i guess that depends on how hard you're looking for them :P

if you can't find any in LA, you can always order online... drs fostersmith seems like they sometimes stock blue shrooms. never ordered corals from them, but i hear that they do a decent job (even tho price is very high) ...here's a link to their website.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by uchiha

Some Tank Specs as of 9/27/04

Equipment:

1x150w HQI DE MH running 20k Ushio bulb

1xPrizm Deluxe Protein Skimmer

1xMillenium 2000 HOB filter

1xMinijet 606 with Hydor flow deflector

1xMaxijet 1200 wired to a "random" timer

How much did all the equipment cost you.. and why did you switch to MH? Was the included lighting (2x36W) not enough?

*edit and where did you put the skimmer?

i put the skimmer on the back (left side) and the millenium HOB filter on the right side.

i upgraded to MH only b/c i wanted more options with what i wanted to keep. i wanted a clam, and i'm trying out SPS corals, so i figured why not get the best? also, every website i look, they keep zoanthids under MH lighting, so i figure it must be good for something. 2x36w PC compared to 1x150w MH is a HUGE difference, and i HIGHLY suggest the upgrade. if you're a serious reefer, you'll want to invest in MH in the long run.

keep in mind this setup was "used" i bought it as an empty tank. i think the entire set-up including the live-stock & rocks cost roughly ~$500. i also got a lot of stuff from trades too...i haven't kept a tally, but i'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten over that. this includes ALL equipment and stuff in the tank... if i bought everything "new," i would expect the total to be near the $750+ mark. (this is just an estimate)

*edit* LampDr. sells his 150w retro's for $200+ shipping... PM him for details on the 150w or 70w MH's ...

We'll.. I found the tank package online (light and tank) for $160 and I am considering moving from an eclipse 6 to that. Right now I have some shrooms and polyps but am considering getting more serious into it. How much was the MH upgrade?

if you put a metal halide over your zoanthids you'll wonder why you ever bought power compacts, it makes that much difference. plus it makes them grow like weeds :D

retrofit kit was $200 (including bulb & shipping), msg nano-reefer LampDr. he's an EXTREMELY good person to deal with, and i highly recommend his kits.

supernip: my skills aren't that good, my glass is cracked down the middle b/c i didn't get tempered glass, at least it's 97% UV blocking glass. i have to keep a fan on the fixture constantly when it's on or else i'm afraid it'll shatter :P

as for zoo's under MH, my zoo's have never looked sweeter :) things start to brighten up, and i don't even have actinics on my setup... if i have time i'm going to try and squish a 36w actinic back in, i wonder how much things will color up with that!! :)

these are my red & blue zoanthids... they contrast so well with each other i couldn't have found a better place for them, i can't wait till they grow out :happy:

ok, last pic of the day, a special one too!

here's an idea of the CRAP that my skimmer pulls from my tank. i didn't empty the collection cup for about 5 days... remember, i have a prizm deluxe skimmer, which isn't the BEST skimmer to own, but nevertheless it's still useful :) just imagine all that crap in the tank... ugh

cheers! :D

:x:x:x jk :x:x:x

Wow, your tank is looking incredible. Love that blasto, I'm trying to find a couple different merleti to add to my tank, they look so cool, and they grow faster than the B. wellsi. Nice photos too, can you get a farther colony shot of the blasto? Thanks, keep us updated!

~BH20

thanks, i love blastos too... it took me a while to find a nice specimin though. i'll try to get a nice pic of the entire colony... :)

uchiha maybe you can help me. I'm new to nano tanks, just picked up my first 7 gallon bow yesterday. However I'm not so new to saltwater tanks. My biggest concern is the lighting my tank came with. I've searched everywhere for a cool fixture that can hold a 70 watt halide, but cannot seem to find any. After looking at your light I am really impressed. If it’s not too much to ask do you think you could tell me information on the type fixture and where you purchased things like ballast and so on? Any information would be great.

THX- Hi, the actual fixture is the standard ViaAqua hood. All i did was remove the bulbs, drill some holes, and screw the socket in place so that it wouldn't move around.

the actual bulb/socket/ballast setup i bought from LampDr., he's one of the best people i've dealt with and is highly recommended. he sells 70w and 150w setups including the MH bulb. here's a thread to lead you to one of his older threads. PM him if you are interested in his setups.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=29230

Thanks so much for the information. I already contacted the LampDr about the retro kit. I really like the look of your lights are those 20K Ushios. I'm running 10K Ushios on my main tank but I think I'm going to switch them up after seeing how nice all your stuff looks under that lighting. Your tank is Amazing I hope mine looks that nice someday.

no problem THX1138. thanks for the compliments... :)

i put a lot of time and $ in the tank (which i should cut back on)... now that my wallet is empty i dunno if i'll be adding anything soon. still waiting for my fragpacks.com order to get in... i'll update again once things get settled in.

here's a slightly zoomed out pic of my blastomussa... not too diff. from one posted above. there are other "heads" on the other side, kinda hard to take pix from that angle so here's a frontal shot.

Archived