Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Homemade T5 Led hybrid or budget dual LED

Thatoneomahaguy

Thatoneomahaguy

Currently I have single ocean revive LED fixture over my 40 gallon breeder and I am not quite happy with the coverage. After seeing the new T5 LED hybrid that recently came out it seems like it would be easy to make the same thing. I was thinking of getting two T5 fixtures (probably 24 or 30 inch) and making a mount/holder using angle aluminum. Should be pretty easy. The other option for about the same cost would be purchasing a second ocean revive fixture to get better coverage. Any opinions on which would be better? Currently I have some zoas, green monti, green acro, hammer coral, and some basic acan frags. I want to go with whichever options allows the most variety and mixed reef options.  Any thoughts?! Thanks!

I can't say which would work better, as it depends on so many factors. However, either will work.

If its of any help, I made a hybrid about 4 or 5 years ago. Pretty much what you are thinking of doing. I used 16 LED's. 4 neutral white, 4 blue, and 4 royal blue, then 3 royal blues as moonlights. Had Phillips advanced ballasts for 2 pairs of 30" t5ho's with 2 styles of individual reflectors. The outside set had wider reflectors to get the spread, the inside set had tight reflectors. Everything was mounted to a frame made from aluminum picture frame cut to size. I used that because the little corner things used to secure the corners made it easier than trying to drill and screw angle aluminum. I kept many sps, LPS, softies, as well as a few clams under it quite fine. Sorry, no pics.

Here's what I used.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/nielsen-bainbridge-metal-frame-kits/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=17417-2008&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzeLLrZWp1wIVhx-GCh0fpwEnEAQYAiABEgKP_vD_BwE

Thatoneomahaguy
9 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I can't say which would work better, as it depends on so many factors. However, either will work.

If its of any help, I made a hybrid about 4 or 5 years ago. Pretty much what you are thinking of doing. I used 16 LED's. 4 neutral white, 4 blue, and 4 royal blue, then 3 royal blues as moonlights. Had Phillips advanced ballasts for 2 pairs of 30" t5ho's with 2 styles of individual reflectors. The outside set had wider reflectors to get the spread, the inside set had tight reflectors. Everything was mounted to a frame made from aluminum picture frame cut to size. I used that because the little corner things used to secure the corners made it easier than trying to drill and screw angle aluminum. I kept many sps, LPS, softies, as well as a few clams under it quite fine. Sorry, no pics.

Here's what I used.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/nielsen-bainbridge-metal-frame-kits/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=17417-2008&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzeLLrZWp1wIVhx-GCh0fpwEnEAQYAiABEgKP_vD_BwE

Thanks so much for the link. That certainly be a cleaner look.

47 minutes ago, rog2961 said:

They have blue cobs now from citizen that you can run at 50w a piece. Add in some white cobs and you can have a system running for under 300 for a 6ft tank

To be clear, I already have one of the ocean revive LED. I will not need to DIY any LED projects.